16 replies to this topic

#1 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 04:48 AM

Does anyone know where Fleming picked this name?

The point is that there is no such name in Russia, but (!) it make sense and gives the impression that the person who invented it knew the language and meant it to sound funny. It

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 04:51 AM

I've always liked the name though. The character himself is perhaps, in my opinion, one of the least known in the Ian Fleming James Bond books. It's a very interesting name, one you can memerize if you break it up at first when reading it.

Why he chose it I am not sure, you could be right with your thoughts on it though.

#3 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 19 September 2004 - 09:16 AM

The point is that there is no such name in Russia, but (!) it make sense and gives the impression that the person who invented it knew the language and meant it to sound funny.

So why do you call yourself by that name General G.? :)

I don't have the book handy at the moment, but doesn't Fleming say in the "Author's Note" that General G. was a real person who had that name?

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 02:54 PM

The point is that there is no such name in Russia, but (!) it make sense and gives the impression that the person who invented it knew the language and meant it to sound funny.

So why do you call yourself by that name General G.? :)

I don't have the book handy at the moment, but doesn't Fleming say in the "Author's Note" that General G. was a real person who had that name?

I believe so.

#5 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 02:59 PM

I call myself this name because I like the way it sounds:)

As for a real person... well, throughout his books Fleming indeed uses some names of several real KGB persons, like Serov and Semichastny. But mind you, SMERSH ceased to exist in 1946, long before Stalin died and Beria was arrested. Hence Fleming's SMERSH is as fictitious as his SPECTRE. So is the person of Grubozaboyschikov.

#6 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 21 September 2004 - 03:32 AM

From the "Author's Note".....

....At the begining of 1956, when this book was written, the strength of SMERSH at home and abroad was about 40,000 and General Grubozaboyschikov was it's chief. My descrition of his appearence is correct....

If SMERSH no longer existed at that time I guess Gen. G may not have either and the "Author's Note" was created to lend the air of authenticity to the story in the novel.

Much like the reasoning behind Michael Crichton's use of a ficticious bibliography at the back of most of his novels.

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 03:37 AM

I call myself this name because I like the way it sounds:)

As for a real person... well, throughout his books Fleming indeed uses some names of several real KGB persons, like Serov and Semichastny. But mind you, SMERSH ceased to exist in 1946, long before Stalin died and Beria was arrested. Hence Fleming's SMERSH is as fictitious as his SPECTRE. So is the person of Grubozaboyschikov.

Interesting, as shown by the actual quote from it, that Blofeld's Cat just put up. I would have though Fleming wouldn't have worded it to appear as so then, since this was the real case of SMERSH then, and in turn, Grubozaboyschikov being as fake as Blofeld.

#8 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 04:47 AM

If SMERSH no longer existed at that time I guess Gen. G may not have either and the "Author's Note" was created to lend the air of authenticity to the story in the novel.

Much like the reasoning behind Michael Crichton's use of a ficticious bibliography at the back of most of his novels.

Of course! But where did Fleming pick the name. As far as I can remember it isn't said either in Pearson's or in Lycetts' books:( The historians of Fleming's life takes this matter for granted, while knowing the origins of Scaramanga's and Goldfinger's names, for instance.

#9 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 07:29 AM

OK, so what real Russian name comes close to sounding like it then?

Could it be an amalgamation of two or more Russian names?

Could it be an anagram? Hmm....

Could it be a name from one of the satellite states within the Union of that time?

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 10:57 AM

Could it be an amalgamation of two or more Russian names?

Could it be an anagram? Hmm....

I think so maybe. It's one of the most different names Fleming chose.

#11 Max Zorin

Max Zorin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 04:15 AM

And more importantly, why hasn't he appeared in any of the films?

#12 Krilencu

Krilencu

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 10:40 AM

I laughed my @$$ off when I first read his name.
Also his "Yeb-Yonna Mat" line is a classic, but I don't dare translate it into English here.

#13 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 02:43 PM

Krilencu give us a hint.

#14 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 04:58 AM

I was going to guess that the character was named for the October 12, 1960 incident in which Nikita Krushchev pounded his shoe on the table at the United Nations until I realized that Fleming's novel predates the incident by two years. :)

I would presume that it is a satirical reference to a person or an event. Could Ian Fleming have witnessed something that inspired the name while he was Moscow correspondent for Reuters from 1929 to 1933 or in the spring of 1939 as special Moscow correspondent for the London Times?

#15 Spoon

Spoon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 406 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 04:49 AM

Just seems like a generic "tough guy" name to me. I don't think it needs to be tied to a particular person or event; the connotation of danger/sadism/etc. in the name's meaning is clear.

#16 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 04:42 PM

The point is, it's quite a task for a foreigner to invent a name which could sound funny and plausible to a native speaker.

#17 Atticus17F

Atticus17F

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 06:02 PM

The point is, it's quite a task for a foreigner to invent a name which could sound funny and plausible to a native speaker.

View Post

If, as you say, no such name exists in real life, then it's a safe bet that Fleming was just having a laugh, as he did with most of his characters' names. He was fluent in Russian so he must've known it's literal translation.