Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 05:23 PM

Well, let me think....

That might not be totally true.

003 never learned how to tie his shoes or how to work a pencil.

And he still can't put his arms through his coat sleeves.

stupid bow knots...

Dumb pencils....

and I've been dressing myself since I was 30 and only ONCE had trouble with my sleeves...Granted I was laying on the floor of a pub trying to figure out where my pants were...But that's an entirely different story....It's true you know...but COMPLETELY different.

*ahem*

Now, as to MaCallan and a cigar - Good choice. I'm partial to the Avo XO's when I can't find a good Havana. Actually, with a good smoke, I prefer a slightly sweet scotch - one of the wood finishes - port or sherry.

Indeed 004 and I did indulge in some fine 25 year old the last night of 009's visit. Then we discovered the Loch Dhu - Matt, let's get on the trail of that shall we?

#32 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 05:31 PM

Indeed 004 and I did indulge in some fine 25 year old the last night of 009's visit. Then we discovered the Loch Dhu - Matt, let's get on the trail of that shall we?

Loch Dhu...

Seems I remember seeing that one on the shelves of that above mentioned bar.
Isn't this a very dark, almost black whisky?

BTW, had a lovely evening there with lots of fine whisky. But there were so many of them, I don't think I can't remember a single brand for some strange reason (must have something to do with the beers that were also many) ... :)

Edited by stromberg, 16 August 2004 - 05:31 PM.

#33 Matt O'S oo4

Matt O'S oo4

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 07:58 AM

Loch Dhu...

Seems I remember seeing that one on the shelves of that above mentioned bar.
Isn't this a very dark, almost black whisky?

Actually, it is almost blood red.

Has a very different body, and many characteristics of a good burgundy wine when it stikes the palate.

009 was on hand to observe our stunned remarks regarding this particular beverage. It is not often that 003 and I come across a scotchh so different as this one has.

Loch Dhu.

Our constant discussion of the many very uniquie features of this scotch had 009 staring at us quite.....oddly.

And, perhaps, rightly so.

It was a unique moment.

Ah, well.

I hope to find a bottle of this one on the shelf very soon.

Cheers.

#34 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 09:40 AM

It's known as 'the black whisky' (or so it says on my bottle). It's a black whisky, due to it being matured in charred oak casks, apparently. 'Loch Dhu' in Gaelic (according to my mum) means 'black/dark lake'

The label on the back:

Loch Dhu is a fine malt. Patiently rested in charred sweet oak casks to create a whisky as black as night, with a rich velvety taste. Savour the smooth, Intense flavour and discover hidden complexities in this unique black whisky.

Lovely stuff. Matured 10 years apparently in those double-charred casks. Hope that's of some help, chaps.

#35 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 05:55 PM

Always thinking of our livers...

Good man Paul!

I too just consulted one of my Scottish books and arrived at the "Dark Lake" translation.

It might have been the dim honey colored lighting in the bar/lounge we were in, but the stuff was the aforementioned "blood red". Damn 004, knew we should have asked to see the bottle.

As I recall though, I did hold the glass in front of the flame of my Dunhill lighter to judge the color. 10 year (004 - Can you imagine what a 12 or 18 would be like) but surprisingly light on the "bite" and all but liquid silk on the way down. Hint of raisin though which probably accounts for the burgundy/wine texture.

I've got a lead on a place that should be able to get us a few bottles to...um...evaluate....

As it were...

Quite...

Ya' know...

#36 Matt O'S oo4

Matt O'S oo4

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 12:17 AM

No, really?

Are you certain that a few bottle will be enough for a satsifactory evaluation?

I like to be thorough.

You know!

No, really, I do.

Don't you?

Let me know when and if you have a source.

I in for at least two.

#37 Matt O'S oo4

Matt O'S oo4

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 05:13 AM

Bryce....

Your turn.

#38 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:25 PM

Just discovered a new bargain. The Speyside 12 yr. This may be a newer distillery, and that

#39 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:06 AM

Must... keep...

thread...

alive...

I was curious to know what all the fuss was about so I went out and bought a bottle of Lagavulin 16 yr.

Holy Mackerel! It's like liquid band-aids! Burnt ones!

I love a challenge.

#40 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:44 PM

I

#41 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:00 PM

Some fine choices there Judo Chop.

Yes, the Lagavulin is certainly on the dark side and has been described by one of my brothers as "not just smokey...It's like licking a chimney." but with a splash of water neat and cup of coffee after dinner, it's quite nice.

If you favor something a bit lighter, but still full bodied and a slight sweet finish, I still stand by the Glenmorangie 12 either Port wood or Sherry wood finish. Excellent on the rocks. Nurse it a bit and let the ice beat it down.

:cooltongue:

#42 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:14 PM

Some fine choices there Judo Chop.

Yes, the Lagavulin is certainly on the dark side and has been described by one of my brothers as "not just smokey...It's like licking a chimney." but with a splash of water neat and cup of coffee after dinner, it's quite nice.

If you favor something a bit lighter, but still full bodied and a slight sweet finish, I still stand by the Glenmorangie 12 either Port wood or Sherry wood finish. Excellent on the rocks. Nurse it a bit and let the ice beat it down.

:cooltongue:

Ah Bryce! Just the man I was hoping to lure! I know not what happened to your pal 004, and I certainly don

#43 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:16 PM

The clickety-clack of my keystrokes sail off into the swallowing pitch of the abyss. Somewhere out there is Bryce003, but will my transmission reach him in that distant cold?

I'm about half-way done with my Aberlour 12. It wasn't one I originally fell in love with. I thought, as you can see above, it was a little lacking, and maybe over the top with sweetness. It's coming into its own now. Much more interesting than the first impression led me to believe. I think I will try it side by side with the Balvenie, or Macallan 12 to see how it stands up there.

#44 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:46 PM

I was very impressed with my Glenfarclas 17. The other night I thought I detected a hint of maple syrup in there.

So, having nearly completely exhuasted my 'lower shelf' supply which consists of bottles in the area of $40, I went out and picked up a bottle of the Glenfarclas 12 year.

Also bought my mom a bottle of the Balvenie 12 year, an old favorite of mine, for mother's day to be shared with me when I come over.

#45 Matt O'S oo4

Matt O'S oo4

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:47 PM

Oban

Oban 14

Yes, definately one of my favorites.

#46 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:52 PM

Along with about 1600 other single malts.

No...Really.

#47 Frostyak

Frostyak

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:07 PM

My favorites:

Glenmorangie 10

Dalwhinnie 15

Oban 14

And most of all: The Clynelish 14

- Christopher

#48 Arbogast777

Arbogast777

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:36 AM

The Glenlivet 12 is my daily drink, but two favorites of mine are Lagavulin 16 (very dark) and Edradour, which can be very hard to come by in the states.

My favorite drinking hole near me is the bar at The St. Paul Grill. For my 30th birthday in November I have my eye on their Macallan 50, which is only $300 a pour :cooltongue:

From their menu - "Macallan 50: Three Spanish Cherry Casks were chosen and filled on the same day (January 14th, 1949) and have been matured in Speyside over the past 50 years. 48% was left when tapped, so the angels certainly got their money's worth. One of only 3 bottles in the state."

#49 Matt O'S oo4

Matt O'S oo4

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:28 AM

[quote name='Bryce (003)' post='723207' date='5 April 2007 - 14:00']Some fine choices there Judo Chop.

I

#50 Matt O'S oo4

Matt O'S oo4

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:33 AM

Along with about 1600 other single malts.

No...Really.

I didn't know you could count that high

Or care less for that matter.

But I am sure that you are pretty close to accurate.

Give or take a couple...hundred.

Hey...003....

Remember Loch Dhu?

There is one we don't seem to find everywhere/

One of the darkest single malts I have eveer seen, and with a real burgandy/wine/raisin flavor.

And only a ten year old.

What say you oh fearless leader of alcoholics unanimous?

#51 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:51 AM

What, scotch????

Yes please! :cooltongue:

I had a nice Laphroaig last week and am in the mood for something after work tomorrow, but the only bottle in my cabinet currently is a Glenfiddich. I might need to make a stop on the way home and make a new friend...

#52 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:19 PM

I did make a purchase on the way home yesterday and have enjoyed several nice drinks.

I went with Highland Park (12 years) and it is quite nice. Smokey finish through the first half of the drink, then as the ice melts the scotch smoothes out until the last sip has no smoke to it.

Of course that might just mean I'm not drinking it fast enough. :cooltongue:

#53 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:52 PM

Just restocked with a few more bottles.

Bowmore

#54 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:47 PM

A few new additions:

Glenlivet 15yr

#55 J.C.D'Arc

J.C.D'Arc

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:38 PM

I seem to remember this thread from years gone by, so I was surprised to find that I hadn't posted in it.

My favorite single malt is Auchentoshan, a Lowland. It's aged in sherry casks and tastes, to me, like an idealized scotch. Those creosote-tasting concoctions like Laphroaig don't appeal to me. Neither do I like blended scotches. 10-year-old Auchentoshan is the stuff for me.

#56 Arbogast777

Arbogast777

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 05:31 PM

I just saw this news regarding my favorite watering hole. As the head of Station MN (Minnesota) I hereby nominate myself to try a shot on behalf on CBn... :tup:

St. Paul Grill Stocks Up on Pricey Scotch in Time for Republican Convention
by Tad Vezner
Pioneer Press

In time for the biggest political bash to hit the Twin Cities in living memory, the St. Paul Grill has made an extravagant business decision: to corner the market on the best booze in town.

Republicans coming to their national convention in September can buy a "pony shot" of The Macallan 55-year-old single-malt scotch, fresh from a famed 184-year-old distillery in the Scottish Highlands.

For $525 a glass.

It's a small glass: A pony shot, used for fine liquors, is 1 ounce, rather than the 1.5 ounces doled out, a bit less delicately, for common spirits.

"I got the hotel involved. I didn't want to be the only one making the decision," said David Soos, general manager of the St. Paul Grill.

The drink, roughly speaking, goes for about a buck a drop.

The Grill, within the historic downtown St. Paul Hotel - a place of old money and opulent finery with a portrait of F. Scott Fitzgerald watching over the bar - always has kept a diverse and much-touted selection of fine scotch. But The Macallan 55-year-old single-malt scotch whisky, kept in a crystal decanter by French designer Lalique, likely is the most expensive bottle ever to hit the Twin Cities tavern scene.

And it's here for a reason.

"With the RNC in town, we wanted to be the exclusive seller," Soos said.

The hotel decided to buy all four of the available rare bottles, which retail at $12,000 apiece.

The fact the bottles were made available in the first place - only 400 were produced in December for worldwide distribution - was the decision of national distributors, who wanted the area around the Republican National Convention to be a fine, scotch-rich environment.

"That decision (to supply the central U.S. with so many bottles) was made solely because of the RNC," said Susie Deshon, of St. Paul-based Griggs, Cooper & Co., a statewide wine and liquor distributor supplied by Remy Amerique, the U.S. distributor for The Macallan.

"I was surprised that we (the Midwest) were going to get that many. The Chinese and the Japanese are huge single-malt scotch connoisseurs."

And even in politically correct times when the wheel-greasing relationship between fine liquor and politics isn't overtly touted, some Republicans see that as good business sense.

"I've been in the $250,000 donor suite. People expect the good booze," said Sarah Janecek, the Republican publisher of Politics in Minnesota. "Do we expect anything less from the Republicans than drinking $500 scotch? ... I don't think (John) McCain is going to stay at the Kelly Inn."

Joe Webber, a longtime Republican activist, said there likely would be wry commentary from the opposition: "I'm sure the Dems are going to have plenty of lighthearted comments about it."

Former St. Paul Mayor George Latimer, a Democrat, obliged: "Thank goodness (Mitt) Romney didn't win because all the people in there would be drinking water. ... I think the McCain people being free thinkers, they might have a few."

The hotel bought a lockable wood-and-glass container for The Macallan to make everyone feel better, complete with a backlight to make the bottle glow.

Serving it up always is a spectacle.

"You kinda expect them (patrons) to do cartwheels," said Hammer, who last week served the first shot of the 55-year-old vintage to one of the St. Paul Hotel's frequent patrons, who shared it with a friend.

The reaction was muted, Hammer said, but "they were pleased." (The patron, he added, is notoriously low-key.)

Troy Pearson, of Stillwater, who owns Hugo-based Pearson Mechanical Inc., struggled to describe the scotch while sampling it Thursday.

"There's a few fruits coming at you ... 'Smooth' could be every other word ... The finish goes off into the sunset," he said.

Attached File  Macallan_55_Pic.jpg   25.49KB   11 downloads

#57 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:30 PM

I want Bond to get into a fight with a rich dude's henchman in an office setting, and in the midst of his struggles, see him reach for a bottle of the Macallan 55 yr as a weapon, think twice, and see him put the bottle down gently and beat the baddie the old fashioned way.

That bottle looks so cool Arbo. Thanks for the picture of something which I cannot afford to even smell.

Just bought the 14-yr Cragganmore Double-Matured "Distiller's Edition". Haven't opened it yet. :tup:

#58 Arbogast777

Arbogast777

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:24 AM

Glenmorangie looks like they've redone their line. The new linup includes "The Original," "The Lasanta" (sherry cask), "The Quinta Ruban" (port cask), "The Nectar D'or," "Glenmorangie 18," and "Glenmorangie 25." Has anybody tried these yet???

Posted Image

#59 Arbogast777

Arbogast777

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:09 AM

So I'm really posting just to bump one of my favorite threads up but... have any of you Scotch lovers (and I love all of ya) tried using a Glencairn glass? A friend of mine brought me one back from Scotland and I've become so hooked on using it that I just ordered some more. I swear it makes single malt taste better. My old fashioned glasses are now gathering dust B)

Posted Image

#60 Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

I want Bond to get into a fight with a rich dude's henchman in an office setting, and in the midst of his struggles, see him reach for a bottle of the Macallan 55 yr as a weapon, think twice, and see him put the bottle down gently and beat the baddie the old fashioned way.

That bottle looks so cool Arbo. Thanks for the picture of something which I cannot afford to even smell.

Just bought the 14-yr Cragganmore Double-Matured "Distiller's Edition". Haven't opened it yet. Posted Image

Posted four years ago... interesting!