37 replies to this topic

#1 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 23 February 2002 - 09:05 PM

I think his last Bond should either be Bond 20 or the next one, his fifth. Even when I saw TWINE for the first time the first thing I thought was "wow, Pierce sure looks older than in GE and TND." When I had a friend come over and watch it, he made the same comment, as did someone else I know.

So I think either his fourth or fifth. I don't think I'd like to see him hang around as long as Roger did.

#2 sainttemplar

sainttemplar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 March 2002 - 01:46 PM

The answer is in Rossman's amusing mis-spelling of Brosnan's name.None!
Was that deliberate Rossman? it's quite funny!

#3 Jules

Jules

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 March 2002 - 04:48 AM

He should do whatever he feels like. But then again I'd like to see him do the role for as long as he possibly and physically can. He's an awesome actor and a great Bond!

#4 SeanValen

SeanValen

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 March 2002 - 01:24 AM

I don't like this 3 year gap between bond films, if Bronsnan wants to do 3 more films to make it 7, that would be 9 years in total! no way, if he did 3 more films with 2 year gaps, thats 6 years, big difference hey.

Or 2 more films in 4 years, instead of 2 more films in 6 years. I hope its only a 2 year gap until the next one. Bronsnan's in his prime now, so use him as much as possible.

Too bad the Connery years, with a Bond every year coming out can't happen anymore.

#5 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 06:16 AM

depends how long they take between films, personally I thin Brosnan looks better the older he gets, he should just know when to stop, Roger did one too many...Connery was best at it when he was young, once he hit forty, he no longer looked right, whereas the others have all been better at it when they were older......

#6 Alex

Alex

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 March 2002 - 06:22 PM

Lazenby could've done it for quite a while, he has looked pretty good for his age until recently.

#7 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 15 March 2002 - 10:33 PM

In a world of ideals, Pierce would do eight Bonds, surpassing Moore and Connery and making damn sure no one could ever touch his record again.

Now, let's talk reality. Last time I did the math, Pierce will hit fifty this May. As fifty year old man, with two young sons that he loves more than his own life, will he really want to keep doing Bond. We know he will do 21, and maybe 22, if the villian continues through that Bond, but then what?

It's a lock he will do six. It's most likely he will do seven. After that, only he can tell us.

And by the way Pierce, feel free to answer!

-- Xen

#8 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 15 March 2002 - 11:54 PM

Well Xen,

Pierce would probably tell you as he told other at the Jan press conference that he is not turning 50 this May, that he's turning 49 and that he was born in 1953, not 1952 ... ;-)

As for how many he does, it depends as other have said above on how long the time off is between films and whether he feels he can continue as a physically believable Bond. He's definitely doing the 5th, and maybe if we're all lucky (well most of us, anyway, a few evidently want him gone 3 movies ago LOL) he'll do his 6th in 2007. (where he'll be the age Moore was in FYEO, and if he continues as he is, most likely in better physical shape than Moore was during his first.) But for now it's on a film to film basis and I don' think even he knows when the last will be yet. Or maybe he does and he's just not telling. ;-)

#9 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 16 March 2002 - 12:03 AM

Mourning Becomes Electra (15 Mar, 2002 11:54 p.m.):
Well Xen,

Pierce would probably tell you as he told other at the Jan press conference that he is not turning 50 this May, that he's turning 49 and that he was born in 1953, not 1952 ... ;-)

Oh yeah, Xen!!!!!!! You nearly put yourself in a hole with PB then dearest!!! :-) What will people say?!!! :-)

After the press conference, he dished out a big b****cking to a Channel 4 reporter (UK TV) who caught him and quipped he was getting a bit too old for this lark, turning 50 this year and all that.
PB came back with the numbers and accused him of being a slack journo, and to get his damn facts right etc. LOL, I went to record the Ian Fleming docu that was on the other day and caught this nugget again.

I hope he has his 6 :)

#10 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 16 March 2002 - 07:27 AM

Honestly? I want him to surpass the record(7) and do 8 films. I think he could do it too. The question is, would he do it? He might, after he read the script for this, he confirmed that he'd do a fifth film, and he probably will do a sixth. After that its anyones guess, but I really hope he does 8.

#11 Simplor

Simplor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 March 2002 - 03:19 PM

I pertsonally believe it should be a bond exactly every 2 years. That was... Bond 25 could come on the 50th Anniversary.

Probably won't happen.

I'd like to see him stay to Bond 22. Let him do 6 films. In my ideal fantasy opinion, the next 3 films would be the Union trilogy, ending at Bond 25.

Since that will not happen...

PB has been a good Bond. He needs a great script. So far, his best movie was GoldenEye. I thought PB lacked character in TND. With a 3 year break between TWINE and DAD, things look good.

Sean C. would my fav Bond. Then Pierce B. Then Roger M. Then George L. Then Timmy D.

#12 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 17 March 2002 - 04:11 AM

God! Now you know why I am not a math major! LOL!

I don't think Pierce would yell at me. He would start to, and then I would start to cry, and he would feel bad. ;-)

Believe me...I would be damn sure I knew all the things to say and not to say if I ever interviewed him!

As for the other bits...I think Pierce is Bond who has kept himself in the best shape, and he is aging better than RM. Eight is possible, but again, it all depends on what Pierce wants.

-- Xen

#13 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 10:24 PM

[quote]Xenobia (29 Apr, 2002 08:14 p.m.):
[quote]Blofeld's Cat (29 Apr, 2002 12:57 a.m.):
[quote]Xenobia (28 Apr, 2002 06:50 p.m.):
[quote]IcePak (28 Apr, 2002 06:33 p.m.):
Totally agree with you there Xen, but personally, I'd like him to be Bond forever, which of course can't and won't happen.

After Bond, I'd like him to do a Remmington Steele movie (cinematic or TV).

I can imagine the add campaign:

"YOU WERE EXPECTING SOMEONE ELSE?" :)[/quote]

You and about five million other people want to see this. :)

Brosnan goes back and forth on the issue...sometimes he wants to do it, sometimes he doesn't. Hopefully one of those times he wants to do it, someone will have the contract in hand and make sure he signs!

I like this tag line myself, "He's steele here, are you?"

-- Xenobia[/quote]

Hmmm, you think Pierce would insist on playing a widower? ;-)

MBE

#14 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 February 2002 - 11:04 PM

I'd like to see him do 6 or 7 total. Like Connery and Moore.

#15 White Knight

White Knight

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 February 2002 - 10:43 PM

Friedrich Baxter (23 Feb, 2002 10:35 p.m.):
Just like Sean Connery and Roger Moore, he should do 7 Bond movies. He deserves it, and right now he is still much younger than Roger Moore was, when he did his fourth Bond movie.

yeah i forgot about that. Brosnan is doing a great job. I would like to see him do many more, However, it all depends on what Brosnan wants. It doesn't look like he is going to be doing alot more from what I hear.

#16 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 23 February 2002 - 10:41 PM

Depends if he gets greedy when negotiating a new contract, and they just jack him in for someone younger and cheaper.

#17 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 23 February 2002 - 10:35 PM

Just like Sean Connery and Roger Moore, he should do 7 Bond movies. He deserves it, and right now he is still much younger than Roger Moore was, when he did his fourth Bond movie.

#18 White Knight

White Knight

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 February 2002 - 09:26 PM

oops, I'd like to see him do 2 or 3 more.

#19 White Knight

White Knight

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 February 2002 - 09:25 PM

RossMan (23 Feb, 2002 09:05 p.m.):
I think his last Bond should either be Bond 20 or the next one, his fifth. Even when I saw TWINE for the first time the first thing I thought was "wow, Pierce sure looks older than in GE and TND." When I had a friend come over and watch it, he made the same comment, as did someone else I know.

I'd like to see Brosnan do 2 or 3 more.

So I think either his fourth or fifth. I don't think I'd like to see him hang around as long as Roger did.

#20 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 12:43 PM

See my story:

Bond 21 (2004) Bond 22 (2007) Bond 23 (2011)

#21 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 30 April 2002 - 09:15 PM

[quote]Mourning Becomes Electra (29 Apr, 2002 11:24 p.m.):
[-- Xenobia[/quote]

Hmmm, you think Pierce would insist on playing a widower? ;-) MBE[/quote]

Why not....one the rules to making movies with Pierce Brosnan is, "If he makes three movies in a year, in at least one, by the middle of the movie, he will be widowed or dumped by the middle of the movie."

LOL! You don't think he and SZ have that many problems, do you?

-- Xenobia

#22 bingo

bingo

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2002 - 02:26 PM

[quote]Xenobia (29 Apr, 2002 08:14 p.m.):
Totally agree with you there Xen, but personally, I'd like him to be Bond forever, which of course can't and won't happen.

Brosnan goes back and forth on the issue...sometimes he wants to do it, sometimes he doesn't. Hopefully one of those times he wants to do it, someone will have the contract in hand and make sure he signs!

-- Xenobia[/quote]

I don't think he should do a RS movie even more for TV, many Bond fans are not RS fans. And he should try something different. Too bad going back to old things twenty years ago. He should move ahead NOT going back.

#23 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 11:38 PM

this may sound sacreligous,but bond will never do as well at the box office as star wars, lord of the rings, spider-man or harry potter simply because of one thing:

the hero is played by a 50-plus year old who looks like the father of the movie goers primary demographic the 13 to 25 year old.

i saw spider-man on saturday night. the characterization in that movie was superior to any bond (I've Been wathing bond since the connery days so i'm not a fly by night 007 fan) movie i have see.

for many "kids" there wasnt enough action in the movie but it SMASHED recent records raking in $115 million in 3 days and i wondered why? perhaps it had to do with a much anticipated original adaption of a much beloved hero. As superman in 1978 and Batman in 1989.

But i think the age of the hero had something to do with it.

Bond should be played by some one who is 35 to 45 years of age so he can "relate" to the primary movie-going demographic, as Toby McGuire's perter parker/spider-man did this week-end.

Having said that, i doubt columbia will be able to pull of spider-man 5 successfully, let alone a spidey 20 in 40 years time

JAMES BOND FOREVER...........

#24 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 07 May 2002 - 01:33 AM

Why not just make Bond a 12 yr old elf and then you can get all the Harry Potter and LOTR fans? And really weren't the most popular characters in the film played by Sean Bean, Viggo Mortenson and Ian McKellen...all well over 40 the last I looked.

The fact is as you said we are on Bond 20, it's not the NEW thing anymore, it will never be the NEW thing with a huge frenzy again and all the media HYPE that feeds until anyone and everyone lines up to see it.

Bond can of course rejuvinate itself from time to time with fresh blood but keeping so many of it's classic elements, and it's commitment to sustained quality centered around a mature MAN is why it's lasted 20 installments and counting. Will making 45 the cut off actually keep Bond more relevant to 12-25 yr olds when your comparison example is a cartoon character who's 18 played by a 24 yr old? If you want to make Bond "relevent" why not as suggested in another thread make him 25-35. And then maybe we can give him a more hip wardrobe and nickname. Maybe get some tattoos and get Vin Deisel to play the role... and we'll rename the series xXx. :))

As you said lets see Spidey reach 20, and then well talk about how relevant he is and how Bond should change to mimic it. Heck, Superman & Batman were horrid after the first 2 installments and petered out mericifully after 4.

MBE

#25 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 07 May 2002 - 01:56 AM

One of the problems 'plaguing' the James Bond franchise, is that some films (the '70s, Tomorrow Never Dies) are oriented for kiddies, while Fleming and most of the people involved at Eon are making the other films for at-the-least adolecents.

Fleming said his adventures were procured from '...an adolecent mind...' which he happened to possess.
Thus the adventures mimic wartime commando operations and mob encounters mixed with just enough spying to keep doubters at bay.

But bad decisions were made, and we have hollowed-out volcanoes, G W Bush-type lasers to obliterate--and this is rather ironic today--Washington, space-marines, and solex-agitators (sounds of like if Sunlight ™ made a washing machine) plaguing the franchise that is trying it's hardest to be the spy-commando-thriller Fleming and the 'hard-core' fans want it to be.

Identity crisis. Hopefully Die Another Day* will help define Bond as non-childish.

*Keeping the facts on that film secret from myself, so don't comment on Die Another Dayplease!

#26 IcePak

IcePak

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2002 - 05:33 PM

I'd like to see Brosnan do at least 2 or 3 more, but I don't want him to wear out his welcome like Moore did. And I hope like both the previous big Bonds (Connery and Moore) his last film isn't as shocking as DAF and AVTAK.

#27 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 28 April 2002 - 05:50 PM

IcePak (28 Apr, 2002 06:33 p.m.):
I'd like to see Brosnan do at least 2 or 3 more, but I don't want him to wear out his welcome like Moore did. And I hope like both the previous big Bonds (Connery and Moore) his last film isn't as shocking as DAF and AVTAK.

I do believe that Pierce is smart enough to know not to wear out his welcome with Bond...and MGM is desperate enough for the money not to let him do that.

I think Brosnan loves the role so much, he would make sure that his last is the best it could be.

-- Xenobia

#28 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 28 April 2002 - 11:57 PM

Xenobia (28 Apr, 2002 06:50 p.m.):

IcePak (28 Apr, 2002 06:33 p.m.):

I do believe that Pierce is smart enough to know not to wear out his welcome with Bond...and MGM is desperate enough for the money not to let him do that.

I think Brosnan loves the role so much, he would make sure that his last is the best it could be.

-- Xenobia

"YOU WERE EXPECTING SOMEONE ELSE?" :)

#29 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 07:14 PM

-- Xenobia

#30 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 23 February 2002 - 11:21 PM

I'd prefer Brosnan to do 6 or 7 in total, especially if we're going to have a reaccurring villain. It just helps to add to that continuity. I'd like to see this villain in Bond20, Bond21. then take a break and go to a different stroyline. Then bring that villain back in Bond23 (Brosnan's 7th and ultimately last) so that he can be finished off by Brosnan's Bond, making way for a new Bond, new storylines and new villains.