We have so many contenders.

#33 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 01:40 AM

an unknown would be better because everyone wants what they want.....

this person wants owen

this persons wants jackman

this persons wants (insert name)

if we get an unknown then nobody gets what they want and we are all stuck with somebody we dont know and its all fair then

#34 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 01:48 AM

Fair? I'm sorry but fair?! Just joking btw :)

Seriously though, life isnt fair, we get dealt what we get dealt. I don't think EON are looking at Bond canditates and thinking: "Hmm, what would be fair for the fans" :) EON are going to choose who they choose despite what any of us think.

Part of the reason I expanded my horizons and am now interested in Owen on top of Jackman :)

#35 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 01:51 AM

I guess the answer to whether Eon should advertise for an unknown like the Superman producers would really depend on how desperate they were to find an actor that fit their qualifications and expectations.

But you would presume that the Broccoli's would keep abreast of developments in London and Hollywood and know several actors who could take on the James Bond role. We have head many stories over the years about the Broccolis having dinner or drinks with an actor to get to know him. Remember the stories of dinner parties or drinks with Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, or Adam West?

You would also have to presume that Casting Director Debbie McWilliams would be doing her job and looking at James Bond hopefuls that Eon Productions could interview and screen test.

#36 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 01:52 AM

this person wants owen

if we get an unknown then nobody gets what they want and we are all stuck with somebody we dont know and its all fair then

Hmm, I guess in that sense. Since they have all the contenders now though and it is their choice...

We really have no say, and they could have already chosen in any case too.

#37 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 02:05 AM

this person wants owen

But this ignores the desires and preferences of Barbara Broccoli, Michael G. Wilson, and executives at MGM/UA.

For example, if Barbara Broccoli doesn't like Clive Owen or Hugh Jackman for the James Bond role, than it's pretty much certain that neither actor will ever be James Bond.

Unfortunately, we don't know who are the current favorites of Broccoli, Wilson, and MGM/UA.

I don't believe that John Gavin was ever the people's choice for James Bond in 1971.

#38 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 02:10 AM

I don't believe that John Gavin was ever the people's choice for James Bond in 1971.

Nor was Adam West, Burt Reynolds, or James Brolin :)

#39 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 02:14 AM

this person wants owen

But this ignores the desires and preferences of Barbara Broccoli, Michael G. Wilson, and executives at MGM/UA.

For example, if Barbara Broccoli doesn't like Clive Owen or Hugh Jackman for the James Bond role, than it's pretty much certain that neither actor will ever be James Bond.

Unfortunately, we don't know who are the current favorites of Broccoli, Wilson, and MGM/UA.

Exactly. It's their word that counts and not ours.

I doubt those mentioned names were number one choices either. Surely some of these names in the rumors are being looked at, but who they chose/have chosen is all on their part.

#40 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 23 August 2004 - 02:43 AM

The other day (on a flying visit to Washington) I brought up the question of whether Eon should advertise for an unknown with my good friend Donald Rumsfeld.

"There are known knowns," Donald said. "These are actors we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are actors that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are actors we don't know we don't know."

"Yeah, but Don, what should Eon actually do?" I asked.

"Get Clive Owen," he replied.

As ever, I couldn't agree with Rummy more!

LOL!

I was actually waiting for Clive to walk down the aisle in a pilot's uniform. :)

Eon shouldn't advertise they want an unknown, but they should advertise that they already have an unknown/new actor for the part.

The series of adverts can go along the lines of:

"Who should only wear this walther PPK.....?"
"Who should only use the 007 number.....?"
"Who should the world call on to save it.....?"
etc.

And in the final advert the actor is revealed as Bond.

#41 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 02:55 AM

Nor was Adam West, Burt Reynolds, or James Brolin :)

James Brolin in 1971?

Reynolds had a bit more support I thought.

#42 Spoon

Spoon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 406 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 03:58 AM

Doesn't Jude Law usually win the polls? We definitely don't want that!!

Doing a poll would not be a smart choice by Eon, unless they really were prepared to take whoever the poll winner was. If they did a poll and then failed to choose the poll winner as Bond, it would cause a lot of hard feelings, and would give a lot of people a reason to dismiss the new Bond without even giving him a chance.

I doubt there has ever been a time when it's been perfectly obvious who the next Bond should be. Certainly Brosnan wasn't an obvious choice; his career had bottomed out, and he had little on his resume to show he had "Bond" toughness. I'm sure that among the experienced actors available to them currently, there is one who can overcome his apparent weaknesses and be a great Bond. Their job is to identify that person. Or, they could figure out a way to keep the guy they have :)

#43 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 04:01 AM

Doesn't Jude Law usually win the polls? We definitely don't want that!!

Which polls are you looking at? Sometimes yes, but I wouldn't say often.

Alot of the times, polls leave out a main candidate for the role in any case.

#44 Spoon

Spoon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 406 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 04:35 AM

Oh, I don't remember specifics but I thought I saw Law win more than one poll that surveyed the public at large (rather than just Bond fans). Definitely, who wins depends to a large degree on who is included. If you include people like Law, McGregor or Jackman, one of them will certainly win a large-scale poll just because everyone knows them. If you had hundreds of thousands of people voting, I don't think lesser-known actors would have a realistic shot. You couldn't expect all those people to do "research."

So that would be one good reason not to do an "official" poll, and the other would be the problem of angering people by overriding their vote that I described.

#45 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 04:41 AM

Ah well, well if one could get as many names as possible, it could work.

#46 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 05:03 AM

James Brolin in 1971?

I was just lumping together a few names that were actually considered. Of course Brolin didnt screentest until the 80's, and West was considered for OHMSS.

#47 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 05:04 AM

James Brolin in 1971?

I was just lumping together a few names that were actually considered. Of course Brolin didnt screentest until the 80's, and West was considered for OHMSS.

Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding, I thought it might have been something like that.