22 replies to this topic

#1 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 14 November 2001 - 04:02 PM

Okay, if after Pierce is done, MGM demands to Mickey G. and Babs that an American play the role of James Bond, who would you get?

Blasphemy, you say? Well, it's just a topic of discussion, so calm down and think about it.

My Choice: James Marsters. The chap who plays Spike on Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Most people I've met think he's a Brit, but he's really just a California boy. He's a bit skinny but no more than Pierce when he first chosen for the role.
(And yes, I know I also picked Mr. Marsters as one of my choices to play Felix.)

#2 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 06:04 PM

Cyberwolf (15 Nov, 2001 07:54 a.m.):
surely there must be other decent brit actors, rather than look else where for a replacement?

There are more than enough decent Brit actors. Jude Law, Ewan McGregor, Colin Firth to name but a few. The Brits are going great at the moment... just look at the Golden Globes Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Jim Broadbent, Ewan McGregor, Kate Winslet... we're a talented bunch. That's what Bond's about I thought... showcasing British Talent like Judi Dench, Robbie Coltrane, Sean Bean... it's enough for MGM to force rather dodgy American actors like Denise Richards and Teri Hatcher.

I wouldn't like an American Bond.... nothing against you Americans but I don't reckon that most American actors can pull of that quiet, seething Britishness... the Irish, Scottish and Australians can somehow.

#3 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 05:40 PM

The character of James Bond is supposed to be British, having an American in the role would kind of defeat the idea of watching movies about a British spy. I can't even really picture an American British spy.

Besides, we already have an American Bond somewhat, played by Tom Cruise in the Mission Impossible movies.

#4 007luvchild

007luvchild

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 04:03 PM

James Marsters will probably be closely associated with Spike, therefore, I couldnt get that image out of my head. I would always know him Spike. He plays a character who is completely opposite of Bond. Two, I think he would be a better villain rather than James Bond. I really can't see him taking orders from M, however he would do well as a rogue agent. (Sure his character Spike takes order from Buffy because of that chip in his head). Some people would probably say Alexis Denioff (Wesley Wendym-Price from Angel), he would come off more charming, if only his character was not quite clumsy. (Yes, he his American, believe or not) However, I think there are some Americans I can say "Darn if only he had a British accent, he would have been perfect" and Two people come to mind: Dylan McDermott or Billy Zane.

#5 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 08:09 AM

Having an American Bond would, in the words of Ned Flanders, suck-didily-uck.

#6 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 30 December 2001 - 04:18 AM

I also can't believe he's an American (and I'm not being rude).

#7 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 30 December 2001 - 04:15 AM

I think that man Marsters would be fine as Bond.

Although I can't believe he's only 30. I'm not saying he isn't, just that I find it hard to believe.

#8 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 16 November 2001 - 04:52 AM

007luvchild (15 Nov, 2001 11:39 p.m.):
Spike as Bond? I don't think so

Why not? Other than the obvious fact that he is American, but that's the point of the topic now isn't it.

He's a very good actor. Can probably do whatever accent you want Bond to have. He does look a bit young (I think he's 30), but that won't be a problem by the time Pierce bows out. And though Pierce won People's 'Sexiest Man Alive', James Marsters led the Internet voting for actors by a wide margin on write-in votes alone. He had 302,969 votes, to the runner-ups 267,349. Russell Crowe only got 56,053.

So, I do not accept your clever argument of 'I don't think so'. Please, submit a new argument.

#9 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 09:40 PM

007luvchild (30 Dec, 2001 04:05 p.m.):
James Marsters will probably be closely associated with Spike, therefore, I couldnt get that image out of my head. I would always know him Spike. He plays a character who is completely opposite of Bond. Two, I think he would be a better villain rather than James Bond. I really can't see him taking orders from M, however he would do well as a rogue agent. (Sure his character Spike takes order from Buffy because of that chip in his head). Some people would probably say Alexis Denioff (Wesley Wendym-Price from Angel), he would come off more charming, if only his character was not quite clumsy. (Yes, he his American, believe or not) However, I think there are some Americans I can say "Darn if only he had a British accent, he would have been perfect" and Two people come to mind: Dylan McDermott or Billy Zane.

Well stated, Luvchild. I'll accept that arguement. However, I think with dark hair and a higher-class accent Mr. Marsters would easily shake the Spike image. Also I do think a bit of the bad boy image is needed for Bond.

(I have attached a photo of James Marsters with darker hair. Sorry about the low-res-iness of it.)

#10 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 10:00 PM

I'm not too fond of the idea of an American Bond actor, but then again, it all depends on how well they can act. Maybe not James Brolin, but how about Josh Brolin? He's got the looks, and he may be able to pull it off. Maybe even Val Kilmer could fill the shoes. Don't get me wrong, James Marsters may not be a bad choice. ??? Anyhoo, if they decide to keep putting British actors in the role, I think Ewan McGregor would do nicely. :)

#11 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 November 2001 - 04:00 PM

I've never heard of James Marsters. Perhaps I'm just getting old.

I'm not too fussed, frankly, although a British Bond would be preferable. But then Pierce Brosnan isn't British, and he's perfectly good.

#12 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 16 November 2001 - 03:28 PM

Sorry. Just trying to stir the pot. Posted Image

#13 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 16 November 2001 - 12:58 PM

Mister Asterix (16 Nov, 2001 04:52 a.m.):

007luvchild (15 Nov, 2001 11:39 p.m.):

Why not? Other than the obvious fact that he is American, but that's the point of the topic now isn't it.

He's a very good actor. Can probably do whatever accent you want Bond to have. He does look a bit young (I think he's 30), but that won't be a problem by the time Pierce bows out. And though Pierce won People's 'Sexiest Man Alive', James Marsters led the Internet voting for actors by a wide margin on write-in votes alone. He had 302,969 votes, to the runner-ups 267,349. Russell Crowe only got 56,053.

So, I do not accept your clever argument of 'I don't think so'. Please, submit a new argument.

Handbags at ten paces!

#14 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 24 November 2001 - 01:58 AM

I don't know about all this.

I'm not "yankaphobic', or anything like that, but Bond is obviously British and having an American (or any other nationality for that matter - including Aussie!) playing him would lend an air of falseness to the whole image of Bond "keeping the British end up".

Granted that Lazenby was an Aussie, but most of his dialogue was dubbed by a Britisher.

#15 007luvchild

007luvchild

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 86 posts

Posted 31 December 2001 - 02:47 AM

On the subject of British actors I have several questions to my fellow bond fans,

Why most people are not to keen on Ralph Fiennes being Bond? The most favorite argument: did you see the film Avengers?
However, Connery was in Avengers as well, and that didn't change my view of him as a good actor. And granted I think Patrick Macnee will always be the greatest Mr. Steed. However, I've seen Fiennes in other movies, and I can picture him as a hard edge spy, but as Bond I have my reservations.
Then there's one name that's hardly ever mentioned. Although he is in his forties, he's still fit, and athletic. He's able to act in any role and a rather versatile actor. However, his high profile and taste in films probably will rule him out. I'm referring to Daniel Day-Lewis.

#16 MDSmith

MDSmith

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 November 2001 - 09:04 PM

I'm American and even I don't like the idea.

#17 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 15 November 2001 - 05:24 AM

lol

#18 Civilian_Cyberwolf_*

Civilian_Cyberwolf_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2001 - 07:54 AM

surely there must be other decent brit actors, rather than look else where for a replacement?

#19 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 15 November 2001 - 09:29 AM

I think Mr * is looking at a "what if " situation. Americans have been suggested before, and at the risk of sounding blasphemous, there have been a couple I could have lived with.
In the early 70s, Burt Reynolds (before he became a joke) was tipped for Live and Let Die, and I think he'd have made a worthy Connery style Bond then.
James Brolin's 80s screentest was surprisingly good, too.
Tom Selleck (sans mo) might have pulled it off 20 years ago.
Today, though, I can't really think of a suitable candidate.

#20 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 31 December 2001 - 08:52 PM

Funny you should say that about Patrick McNee; I'm actually related to him. Really! (I think that's why my great-grandmother, my mother and I share McNee in some part of our name.)

#21 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 15 November 2001 - 02:42 PM

White Persian (15 Nov, 2001 09:29 a.m.):
I think Mr * is looking at a "what if " situation.

Exactly.

Though it is based on the fact that MGM asked Cubby to find an American to replace Sean Connery. I think the idea was dropped when they asked Burt Reynolds and he said something to the likes of, 'Are you crazy? James Bond is English.'

#22 007luvchild

007luvchild

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 November 2001 - 11:39 PM

#23 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 24 November 2001 - 10:39 AM

I think an Aussie Bond would do fine! Bristish and Oz. Thats it I'd say. Say there was a Oz actor PERFECT for the role?