21 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 12:57 PM

Pierce Brosnan told GMTV today in a interview that he wants to do one more James Bond although his contract is up after this DAD.
I think it's very likely that the contract will be extended.

#2 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 10:27 PM

General Koskov (21 May, 2002 07:16 a.m.):

Jim (21 May, 2002 07:06 a.m.):
Yeah, I'm sure he does want to do one more. Now out of contract, he can hold EON to ransom for much money indeed. Both Connery and Moore did the same thing. Let's see how greedy Mr Brosnan is. Let's see if EON call his bluff and go for someone cheaper. It's only a business.

When EON is held ransom, does Brosnan say: 'I'm giving you the same four films you gave me'?

Nah he says...."You know the gross for my first four? Give me a tenth of that for the next two."

-- Xenobia

#3 Sanchez

Sanchez

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 05:24 PM

A while back I read one critic say "A few actors have played James Bond, however, Pierce Brosnan IS James Bond". I think Pierce can quite safely go on for a while yet.

Also, a while back word reached me that the REAL reason that Mr Lazenby only did one Bond film was that he slept with the Producer's or the Director's daughter and therefore fell foul of the powers that be(and not that his agent/friend advised him to move onto other things).

#4 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 07:13 PM

I don't think Brosnan should do 3 more Bond movies after DAD because I think he would look to old like Roger Moore did when he made AVTAK. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed AVTAK but Moore was too old in my opinion and the movie was probably worse because of it. I think we could get another two out of him.

#5 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 08:06 PM

Mr Trump (20 May, 2002 08:13 p.m.):
I don't think Brosnan should do 3 more Bond movies after DAD because I think he would look to old like Roger Moore did when he made AVTAK. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed AVTAK but Moore was too old in my opinion and the movie was probably worse because of it. I think we could get another two out of him.

I agree. As good as AVTAK was, we don't want another 'Granddad Bond' scenario.
Brosnan's definitely got another one, maximum two left in him. After that he'd most probably look too old and in many people's eyes; will have outstayed his welcome.

I'd gladly watch him in two more, but six should be his max.

#6 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 10:07 PM

Granddaddy Bond is definately to be avoided, but the one thing everyone needs to remember -- and I will keep reminding people of -- is that PB is aging at a much slower rate than Moore, he could do three more Bonds and look better than Moore in AVTAK.

Ultimately...it's Pierce's call, and perhaps Mr. Brosnan should be asked that question so we can have that answer.

-- Xenobia

#7 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 06:16 AM

Jim (21 May, 2002 07:06 a.m.):
Yeah, I'm sure he does want to do one more. Now out of contract, he can hold EON to ransom for much money indeed. Both Connery and Moore did the same thing. Let's see how greedy Mr Brosnan is. Let's see if EON call his bluff and go for someone cheaper. It's only a business.

When EON is held ransom, does Brosnan say: 'I'm giving you the same four films you gave me'?

#8 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 12:04 AM

Sanchez (20 May, 2002 06:27 p.m.):
A while back I read one critic say "A few actors have played James Bond, however, Pierce Brosnan IS James Bond". I think Pierce can quite safely go on for a while yet.

Also, a while back word reached me that the REAL reason that Mr Lazenby only did one Bond film was that he slept with the Producer's or the Director's daughter and therefore fell foul of the powers that be(and not that his agent/friend advised him to move onto other things).

If those 'facts' are from the same person, I'd be very worried about Brosnan's career as Bond. :)

#9 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 06:06 AM

#10 Sanchez

Sanchez

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 12:59 AM

If those 'facts' are from the same person, I'd be very worried about Brosnan's career as Bond. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In short, no, the "Pierce Brosnan IS James Bond" quote was from a film critic in England and the info re: Mr Lazenby was from a most reliable industry insider.

#11 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 06:13 AM

Who said Lazenby slept with Babs/ Ms Hunt? Are you insinuating Lazenby himself? ???

#12 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 04:07 PM

He's got plenty of life left in him, he can do several more, he's fit enough and it's a great career move...

#13 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 09:35 PM

White Persian (21 May, 2002 10:46 a.m.):

General Koskov (20 May, 2002 05:27 p.m.):
Connery didn't want to do Diamonds Are Forever, but he lost the ability to not accept bribes when he gave up playing Bond. :)

Since Connery donated his fee to an educational trust, this is a tad unfair. :)

But he still returned. Maybe all the other Bond actors have donated their cheques to charity. It was nice of Connery, though.

#14 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 04:27 PM

I think he'll have a record after one more: the only Bond to want to, and have audiences want him to, do more than five films.

Connery didn't want to do Diamonds Are Forever, but he lost the ability to not accept bribes when he gave up playing Bond. :) Moore went through a series of: the people want him--he doesn't; he wants to--the people don't; and so on, until he ended up looking a little too old in A View to a Kill. Dalton thought he shouldn't do another after being Bond for eight years (albeit two films)--the people wanted him. Lazenby would have been wanted, but alas, no contract for seven films: he didn't want the part again.

So keep going, Brosnan, but don't extend your stay until you're hanging on a rope. A la Moore and Connery in their respective last films!

#15 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 08:06 PM

Xenobia (20 May, 2002 11:07 p.m.):
PB is aging at a much slower rate than Moore, he could do three more Bonds and look better than Moore in AVTAK.
-- Xenobia

Not sure about that, Pierce now and Moore in Spy!! A tough call to be sure.

I think the thing to remember is that Pierce has tackled the role in a much more physical fashion than Moore was asked to do, so when viewing the aging process and comparing the two actors during their tenure, it may well be Brosnan that comes unstuck as he slows down from his early 40's period.

But we will see.

#16 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 09:46 AM

General Koskov (20 May, 2002 05:27 p.m.):
Connery didn't want to do Diamonds Are Forever, but he lost the ability to not accept bribes when he gave up playing Bond. :)

Since Connery donated his fee to an educational trust, this is a tad unfair. :)

#17 leviramsey

leviramsey

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 07:00 AM

General Koskov (21 May, 2002 07:13 a.m.):
Who said Lazenby slept with Babs/ Ms Hunt? Are you insinuating Lazenby himself? ???

It's not Babs... she was 7 at the time of OHMSS.

That said, I'd do her (now).... ;-)

#18 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 03:47 PM

I agree, I think Brosnan has got life in him yet to do another 2 Bond films, maybe even a third, after all, look how old Moore was when he did AVTAK!

#19 Mouse

Mouse

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 04:03 PM

Brosnan is now as old as Moore was when he did TSWLM and Moore did not look old in that. So Brosnan has got time to age, like Moore did.

Not that I don't want him back. He should always do Bond!!!!!

#20 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 08:18 PM

I think that Pierce should do one or two more. He is the second best Bond(after Connery)and no Bond has come as close to Connerys formula than Brosnan. He wants to do one more after DAD, but after that is unknown. I just hope we don't have a Connery/Moore situation again.

#21 WarBird

WarBird

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 July 2002 - 03:19 AM

I also think Brosnan could do anther 2 or 3 movies. Brosnan is one of my personal favorite top three bond actors. I would enjoy seeing brosnan in anther couple movies.

#22 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 11:09 AM

Brosnan appears enormously popular with most of us fans, and it seems fairly clear that he has a pretty good relationship with the powers behind the Bond movies. He's made more money for them than they could possibly have hoped for when they signed him up, and also he's still young, all things considered, only just coming up to 50, so it's a safe bet he'll be filling the tux for at least Bonds 21 and 22, and most likely Bond 23, no doubt commanding a very handsome fee for his work.