12 replies to this topic

#1 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 06:38 PM

NOTE: I am not sure if this topic should be posted in this area but seeing how I promised said information at last night's wonderful Casa Bryce get-together, I am going to give it go anyway. Please feel free to move, scold, or both.

For those of you who are interested in viewing international DVDs (Bond or otherwise) and bypassing those silly region encodings, a reliable and inexpensive solution has been found.

Available by mail and in stores:

http://www.radioshac...a..._id=16-3274

Once purchased, the ultra-easy hack is here:

http://www.regionfre.../cyberhome.html

Mine works GREAT!

#2 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 08:04 PM

Forgive my technical inexpertise. Will this just hack the region code, or the format as well? In other words, if I bought the player and installed the hack: would this unit then play a PAL formatted Region 2 DVD on an American NTSC TV?

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 08:06 PM

I've been wanting a region free DVD player, they sound pretty damn cool. DLibra always has something good to say about 'em.

#4 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 08:35 PM

Forgive my technical inexpertise. Will this just hack the region code, or the format as well? In other words, if I bought the player and installed the hack: would this unit then play a PAL formatted Region 2 DVD on an American NTSC TV? www.regionfreedvd.net is also a good site to do some research on and cross refrence with epinions.

I don't know the specs on that player, but what you are talking about is highly important. If they DVD player won't convert the signals, then it's pretty much useless. You can check out www.epinions.com to read what other people thought of different DVD players and the like.

#5 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 09:43 PM

Yes.....I love region free DVD players, and they are fairly inexpensive these days

#6 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 12:18 AM

Yes! This player does convert PAL. Beautifully, I might add. It also plays MP3s and DVD-R's with great authority.

I am a PAL thinking Region 2 kind of guy trapped in the body of an NTSC Region 1 geriatric.

#7 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 04:15 PM

Well then, my local BestBuy is selling this unit for $36.99US and the "hack" is simply a code from the remote, and a friend of mine has a PAL disc to test--so all in all, sounds like I'll be experimenting with this over the weekend.

If successful, The Wild Geese will be ordered from AmazonUK immediately.

#8 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 12:16 AM

Finally got the region free player I've been meaning to buy for quite some time. Now I can watch the second set of Aussie Saint dvds at home, after watching the 1st set at work on a Mac.

#9 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 01:29 AM

NOTE: I am not sure if this topic should be posted in this area but seeing how I promised said information at last night's wonderful Casa Bryce get-together, I am going to give it go anyway. Please feel free to move, scold, or both.

For those of you who are interested in viewing international DVDs (Bond or otherwise) and bypassing those silly region encodings, a reliable and inexpensive solution has been found.

Available by mail and in stores:

http://www.radioshac...a..._id=16-3274

Once purchased, the ultra-easy hack is here:

http://www.regionfre.../cyberhome.html

Mine works GREAT!

IT WORKS--perfectly. Tested with a Region2 PAL and a REgion 3 NTSC. Excellent!! Now the region/format barrier will plague me no more. Thank you.

#10 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 05:40 AM

IT WORKS--perfectly. Tested with a Region2 PAL and a REgion 3 NTSC. Excellent!! Now the region/format barrier will plague me no more. Thank you.

Did you doubt me?! I am, after all, the solution to the Energy Crisis...

#11 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 25 July 2004 - 07:35 AM

:) :)

The more that people can play their DVD's region free the more redundant the whole regional concept will be.

#12 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 10:54 AM

IT WORKS--perfectly.  Tested with a Region2 PAL and a REgion 3 NTSC.    Excellent!!  Now the region/format barrier will plague me no more.  Thank you.

Did you doubt me?! I am, after all, the solution to the Energy Crisis...

Oh heaven forbid.

#13 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 11:21 AM

I have a region free DVD player for a year now. Cost