This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

John Woo turned down Goldneye to direct, but executive producer role?

5 replies to this topic

#1 SeanValen

SeanValen

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 February 2002 - 08:47 PM

He may have turned down Goldeneye to direct, because of the expectations of peoples Bond, and how he would do Bond. But he's a genuis at filming action, since the films have come a long way, done may things, he could offer alot of ideas as a executive producer, so he won't be too busy with it, but contribute.

I think though he would make a great Bond director, if he promised not to mess around with the Bond character too much, because he likes to do everything, and work something out.

#2 SeanValen

SeanValen

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 February 2002 - 08:52 PM

He is willing to do exceutive producer type work, he did that with The Replacement Killers.

#3 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 24 March 2002 - 04:26 AM

they already have enough producers and great second unit action directors...I don't think we need Woo in there...I'd prefer he stick to his own original work..

#4 Bond's Lovechild #043

Bond's Lovechild #043

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 04:47 AM

John woo's style is very strong... too strong for a bond film. although i'd love to see bond's films become more beautiful cinematically, i think Woo wouldn't help....

bond is great becoz of the plots/actors/gadgets/girls... and usually woo movies have no plot.... hehehe... ;-)

#5 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 01:26 PM

Agree with Rafterman: why would Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli even WANT John Woo (or any other name director) on board as executive producer? And what would be in it for Woo (apart from a certain amount of money, obviously)?
But I'm intrigued to hear that Woo was offered Goldeneye - sounds quite a radical idea on the part of the Bond people. Anyone know of any other directors who were offered Bonds but turned them down?

#6 Gunbarrel

Gunbarrel

Cadet

• Crew
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 03:39 PM

Woo would have been a bad choice to do either a Bond film or a Mission: Impossible film. Whoops! Too late on the last one.