CRBond is the Prisoner?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Affection

Affection

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 01:47 AM

Let's face it, The Prisoner movie is going to be bigger than Bond at the box office (like all the other big budget spy films: True Lies, Mission Impossible, even Austin Powers).

The Prisoner was such a wonderful concept, of the audience knowing more than the main character, but never really knowing how much they know. Of the main character not knowing who to trust.
Along with Star Trek, it has to be the most talked about series of the 60s. Why not U/A buy the rights for EON to make Bond 21, and let James Bond become number 6 (or perhaps renamed to 007).

Sorry to be critical, but the last 3 films are too similar. Let's see some real characters and some real tension. The series needs some vitality breathed into it. James Bond the Prisoner, would break the formula we see in every movie, without losing audience. It would draw in a whole new interest in the series. I believe the producers have to innovate or Bond will fall further behind its box office rivals. Not neccessarily this, but I'd like to see something that will reinstate Bond as the biggest spy films in cinema. Could this do it?

#2 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 31 January 2002 - 01:58 AM

This has nothing to do with your thread, but did you know that Patrick McGoohan was asked to play James Bond? (I think when they looking for a Bond for Dr No).

McGoohan declined because of the sex and violence, apparently he was very religous (is he still alive?).

#3 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 02:11 AM

I have to say I like your idea. It would be interesting to see Bond in that type of situation (exactly the same situation that the original prisoner was in, isn't that what you mean?)

Would you like to see one of those "Big balls" (ahem! sorry, I can't think of what else to call them) chasing after Bond? I would.

#4 Affection

Affection

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 02:22 AM

Yes Dr Tynan. Those balls were called Rover. They were weather balloons. Well I'm pleased Patrick MaGoohan didn't take Bond as there would have been no Connery and no Prisoner.

Of course the Prisoner plot could be adapted to suit Bond. We could see the Bond regulars (M & Q) at the start of the film and then Bond is captured and taken to the island and we have the classic Prisoner scenarios.

Bond's mission could be to investigate missing agents, but then he is poisoned and taken to the island.

The island where Bond is held could end up exploding as Bond escapes, in true 007 style. Bond could even meet a girl there and he has to decide if he trusts her. It would not alienate existing audiences, but perhaps two thirds of the film would be on the island.

The psychological / paranoia / mystery / big brother on-an-island aspects would make it refreshingly different from the standard formula, and give an opportunity for some real character stuff and some real dramatic tension.

#5 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 01:40 PM

I thought The prisoner was meant to be the whacked out response to Bond, and was meant to have depth that Bond lacked.

Well...come off it. Don't give it too much rose-tinted specs. That which we do not understand, we fear. Or we mock. Or we invest with great depth. The last one being the case here. The Prisoner is shallow and its philosophy tired and extremely confused. It is a show about nothing.

For those who disagree, fine. But tremble ye at this: do you really expect the film to contain the "complexities" (ahem) of the TV series. Or will it be sanitised for the multiplex pound/dollar/euro/bartering chicken?

#6 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 01 February 2002 - 09:42 AM

I enjoyed The Prisoner (except for the final two episodes which IMHO were bollocks), largely because I'd been (and remain) a fan of Danger Man.

I don't think the concept would work for Bond, though. Bond is hardly the everyman that Number 6 was intended to be. Instead of indulging in minor acts of defiance, surely Bond would have seduced the female inhabitants,chucked Number Two through a window, blown up the dome, popped those giant beach ball thingies with his Sykes-Fairbairn throwing knife and made a daring escape- all in the pretitles sequence.

#7 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 01 February 2002 - 02:00 AM

I'm not being rude to either of you. I never actually saw a lot of the prisoner episodes and I never actually thought about what it's "Philosophy" was. Were the makers of it perhaps telling us we should not trust anyone? (That's just of the top of my head and I know it is a ridiculously shallow and unsophisticated "Observation" or whatever you'd call it.)

Also, I'm right about those balls chasing people, aren't I?