36 replies to this topic

#31 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 10:23 PM

Excuse me, Qwerty, but have you actually seen all those movies?

I'd certainly almost bet my life that HERO's a heck of a lot better than the dire SHOGUN ASSASSIN. :)

#32 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 10:25 PM

Excuse me, Qwerty, but have you actually seen all those movies?

I'd certainly almost bet my life that HERO's a heck of a lot better than the dire SHOGUN ASSASSIN. :)

Oh no, certainly not. What CommanderBond said though, was something I noticed similar to in reviews of the film today when I was reading the paper. :)

#33 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 10:30 PM

Fair enough, Qwert. :) It's just that I've just (somehow) sat through nearly 90 minutes of utter bilge that for some reason is acclaimed as brilliant by all and sundry, and I'm in no mood to read about how wonderful such-and-such an obscure '70s martial arts flick is.

Tarantino has a lot to answer for, making people believe that all these dreadful old "grindhouse" movies are works of genius. :)

#34 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 10:35 PM

Fair enough, Qwert. :) It's just that I've just (somehow) sat through nearly 90 minutes of utter bilge that for some reason is acclaimed as brilliant by all and sundry, and I'm in no mood to read about how wonderful such-and-such an obscure '70s martial arts flick is.

Tarantino has a lot to answer for, making people believe that all these dreadful old "grindhouse" movies are works of genius. :)

LOL! I can understand.

Well with Tarantino, I guess you just have to has that vision of his.

#35 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 01:41 AM

He didn't make a lousy grindhouse movie based on grindhouse movies. He made a great film that was influenced by some pretty shoddy cinema. I returned that Sonny Chiba DVD I bought for $6. Absolute caca. :) But I don't have a grudge against QT for loving those films...heck, I used to watch stupid TV shows back in the day and think they were Casablanca...

#36 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 01:43 AM

He didn't make a lousy grindhouse movie based on grindhouse movies. He made a great film that was influenced by some pretty shoddy cinema. I returned that Sonny Chiba DVD I bought for $6. Absolute caca. :) But I don't have a grudge against QT for loving those films...heck, I used to watch stupid TV shows back in the day and think they were Casablanca...

Well said indeed. I believe Tarantino said it himself: "You take the good parts and leave the bad parts."

#37 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 11:40 AM

Shogun Assassin

Picked that one up in a DVD sale recently and have yet to get round to watching it - any good?

Well, I saw it and.... I wish I'd saved my five quid. It's just garbage, although I'm sure its cult appeal will grow and grow thanks to KILL BILL VOL 2. What on earth was Leonard Maltin doing giving it ***1/2 (the second highest rating) in his "Movie & Video Guide"? He calls it "a coherent film brilliant edited" - is he taking the rip? It's nothing of the sort. Some nice cinematography here and there, and a couple of half-decent scenes, but otherwise one of the most stupid and boring films I've ever sat through. A must-avoid. :)

My opinion as well. A lot of "cult" flicks often get higher ratings than they deserve, and this is right up there. Ugh.