20 replies to this topic

#1 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 06:49 PM

Didn't even know it existed, until I saw it on eBay: a German version of R. D. Mascott's "003 1/2 - The Adventures of James Bond Junior". Got it today (at a throwaway price of 1,50). But now... where to place it on the shelf, where to put it on my list? I wouldn't dare put it to "canon" (Fleming/Amis/Wood/Gardner/Benson), but do I place under "semi-canon", like the Pearson bio (as it was originally published by Glidrose), or maybe "spoofs", or just "miscelaneous"??

Funnily enough, just two days after I won it, another one showed up on eBay. For the intersted folks, have a look! For the geeks: grab it, it's only 1,25 (buy at once): http://cgi.ebay.de/w...6927885649&rd=1

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 07:59 PM

I keep it next to my copies of Thrilling Cities, The Diamond Smugglers, and Colonel Sun.

I would say it would fit like the Pearson book the on the list.

#3 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 08:06 PM

You could put it next the James Bond Jr. Books and then throw in the Silverfish book when it is published too.

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 08:10 PM

As it was published by Jonathan Cape in the UK, I keep my UK first edition right up there on the shelf with my other firsts. Looks good. My US edition is with my James Bond Jr. stuff.

#5 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 21 September 2004 - 02:19 AM

If I had that book Heiko I'd put it in date order within my collection. I don't subcategorise my Bond books, just have them in date-of-1st-published order.

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 03:07 AM

Interesting cover on that one for sale, very similar to the one I have. Always focus on those dogs.

#7 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 08:50 PM

If I had that book Heiko I'd put it in date order within my collection. I don't subcategorise my Bond books, just have them in date-of-1st-published order.

Thanks for the suggestions anyone.

Normally I'd do it that way, Brett. But since I have various editions, this would result in a terrible mess on my shelf :) Have to re-sort them anyway as I'll be running out of space on my Bond shelf soon, so I'll have to expand to the non-Bond shelf. (You know you're a Bond geek when you have an extra-shelf for your non-Bond stuff :) ).

I think that I'll put it next to the likes of Pearson Bio, Snelling Report, Every Man His Own etc.

#8 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 10:10 PM

I keep it next to my copies of Thrilling Cities, The Diamond Smugglers, and Colonel Sun.

Very good, Qwerty. Mine sits two down from CS, between Thrilling Cities and Horror Wears Blue.

#9 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 10:13 PM

As it was published by Jonathan Cape in the UK, I keep my UK first edition right up there on the shelf with my other firsts. Looks good. My US edition is with my James Bond Jr. stuff.

Zencat,

I have the Random House US first, does the Cape better match the Fleming Cape's size and style-wise. If so, maybe I'll invest in a Brit first.

Thanks,

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 02:04 AM

Very good, Qwerty. Mine sits two down from CS, between Thrilling Cities and Horror Wears Blue.

LOL. Perfect Clink. :)

#11 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:10 PM

I will probably try to get my hands on this one, whatever you answer is, but I'm just curious... is it worth reading? Compair to all the other Bond books, YB books, Moneypenny book. Haven't read anything by Mascott/Calder before? Do it have a Fleming-ish style or..? What was the story back then? Any plans of a series of books?

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:56 PM

I will probably try to get my hands on this one, whatever you answer is, but I'm just curious... is it worth reading? Compair to all the other Bond books, YB books, Moneypenny book. Haven't read anything by Mascott/Calder before? Do it have a Fleming-ish style or..? What was the story back then? Any plans of a series of books?

I would recommended it. It makes for an interesting read in the series (espcecially so now as one can compare it to the Young Bond books).

007 Forever used to have a pretty good article on it--but that site seems to be gone now.

#13 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:08 AM

Interesting, and worth a read, but the current Young Bond series is much better.

#14 jimbo bond 007

jimbo bond 007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:42 PM

Just brought a UK copy of this book, interesting read but no where near as good as the current Young Bond books. Nice cover artwork and it is a book about James Bond after all (well sort of)!

#15 YellowDetective

YellowDetective

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:07 PM

Ok... Question: I notice on the sub-forum title, there is Arthur Calder Marshall... I knew he was considered one of the most likely candidates, but has Glidrose ever actually revealed who wrote as R.D. Mascott?

Personally, I liked the idea of the book being written by Roald Dahl, but what are ya gonna do?

#16 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:55 PM

Just brought a UK copy of this book, interesting read but no where near as good as the current Young Bond books.

True, but it was surprisingly more readable and interesting than I had thought it would be when I first got my copy.

#17 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:22 PM

I got my copy a few months ago and started reading it. I don't know if my motivation was low or whats wrong but i couldn't finish it. Just read it half-through when i put it back on the shelf. I thought it was terrible. Ok, as I said my motivation maybe wasn't the best and maybe I did judge it before reading it but it didn't work out for me. I promise I will give it a chance later on but for now...it doesn't work. Sorry

#18 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:40 PM

I confess I've never read it. Think I've read the first chapter and never continued. Not that it was bad. But it's clearly just a kids book with very little connection to James Bond.

#19 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:59 PM

I confess I've never read it. Think I've read the first chapter and never continued. Not that it was bad. But it's clearly just a kids book with very little connection to James Bond.

well I think you're absolutly right. I felt that it was maybe too childish and as you say it had little connection to James Bond. Big difference to the YB serie - I don't even think it is a child story when reading them.

#20 Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 381 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:25 AM

Disagree. As much as I love YB, 003 1/2 is a much better literary excercise and its structure is exactly that of a Fleming novel, only translated for a teenage audience and with a second level of reading about rites of passage.

#21 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

Is this one worth getting hold of? It's one of the few Bond novels that I don't own - although it's a literary precursor of the James Bond Jnr. cartoon series of the early '90s and the Higson 'Young Bond' series. I think it's quite rare as well as being quite expensive. Is it a good read?

I haven't read it in decades, but my recollection is that it's not very good. It doesn't have much relationship to the cartoon series, either. Higson's books are far superior.