2 replies to this topic

#1 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 03 December 2001 - 01:20 AM

Has anyone seen or heard of the movie The Moonraker. It is a U.S. Civil War movie starring George Baker of On Her Majesty's Secret Service and The Spy Who Loved Me fame. And has characters named Strangeways and Harcourt. Bond connections all over this thing but I've never heard of it until I looked up Mr. Baker on Imdb.

#2 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 03 December 2001 - 02:21 AM

The only reference, I know of, to "The Moonraker" is a novel written around 1957 (your thread title reminded me of it, Mr.*) about a high-altitude experimental bomber (a-la B52) on a shack-down flight. It was a thriller in the style of Fail-Safe in that the test flight became an actual mission to bomb Moscow, I think.

When I discovered this novel in a secondhand book shop I thought the book was related to Moonraker, based on the title I saw.

It was a good thriller in any case.

#3 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 03 December 2001 - 06:57 PM

Nothing to do with the film or the novel, but last year I was on some business in Cornwall, England and just up the street from my B & B was an antiques shop called 'The Moonraker Gallery'. I never got the chance to go in mind because I was always working.