Why don't they just name Bond 21...

8 replies to this topic

#1 The_Godfather

The_Godfather

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 12:04 AM

Why doesn't EON name Bond 21 Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. It's a very Bondian title and goes back all the way to Fleming.

#2 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 01:17 AM

White Persian (18 May, 2002 02:09 a.m.):
Well, not quite to Fleming. The phrase was apparently coined by an Italian journalist in the early sixties.

Acutally it is Fleming. He said: something about James Bond being a childhood fantasy and Bond was 'about' '...kiss kiss, bang bang, that sort of stuff.'

But you're right, the Italians did call Bond 'Mr Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang'.

#3 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 04:42 PM

Yeah, I've always wondered about the similarities between MKKBB, and CCBB. It's strange.

#4 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 01:14 AM

No offence, but to me, that title sounds rather corny. To date, the 'cheesiest' title has been The Spy Who Loved Me in that it recognises Bond as a 'superhero' (in sex), which he's not. Licence to Kill was nearly as bad. This 'cheese factor' comes from the silliness of the foreign titles such as: 'James Bond vs the Satanic Dr No' or 'Agent 007 and the Rocket of Death' (sic?)--they all include Bond's name/number.

The songs may be called what they want e.g. 'Nobody Does it Better', or MKKBB, but I'm glad that since Licence to Kill, Eon has kept the titles good (except for Tomorrow Never Dies, but that was bad for a different reason).

Also, they've made the song(s) so... y'know. :)

#5 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 04:14 PM

Or if we replace the Kisses with Chitties then we have a truly Fleming title.

#6 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 01:09 AM

Well, not quite to Fleming. The phrase was apparently coined by an Italian journalist in the early sixties.

Personally I feel it's a bit too flippant to be used as a title.

#7 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 01:48 AM

I've heard of the Japanese calling Bond MKKBB, but I read on some reputable source (of course I've fogotten it now!) that 'the Italians (not the Japanese) took to calling James Bond Mr Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang'.

Of course I might be wrong.
(Not bloody likely!) :)

#8 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 18 May 2002 - 01:34 AM

General Koskov (18 May, 2002 02:17 a.m.):

White Persian (18 May, 2002 02:09 a.m.):

Acutally it is Fleming. He said: something about James Bond being a childhood fantasy and Bond was 'about' '...kiss kiss, bang bang, that sort of stuff.'

But you're right, the Italians did call Bond 'Mr Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang'.

I thought it was a Japanese coinage.

#9 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 01:55 AM

I've heard both that it was the Italians and the Japanese who came up with it. . .I guess that it's like the purpose of Stonehenge: we may never know the truth. But, truth to tell, although I respect Kiss Kiss Bang Bang's heritage, it just doesn't sound like the title for a Bond film--it's a little too cute. Still and all, if EON ever decided to use it they could polish up the song Dionne Warwick recorded for "Thunderball" and use it--it's the best Bond song never to make it into a Bond film.