12 replies to this topic

#1 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 27 November 2001 - 10:16 PM

Maybe it's just me but when I check the who's online lately, I've seen a good deal more anonymous readers. It seems interest in the forums is peeking from the non-regular users. Well let me be the first to say to all of the anonymi out there, go ahead and register, and join in on the conversation. We don't bite (except maybe Blofeld's Cat, and we have a nice diamond studded collar and leash to make sure he stays in line).

#2 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 28 November 2001 - 06:49 AM

Mister Asterix (28 Nov, 2001):
Lately there have been twelve to fifteen. I suspect with the publicity that CBN has gotten lately that there are a lot of checking out going on.

I reckon you're suspicions are correct, Mr A. The general buildup to the next Bond movie is attracting onlookers, and may be some who originally registered previously, then left, are coming back to check out the site again.

That's kind of why I asked the anon to 'join in on the conversation' instead of just 'make a post'. I guess I should change my statment to 'check out the forum then join in on the conversation'

I only just realised the other day that you did not have to be a registered member to join in the General Discussion forum.

So you are right that the "anons" should feel they can join in at any time. Then later, if they are happy with what they see, they can register.

#3 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 28 November 2001 - 05:17 AM

Just been thinking about this a little.

I'd rather that anonymous readers look carefully throughout the forums and take their time to make a committed decision to join up.

It's unfortunate that the bottom of the members list is littered with one and two timers that last logged on a fair while ago.

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 28 November 2001 - 05:00 AM

It's great when new readers join. A lot have from time to time to comment on big news. But seeing the forums have only been around since Feb 2001 312 members ain't all that bad!

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 28 November 2001 - 05:21 AM

A very good point Blofelds Cat, you have to wonder about a few of those members, as to why they signed up in the first place. What's the thought process?

#6 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 28 November 2001 - 06:07 AM

Blofeld's Cat (28 Nov, 2001 01:17 a.m.):
Some of the "anonymous" readers may actually be members who are doing likewise.

Sure, I see those all the time. But usually when nobody else is online there are will have been about five to ten anonymous users. Lately there have been twelve to fifteen. I suspect with the publicity that CBN has gotten lately that there are a lot of checking out going on.

Blofeld's Cat (28 Nov, 2001 05:17 a.m.):
I'd rather that anonymous readers look carefully throughout the forums and take their time to make a committed decision to join up.

Yeah, you're right about that BC. That's kind of why I asked the anon to 'join in on the conversation' instead of just 'make a post'. I guess I should change my statment to 'check out the forum then join in on the conversation'

But I do want the real Bond fans checking out CBN to know that of all of the forums, this is the creme. CBN was probably the eleventeenth Bond forum that I checked out before I seriously joined one. (I am one of those annoying one-posters on one of the other forums.)

#7 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 29 November 2001 - 01:31 AM

As for my demeanor, I'm just a big cuddly pussycat at heart who sometimes like wearing that studded collar and leash and leathers and rubber mask and....oops!

I think that may have just scared off any anonymous readers who were seriously considering joing CB.N :)

#8 walther

walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 November 2001 - 03:41 AM

Well, my computer always remembers me somehow, cause I'm always logged in when I access CBN on my computer. Oh, well... I love it here! Eat your heart out Bond20.com!

#9 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 28 November 2001 - 02:32 AM

But I have to say that when I first enter the forums I don't always immediately log on until I see a thread I want to respond to.

I often do that.

#10 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 28 November 2001 - 01:17 AM

I resemble your remarks about me, Mr A.:)

But I have to say that when I first enter the forums I don't always immediately log on until I see a thread I want to respond to.

Some of the "anonymous" readers may actually be members who are doing likewise.

As for my demeanor, I'm just a big cuddly pussycat at heart who sometimes like wearing that studded collar and leash and leathers and rubber mask and....oops!

The cat's out of the restraints now!:)

#11 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 29 November 2001 - 01:29 AM

That sounds about right, Mr. Cat, because a while back I recall some people posting in the "general disscussion" and did so without any profile or anything, just a name.

#12 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 28 November 2001 - 09:25 AM

Blue Eyes (28 Nov, 2001 08:46 a.m.):
You serious? God I never knew that. I doubt Dave does as well. Well we'll leave it, give the Anon users somewhere to feel at home :) This is like a revelation to me!

Blue Eyes, this is only an assumption on my part, and as we all know that only makes an "[censored]" out of "u" and "mption".:)

Sometimes I don't login when roaming the forums, but when I go to post a reply CBN prompts me by bringing up the login window.

That doesn't happen in the General Discussion forum. Instead, when you want to post a reply the "reply to topic" window pops up as per usual, but this time the username and e-mail fields are blank. These must be filled in before the post can be posted. Once I put in my username and e-mail but I was told they were already been used by someone else (even though I hadn't logged on yet).

Based on that I assume that anyone can put any name and e-mail address to post their message.

I have not tested this theory yet, but it seems to make sense to me.

Sort of.;)

#13 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 28 November 2001 - 08:46 AM

Blofeld's Cat (28 Nov, 2001 06:49 a.m.):
I only just realised the other day that you did not have to be a registered member to join in the General Discussion forum.

You serious? God I never knew that. I doubt Dave does as well. Well we'll leave it, give the Anon users somewhere to feel at home :) This is like a revelation to me!