The Man With The Golden Gun

2 replies to this topic

#1 AusBond

AusBond

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 November 2001 - 02:57 AM

What is your opinion of the 8th 007 feature 'The Man With The Golden Gun' (Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place, but in the movies form there is nothing much there!!)

When I saw this one on TV I thought it was a goody with Nick Nack and Scaramanga and Roger Moore was in his 'young' prime.

But I have heard many bad reviews about TMWTGG, with many saying it was rushed into production too quickly, and it had all the potential to be the best but ends up somewhere near the worst.

I rekon its good, but do you think another year or so of production (without the rush) would of made it better?

#2 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 13 November 2001 - 04:48 PM

I loved The Man With The Golden Gun. Scaramanga was the last great Bond villain. Nick-Nack was a fantasticly creepy henchman. Goodnight was not the greatest Bond girl but I enjoyed her. The solar-thingy plot is dated and I thought it was a bit overboard at the time, but the million dollar assassin plot was great. The worst things about the movie were J.W. Pepper, The Slide Whistle, and the AMC Cars.

I'm going to watch TMWTGG this week for Assignment: Body Count, so I might have some more to add to this later.

#3 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 21 November 2001 - 06:56 AM

There are a lot of things wrong with TMWTGG, but there are a lot of things to admire too. His role is underwritten, but Christopher Lee's presence compensates. The audacious idea of MI6 having an hq in the half sunken [damn, gone blank on the ship's name!] is worthy of Fleming, the Beiruit fight scene is well edited, Peter Murton's Ken Adam style production design works nicely, the scenery's gorgeous (wish they'd shot it widescreen), and the scene in Lazar's armoury, with the gun built for a three-fingered hoodlum and the "speak now, or forever hold your piece" line is terrific. That scene, and Bond roughing up Andrea, show that Roger could give Bond a hard edge.
Alas the treatment of the Mary Goodnight character, the slide whistle, Sheriff Pepper and the diluted ending (Bond and Scaramanga originally both cheated in the duel) undermine what's good about it.