2 replies to this topic

#1 DJ

DJ

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 December 2001 - 12:45 AM

All I have to say is, Brazil are the luckiest team in the whole competition. If they fail to win al three games, I will be sorely shocked at what must be a lack of commitment if they lose to either Turkey, China PR or Senegal.

I am happy with the Republic of Ireland's group, we can get through scond and face Spain in the second round. I don't expect to beat Germany, but I expect to beat Saudi Arabia and at least a draw against Cameroon.

I feel genuinely sorry for all the English, Nigerian, Swedish and Argentinian people out there. You have the hardest group, and anyone who qualifies from it in first place must surely be one of the favourites to win the competition. However, if you finish second, that means a game against the winner of Group A which means you are more than likely to face France, a daunting task now for any team. Ireland, if they get through in second, will face the winner of Group B. That could be Spain, but they are known as the underachievers in big competitions so that could be a good sign for the Irish.

As for the other teams, I'll think about them when they walk in Irelands way, but good luck to the English, they need all the luck that they can get in a group like that.

#2 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 02 December 2001 - 08:56 AM

I suppose you're talking about soccer.:)

#3 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 02 December 2001 - 08:58 PM

As an Englishman I don't relish our boys taking on Argentina, Nigeria and Sweden. But, this isn't whats really bothering me. What bothers me is the ridiculous times the matches will be shown over here in the UK. Who is gonna be able to watch them? Most people will be at work, like me, and I doubt my bosses will let us listen to the game on the radio (or watch a TV) in the office. Its not fair!