7 replies to this topic

#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 10:43 PM

With Ian Fleming's novel From Russia with Love, we're offered quite a variety of villains to see work out a plan for the death of James Bond. Which villain though, do you think stands out best in the book?

(If not listed here, feel free to suggest another.)

Kronsteen, Grant, Klebb, Grubozaboyschikov...

#2 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 11:19 PM

I've always had a soft spot for Kronsteen. Ever since I first saw him playing chess in FRWL and the read about it later he just seemed the perfect mastermind. Still, he doesn't directly threaten Bond so I would have to narrow it to Klebb and Grant. Klebb did manage to 'kill' Bond in the end but she was able to do so due to Bond's gun getting stuck, if that hadn't have happened, she'd never have gotten the chance. Therefore, my vote goes to Grant because it is he who truly puts Bond on the ropes and tests his ability to think fast and react faster (the cigarette case blocking the bullet). Some may argue that Klebb actually came the closest to killing him, but to me it almost seems like it was out of default. Grant was the true test.

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 11:36 PM

What you say about the character of Kronsteen though is very interesting. I always liked him in both the film and the novel, a true master planner.

#4 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 08:25 AM

Grant for me is the most chilling Fleming villain, just a cool, methodical psychotic assassin.

#5 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 09:02 AM

Oh, Grant of course. Any man with a windsor tie should never be trusted :) Although Klebb was an interesting character, and offered a truely creepy (yet comedic :)) scene with Tatiana.

#6 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 12:11 PM

Indeed Icephoenix, perhaps Klebb should get the nod for looking like the oldest, ugliest whore in the world in her see through orange nightie (I think it was orange). In any case, truly diabolical. (I wonder how long it's going to be before I shake this mental picture now...)

#7 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 01:27 PM

Grant is the best. He was sly and he got to OO7 without a problem. He was tough and almost kicked bond's :).

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 05:11 PM

"got to 007 without a problem" ...well he was apart of Smersh's plan for it, so you can include them as well.