This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

DAF: Is Fleming dissapointed in his villains?

6 replies to this topic

#1 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 07:30 PM

Okay, I've read this book before but many years ago and on my re-=read I am up to chapter 12.

It seems everyone agrees that the villains are not as good as Le Chiffre, Mr. Big or Hugo Drax.

It seems to me Fleming feels the same way: he is constatntly having Bond think of them just as thugs etc. Now I know that Bond will come to realize how dangerous they can be, but by that time it will be too late for we readers: Fleming has already brainwashed us that they are small time and not that dangerous and compared to his previous villains they aren't.

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 07:32 PM

Now I know that Bond will come to realize how dangerous they can be, but by that time it will be too late for we readers: Fleming has already brainwashed us that they are small time and not that dangerous and compared to his previous villains they aren't.

You hit it exactly B007GLE. They are the deepest dissapointment of the book. Fleming tries so hard, a bit too hard I think to make them out to be larger than life, but their lack of actual time in the book hurts them. They turn out to be rather mediocre I think. Actions speak louder than words, and words were just not enough in this case.

#3 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 07:36 PM

Now I know that Bond will come to realize how dangerous they can be, but by that time it will be too late for we readers: Fleming has already brainwashed us that they are small time and not that dangerous and compared to his previous villains they aren't.

You hit it exactly B007GLE. They are the deepest dissapointment of the book. Fleming tries so hard, a bit too hard I think to make them out to be larger than life, but their lack of actual time in the book hurts them. They turn out to be rather mediocre I think. Actions speak louder than words, and words were just not enough in this case.

Plus flemings words mostly belittle the bad guys. There is no building them up like he did with Mr. Big and Drax.

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 07:39 PM

Plus flemings words mostly belittle the bad guys. There is no building them up like he did with Mr. Big and Drax.

You're reading my mind. :)

Once again, right on target. The thing is I think, perhaps Fleming knew his villains like Mr. Big or Hugo Drax already were outstanding and above all else that he fewlt he didn't need to use too many words to build them up.

Maybe he just didn't have enough confidence in the Spang brothers.

#5 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 01:31 AM

Yes, the book's villians are really weak. I found the book anti-climatic.

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 01:32 AM

Yes, the book's villians are really weak. I found the book anti-climatic.

I wouldn't say anticlimactic judging from the last chapter. But that train well...yeah, (to not let any spoilers out) IMO

#7 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 08:36 AM

Unofficially joining the book club but about two books ahead..

The villains in this book are certainly the weakest, but I guess its not compulsory to have great villains. Compared to Tiffany Case many of the Bond girls could be considered the same way.