How about some ULTIMATE DVD Editions?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Bondson

Bondson

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 September 2001 - 12:21 AM

I'd like to propose to MGM that they release an Ultimate Edition of OHMSS with the missing scenes of Lazenby chasing a spy through the streets of London. Does anyone know what happened to this missing footage and does it still exist? In fact, I've read of many deleted scenes that haven't made it into the final cut and have always felt that MGM missed a golden opportunity to give the fans something extra special. Apart from Diamonds and Living Daylights there aren't any on the other discs. And what about Goldeneye, there was a whole car chase missing? (see original trailer for said shot). Can anyone let me know whether they have seen any of these deleted scenes anywhere?

#2 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 23 September 2001 - 01:29 PM

Ha, a Golden Trilogy, that would be very cool.

The deleted scenes are real interesting, yeah, I wish more of them were put into the DVDs, especially the DAF ones, which are sort of needed for the storyline, the AVTAK one in police station was cool too BTW.

I would have liked to see a bit more extra stuff in the Special Edition for sure, more interviews with cast and crew, ones done from the films release is what I'd like to see. No doubt they'll be a new Ultimate Edition in a few years, I still think they deliberaty left stuff out to be put in future editions.

#3 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 23 September 2001 - 12:53 PM

I think MGM should release a 'Golden Trilogy' containing GF, TMWTGG and GE. Then pack each disc with anything and everything to do with the movie, eg. the deleted beach scene from TMWTGG, theres so much they could put on,

#4 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 23 September 2001 - 11:20 AM

There is also some deleted footage in the dvd of A view to a kill.
It s a great funny scene because we see Bond in a french Police station, and the police men gives him his pen (from octopussy), and others cool gadgets.

FOR Ohmss. I saw the pictures of the scene. If you have the book called "the eseential bond" there are four little pics of Lazenby in the streets of London.
i ll try to scan them.

#5 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 07 November 2002 - 12:30 PM

Originally posted by mrmoon
I think MGM should release a 'Golden Trilogy' containing GF, TMWTGG and GE. Then pack each disc with anything and everything to do with the movie, eg. the deleted beach scene from TMWTGG, theres so much they could put on,

I suppose there could also be a 'Death Trilogy' now with Live and Let Die, Tomorrow Never Dies and Die Another Day.

Sorry. Very old thread resurrected from the depths of the search function. Was looking for something else.
:)

#6 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 07:28 PM

I guess between now and the next film, maybe 2-3 years, thats alot of time before MGM start giving Bond a big out service again, probabley in the year of 2005, they will undoubtly release the films again in a neat package for newer fans, new generation just discovering Bond, and maybe have some treats for old fans too. Remember they could include more input from Brosnan, Dalton, Roger , Sean maybe not, maybe had enough of talking about it, but also remember DVDs are in fashion now, maybe in 2004/2005, there's a strong possibility of a improved format, yep, blue light, or whatever that has better picture/sound/memory, hopefully it would be backwards compatable with dvds, but I think it will come, and then would likely be a good time to do ultimate editions, in the new era of a new formate, as much as I hate change, I think its likely.

I think the s.e for now will do.

#7 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 09 November 2002 - 12:50 AM

There was a thread a while back about a project that is underway to remaster the soundtracks of some of the Bond films (about nine of them, if I remember correctly). Some of us thought that this might be for future DVD releases.

Thanks to the current re-issues, I finally own all the Bonds on DVD (with the obvious exception of DIE ANOTHER DAY), but I'd be prepared to part with more cash if they released a handful of the "classics" in attractive packages, for example featuring artwork based on the original posters.

It would be great to have Superbit versions of some of the Bond films, or at least DVDs with as much storage space as possible given over to ensuring the best possible sound and picture quality. Maybe two-disc editions with nothing but the films themselves on the first discs, and all bonus material on the second discs.

#8 Doubleshot

Doubleshot

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 09 November 2002 - 01:03 AM

Agreed. I would especially like to see more in-depth documentaries on the Brosnan-era discs and more behind-the-scenes material as those are the films where the lack of material should be no problem. The TWINE disc, in particular, was very lacking, featuring only the theatrical trailer and the music video in the promotional area where the majority of the other discs included not only the teaser and theatrical trailers, but TV and radio spots. I would also like to see isolated score tracks, particularly on the classic Barry-scored films such as Goldfinger, Thunderball, and OHMSS. It would be just as good if MGM could reformat the documentaries to be anamorphic-friendly and perhaps make them longer, as we know there are more interviews and I find some principle crew members that were not available to be interviewed then may be available now.

#9 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 09 November 2002 - 05:43 AM

The Bonds were the reason I bought a DVD player to begin with. While some may complain about having to buy these again, I would jump at the chance for ultimate editions.

I don't know what the availability of some material is like, but there seems like there should be a lot more on some of the discs. Like the specials made for Thunderball (which was on the laser disc version) and YOLT. And some of the featurettes. Some of the discs in the second wave of discs seemed to skimp in certain areas. I couldn't understand why, for instance, for as much publicity as was done with Moonraker that there were no TV commercials included. The chance is there to do something great. If they are willing to put in the effort, I'm willing to part with my cash.

#10 JBond007

JBond007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 10:22 AM

I would have liked to see a bit more extra stuff in the Special Edition

Definitely they will have to have 2,3,4 disc sets, since the more you put on a disc, the lower the quality of the picture due (bit rates etc).

So here's what I propose

Disc 1. The movie (with isolated score, commentary, production notes subtitles, etc )
Disc 2. The usual documentaries and trailers

Disc 3. More documentaries

Disc 4. Photo Galleries, Quicktime VR stuff. Music videos etc etc.

Disc 3 and 4 probably won't be needed if all can fit on the second disc.

The reason why the Region 4 disc of TWINE
featured some pixellation in the documentaries was because they tried to fit too much onto one disc.