1 reply to this topic

#1 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 04:37 PM

Well, fellow Bladesians, I began rereading DAF yesterday and its beter than I remembered. (I thnk once the Spang boys show up I may return to disappointment.)

Anyway I love the opening chapter with the Scorpion (funny how in the book the dentist kills the scorpion but in the film its vice-versa). I was also impressed with Flemings eye for detail. You could practically lift off a helicopter yourself using his description as a guide.

The next two chapters are really very good exposition. Good M/Bond scene and a good one with Valence at "the Yard". I had forgotted that Peter Franks makes an appearance in the book. In fact the beginning of the book shows up to an extent in the film version. I wonder where and why they decided to veer off into sci-fi territory? Most likely becuse they wnated it wild and nothing like OHMSS.

All in all I am very happy with the 1st three chapters.

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 06:22 PM

Well, fellow Bladesians, I began rereading DAF yesterday and its beter than I remembered. (I thnk once the Spang boys show up I may return to disappointment.)

Anyway I love the opening chapter with the Scorpion (funny how in the book the dentist kills the scorpion but in the film its vice-versa). I was also impressed with Flemings eye for detail. You could practically lift off a helicopter yourself using his description as a guide.

I am with you B007GLE. I recently finished the book, and the first and last chapters are my two favorites actually. It's such a fantastic way to open up the book, and then get right into it with Bond and M, and the diamonds in the following chapters.

Very well done in my opinion.