9 replies to this topic

#1 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 08:57 AM

Reading various postings on the CBN forums, I've learned that John Woo was offered Goldeneye and Martin Campbell given the chance to direct TND.
Does anyone have reliable information of other directors who were offered Bond films?
I'm not interested in any of the patently absurd rumours such as the story of a few years back that Martin Scorsese would direct TWINE, or the frequently repeated claim that Spielberg wanted/was offered a Bond, but if anyone has it on good authority that so-and-so was actually asked to direct a Bond film, I'd like to know.

#2 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 08:58 PM

I heard from Speilberg himself that he was going to do a Bond film, but George Lucas said that's old hat, and so he did Indiana Jones. But that may just be Speilberg boasting.

#3 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 07:27 AM

Same old Georgi!

Personally I liked the first version of the story better.

#4 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 04:45 AM

OK, then, I feel better about this. . .I read once that Spielberg said to Lucas, "I WANT to direct a Bond film;" and Lucas replied, "I've got something better;" but, darn, General Koskov, I held my tongue because I figured you heard it from the source!

#5 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 03:37 PM

Cant hold that one against him. A jobbing director goes where the work is. Its not like Hopkins wrote Lost in Space. He just filmed the script they gave him.

Look at the resume of any Bond director and you can see what a mixed bag their work has been -
Quality wise.

#6 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 08:34 PM

Guy Hamilton was actually offered the chance to direct "Dr. No" in 1962, but he turned it down. When "Goldfinger" came his way, he made sure not to make the same mistake.

#7 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 02:12 AM

Acutally it wasn't as much of a conversation as it was me listening to a short documentary at the end of the Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark tape. ;d

So much for exhalted circles! :)

#8 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 09:11 PM

You mix in exalted circles General.
Im sure a lot of us would like to have been able to say we had that conversation.

#9 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 06:10 PM

A couple of reliable sources tell me that Stephen Hopkins was on the shortlist for the current film but was committed to finishing off the first season of 24.

#10 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 12:30 PM

After the disaster that was Lost In Space, I'm so glad that Stephen Hopkins was otherwise engaged.