This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Bond's Walther In "Octopussy" - NOT The PPK!

39 replies to this topic

#31 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 04:24 AM

Does anyone know why both Octopussy and Never Say Never Again both feature the Walther P5? Did Walther make a product placement deal with the producers of each of these productions? Did the film makers feel that it was time to give James Bond a newer gun and retire Bond's use of a hand gun that have been introduced in the early 1930s?

#32 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 04:29 AM

Does anyone know why both Octopussy and Never Say Never Again both feature the Walther P5? Did Walther make a product placement deal with the producers of each of these productions? Did the film makers feel that it was time to give James Bond a newer gun and retire Bond's use of a hand gun that have been introduced in the early 1930s?

Everywhere I have been looking since hearing of this thread the other day have made reference to the odd fact that both Octopussy and Never Say Never Again both have James bond using the same gun, but make no explanation as to why. I can only guess perhaps it was easier to acquire for the few shots in the film, or they figured it was not that big of deal?

#33 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 05:06 AM

I know of no reason in particular.

Perhaps if we pursued either of the prop masters/armorer's from either flick, they could give us an answer.

Just a notion.

Hmmmmm.

*ponders*

Attached Files

#34 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:10 AM

Yes, I'd like to see a comeback of the PPK too! I allways felt it just belongs to Bond. As Bryce stated already, the lack of stopping-power can be dealt with by use of Glasers or GAS/BAT ammo. They would give Bond the necessary edge and the gun would still be quite small and concealable. And much more controllable while firing.

If they really have to bring up a kind of "ultra-modern-gun", they ought to change to the smaller Glock-versions or even the new Herstal 5.7. Shooters are talking only in hushed voices and with gleaming eyes about the Herstal (never had the opportunity to check out myself). Me personnaly, I find it rather ugly looking but arguably it is real state-of-the-art. You may check out yourself on:

http://www.global-de...ap-herstal.html

and

http://www.fnherstal.../html/Index.htm

Anyway, it is a real-world gun anti-terrorist-unites use for close-up combat. But Bond is IMO a completely different matter and he ought to have his own way with his personal handgun. And he should have his cigarette-case and Aston Martin back.

Edited by Trident, 28 July 2004 - 07:18 AM.

#35 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 04:41 PM

Yes! I did notice this! :)

The Walther he holds on the cover of Octopussy is much too large to be a PPK! It looked exactly like the P5! (Which Jason Bourne gets a chance to use in The Bourne Identity.)

#36 quiller

quiller

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 359 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 05:06 PM

Yes, I'd like to see a comeback of the PPK too! I allways felt it just belongs to Bond. As Bryce stated already, the lack of stopping-power can be dealt with by use of Glasers or GAS/BAT ammo. They would give Bond the necessary edge and the gun would still be quite small and concealable. And much more controllable while firing.

If they really have to bring up a kind of "ultra-modern-gun", they ought to change to the smaller Glock-versions or even the new Herstal 5.7. Shooters are talking only in hushed voices and with gleaming eyes about the Herstal (never had the opportunity to check out myself). Me personnaly, I find it rather ugly looking but arguably it is real state-of-the-art. You may check out yourself on:

http://www.global-de...ap-herstal.html

and

http://www.fnherstal.../html/Index.htm

Anyway, it is a real-world gun anti-terrorist-unites use for close-up combat. But Bond is IMO a completely different matter and he ought to have his own way with his personal handgun. And he should have his cigarette-case and Aston Martin back.

is'nt the herstal used in the n64 game of goldeneye

#37 daman3755

daman3755

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 01:40 AM

Yes! I did notice this! :)

The Walther he holds on the cover of Octopussy is much too large to be a PPK! It looked exactly like the P5! (Which Jason Bourne gets a chance to use in The Bourne Identity.)

Wha wha WHAT? Matt Damon uses a Walther P5 in "The Bourne Identity" interesting, and here I thought it was a Glock or a Sig Sauer. Interesting, I will have to watch that again just to see if that's right. Good work, dude.

#38 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 02:06 AM

When is that used in The Bourne Identity?

#39 James Boldman

James Boldman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 09:04 AM

I was watchin' Octopussy the other night at work. I'm a security guard, and since there's nothing better to do, I opted to bring movies and my laptop. Anyway I always noticed the size of the Walther that Bond would be toting around. I've seen it for the past two years now, but I wasn't sure what kind of gun it was. Till now.

Anyone ever know that Bond carried a Walther P5 in Octopussy? I sure as heck didn't. I was doing research for my book on Walther handguns and came across the specs for the P5. Cute gun, slightly bigger than the PPK. I wondered if, for some strange reason, that the producers had to go with the P5 in Octopussy. I question this because in AVTAK Bond is back to using the PPK again.

Anyone know why Bond used the P5 in Octopussy, yet hasn't ever again? Input needed. Thanks a bunch.

(I know that the handgun is used on "Walker Texas Ranger," I've noticed Ranger Trivette using it as his piece.)

Yep, I knew that, I'm also 95% sure he used the P5 in TSWLM, dispite what that link on the first page may say. :)

#40 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 10:39 AM

I wouldn't try to read too much in the use of the Walther P5 in place of the PPK. On film, it is a somewhat bigger gun which is probably why it was chosen (it was the 80s, after all). We're meant to believe they're PPKs. Obviously the audience bought it (or didn't care enough to notice).

By the way, on the same subject. The gun that Sean Connery fastens a silencer onto and kills Professor Dent with isn't a Walther PPK, either. It isn't even a Walther. It's an FN Browning Model 1910. Plus, when Bond is shooting at the dragon his gun changes from the FN Browning in one shot to a Colt .45 in another.

Here's another "gun gaffe": in the main titles for "GoldenEye" there are several PPKs (and one P1) slowly twirling around. One PPK (favoring the right side of the frame) is "flipped" and is a mirror image (this was done to make it twirl in the opposite direction). The open space in the slide revealing the frame/barrel inside is supposed to be on the right side of the gun.