12 replies to this topic

#1 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 04:31 AM

wasn't sure where to put this, but who else thinks Vic should direct a Bond film? He's the second unit guy, but hell, he's done what the last three films, and a good job each time....so he should get promoted...I could see him become like Glen, pop out a whole bunch of films....what do people think?

#2 JAWS

JAWS

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 06:01 AM

That's an intriguing idea! Would we get another FYEO, I wonder?

#3 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 07:48 AM

I think that if Armstrong did get the directing gig, the worry about "wall to wall action" would increase exponentially.

#4 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 08:25 AM

Perhaps its more to do with the editing on the current films, and I may be alone in this, but I find the action sequences which Mr Armstrong and his second unit have directed in TWINE and TND a little...turgid.

I'm sure they are technically brilliant and hellish things to set up and manage and ensure that everyone goes home with the requisite number of limbs, but I just don't feel quite as involved or energised by what I'm seeing.

Perhaps this is just me.

I'm sure Mr Armstrong deserved his BAFTA. He commented that George Lucas had given him a film to direct; off the top of my head, I don't know what that is. Anyone?

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 10:12 AM

Jim (25 Feb, 2002 08:25 a.m.):
but I find the action sequences which Mr Armstrong and his second unit have directed in TWINE and TND a little...turgid.

I'm not going to give any details, however, I've heard it mentioned a few times by people who worked on the film that the depths of some scenes, especially the ski sequence in TWINE, was actually held back by someone else on the production. Apparently Vic is fantastic.

#6 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 11:55 AM

That's interesting, and I retract any undue maligning of Mr Armstrong

#7 White Knight

White Knight

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 11:07 PM

that is a great idea. The man would be perfect for the job.

#8 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 02 March 2002 - 11:56 PM

At the Bafta awards, I think Armstrong said that George Lucas had given him a movie to direct. Does anyone know what this is?
Stunt arrangers/second unit guys moving into feature direction doesn't always work.I recently watched an absolutely dreadful thing directed by Willy Bogner, and Hal Needham's flicks in the seventies with Burt Reynolds were adequate at best [though good fun].
It all depends how good Armstrong is with actors, when they aren't running and jumping. And whether he can switch hats and put the good of the overall film ahead of the temptation to shoehorn a knockout stunt in, regardless of whether it serves the story.
However, Armstrong has a great deal of experience, working with terrific directors, so if he's been watching them at work, and learning from them, then he might well make a great Bond director, and be able to blend the action pieces more seamlessly with the story.

#9 Sanchez

Sanchez

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 01:40 AM

I think he'd do a first class job.

#10 jnDoubleshot

jnDoubleshot

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 March 2002 - 12:35 AM

I would love to see Armstrong direct a future Bond film. His contribution to the action (and even storyline) on the last few films has been fantastic. The action - no matter how repetitive it might be at times - has always been exciting when Vic is on board.

#11 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 03 March 2002 - 03:48 AM

White Persian (02 Mar, 2002 11:56 p.m.):
I recently watched an absolutely dreadful thing directed by Willy Bogner, and Hal Needham's flicks in the seventies with Burt Reynolds were adequate at best [though good fun].

Its interesting that these these two director/stuntmen have one thing in common. Bogner direct something called Fire, Ice And Dynamite, and Needham did The Cannonball Run. Both starred Roger Moore.

I don't know about Vic being given a director nod from Lucas, but Vic did direct two Young Indiana Jones episodes: "Austria, March 1917" and "The Adventures In The Secret Service", which he co-directed with Aussie Simon Wincer.

#12 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 01 March 2002 - 03:29 AM

Blue Eyes (25 Feb, 2002 10:12 a.m.):

Jim (25 Feb, 2002 08:25 a.m.):
but I find the action sequences which Mr Armstrong and his second unit have directed in TWINE and TND a little...turgid.

I'm not going to give any details, however, I've heard it mentioned a few times by people who worked on the film that the depths of some scenes, especially the ski sequence in TWINE, was actually held back by someone else on the production. Apparently Vic is fantastic.

Could this person by chance be not working on Bond20? Just curious.

As for Armstrong directing? I say go for it, he's been with the series for a long period of time, they should let him do one. See how it turns out, he may surprise a lot of people.

#13 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 12:05 PM

Blofeld's Cat (03 Mar, 2002 03:48 a.m.):
Bogner direct something called Fire, Ice And Dynamite.

Yup, that was it. Awful...and it wasn't Rog's fault.

I don't know about Vic being given a director nod from Lucas, but Vic did direct two Young Indiana Jones episodes: "Austria, March 1917" and "The Adventures In The Secret Service", which he co-directed with Aussie Simon Wincer.

Maybe this is what Armstrong meant, rather than a new film. I've got the Young Indy episodes on tape, so I'll have a look, but if Wincer co-directed, I guess it won't really be an indication of how Armstrong is with actors in the non action scenes.