9 replies to this topic

#1 White Knight

White Knight

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 05:28 PM

Last night I was in the mood for somehing tropical because i'm living in a frozen state, anyway, I watched Dr.No, It never really was my favorite, but I found that it was great. I simply loved it.

#2 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 22 February 2002 - 12:21 AM

Just for those of us who haven't read the book (i'll get round to it one day!) what does the good doctor look like?

#3 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 19 March 2002 - 12:27 PM

it's a great flick.....not flashy, but very solid in it's construction and it's Bond really doing some work...

#4 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 19 March 2002 - 10:54 PM

Imagine how risky and exciting Dr. No must have been back in 62?
When I watch the bit in TND when Bond waits for Paris Im reminded of Connery waiting for Dent in Miss Taros bedroom.
Thats the kind of Bond Id like to see more of.

#5 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 February 2002 - 12:18 AM

I loved it. It followed Fleming's novel, even adding in a few characters here and there, and was fast paced and flowed very smoothly and easy to follow. Doctor No was a great villain, but I wish he would have looked more like he does in the book, I thought that was a little more eerie.

#6 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 11:54 AM

Actually this is one of my favorite Sean films. I like to watch it on a regular basis and i never. The book is one of my favorites, Fleming description of Jamaica was excellent and the film it captured it very well indeed

#7 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 11:20 AM

It's great, at times, to go back and see the film that started it all. When you consider that it was the first film, made in 1962, with a very low budget, it stands up really well. You can just sit and marvel at it.
You're right Jim! Watching it in black and white does make it better.It gives the film a whole new dimension.

The only thing I don't like in the whole film is:

"What's your name?"
"Ryder"
"Ryder what?"
"HONEY RYDER"

It's so crackly, it makes your ears throb!

#8 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 22 February 2002 - 07:19 AM

RossMan (22 Feb, 2002 12:18 a.m.):
I loved it. It followed Fleming's novel, even adding in a few characters here and there, and was fast paced and flowed very smoothly and easy to follow. Doctor No was a great villain, but I wish he would have looked more like he does in the book, I thought that was a little more eerie.

Totally agree , i always seem to read this book on Holiday. Its a great read when you are in a hot country. I prefer how DR No dies in the book to the film.

#9 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 February 2002 - 02:29 AM

Tanger007 (22 Feb, 2002 12:21 a.m.):
Just for those of us who haven't read the book (i'll get round to it one day!) what does the good doctor look like?

Tall, six foot six I think, thin. He's completely bald (mabye where they got the idea for what Blofeld looks like) and his face has no wrinkles, completely smooth (can't tell his age too well). He has actual steel pincers inseat of metal, gloved hands.

#10 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 07:53 AM

This may sound a bit odd, but try watching it in black and white.

For an utterly perverse reason, although I've always enjoyed it, I seem to enjoy it more in black and white.

I cannot explain this phenomenon. Perhaps I am mad, north northwest.