#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 04:58 AM

Well?

Was there more he could have taken from the book's storyline to have kept the film more similar? Was the film better because of the reason that it was different from the book? Thoughts?

#2 Moonraker

Moonraker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 306 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:09 PM

I think he should have had more elements from the book. Like the mudbath scene, the train, and the Spang brothers instead of Blofeld. I like the film and the book and was a little disappointed that were so different.

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 09:21 PM

I like the film and the book and was a little disappointed that were so different.

I'm with you. I think more could have actually been done to prevent the diamond plots from being so dramatically different.

#4 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 12:48 AM

I've only read parts of the DAF novel so I can't form a complete opinion of whether the film would have been better if it had been more faithful or not. However, I don't think the DAF film's deviations from the novel can be totally Mankiewicz's responsibility. According to the "Inside Diamonds Are Forever" documentary on the DVD, after the disappointing box returns(relatively speaking) of a serious, faithful to Fleming Bond film in OHMSS, both UA and EON already planned to return to the GF formula even before Mankiewicz came aboard. Richard Maibaum's first draft had already put Goldfinger's twin brother, not the Spang brothers, as the lead villain and, if memory serves me correctly, I believe Goldfinger was going to use a laser weapon from inside a tanker(foreshadowing Stromberg's Liparus in TSWLM). So, EON, UA, and Maibaum had already decided to ditch quite a bit of Fleming's source material prior to Mankiewicz's arrival.

#5 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 12:53 AM

Yeah, it's not all Mankiewicz's responsibility. But on the initial question, I do wish that more of the novel had made its way into the film. But the book wasn't that spectacular, so it's not something I'll lose sleep over.

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 01:23 AM

Yeah, it's not all Mankiewicz's responsibility.

Oh no, not at all. :)

I've just used his name, as he was the screenwriter you associate with Diamonds Are Forever.

#7 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 08:54 PM

I think they did fine with what was included in the film version of DAF. The mudbath was given a nod at the beginning where Blofeld was being cloned. As for the Spang Brothers, they were pretty much just hoodlums and not that exciting to being with. And the ghost town thing sounded like something out of The Man From UNCLE or something.

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 01:47 AM

I think they did fine with what was included in the film version of DAF. The mudbath was given a nod at the beginning where Blofeld was being cloned. As for the Spang Brothers, they were pretty much just hoodlums and not that exciting to being with. And the ghost town thing sounded like something out of The Man From UNCLE or something.

True, while Diamonds Are Forever didn't offer the best when it came to villains, I guess I just would have liked to see something morew similar.

#9 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:07 PM

I'm up to chapeter 10 now in my re-read of DAF and I'd forgotten how much the screenwriters kept! Here is just apartial list of them:

The Scorpion in the 1st chapter;

Peter Franks;

Tiffany first meeting Bond in her underwear;

Wint & Kidd on the plane shadowing Bond and Tiffany;

The Spang Brothers are twins whcih may have been (at least partiallly) the inspiration for Blofeld's look-alikes,

and here's one for you:

"The custom's officer, a paunchy good-living man with dark sweat marks at the armpits of his grey uniform shirt..."

Tell me that isn't the charisma-less Norman Burton's Felix Leiter to a Tee?

#10 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:39 PM

To me he was the BEST bond scribe - plain n simple.

#11 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:43 PM

The Spang Brothers are twins whcih may have been (at least partiallly) the inspiration for Blofeld's look-alikes,

Hmm, I would think it all came from Cubby's "Dream." I do see what you mean though, never thought of it that way.

#12 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:09 PM

I al;ways thought the Spang brothers belonged more in a Mike Hammer story than a Bond story. I'm frankly glad that so little was used from the book as I view it as one of the weakest of Flemings work.

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:11 PM

I al;ways thought the Spang brothers belonged more in a Mike Hammer story than a Bond story. I'm frankly glad that so little was used from the book as I view it as one of the weakest of Flemings work.

If Fleming had actually done more than just making them out to be intensely dangerous, but never, or rarely showing exactly how, they would have made much better contenders for villains to go into the film.

#14 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 06:54 PM

Qwerty,

You mnetion Cubbies dream for the inspiration of the Blofeld look-alikes. (Sorry I can't figure out how to copy what you said directly and place it here so I must paraphrase.)

Anyway, I thought the same thing as well, but Cubbies dream was that he went to see Howard Hughs and someone else had taken his place, which is what is done with Willard Whyte in the film. I don't think there was anything in Cubbies dream about look-alikes. They say it came from the discarded idea that Lazenby woudl be Connery after plastic surgery.

I thik that the twin Spangs may have somehow, maybe even subconsciously influenced Mankewicz.

B007GLE

#15 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 06:55 PM

Qwerty,

You mnetion Cubbies dream for the inspiration of the Blofeld look-alikes. (Sorry I can't figure out how to copy what you said directly and place it here so I must paraphrase.)

That's also a very different way at looking at it.

And BTw, you can just click "Quote" on my post for easier copying.

#16 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 07:08 PM

[QUOTE]

Did I do that correctly?

#17 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 07:09 PM

Hmm, just lick the word "Quote" on my post, and then you can type a message along with that you quoted from me.

#18 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 07:24 PM

Hmm, just lick the word "Quote" on my post, and then you can type a message along with that you quoted from me.

[
I think this may have worked.

Qwerty, thanks for your patience and assitance, my brother in Bond.

B007GLE

#19 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 07:26 PM

You got it, B007GLE. :)

Not a problem.

#20 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:33 PM

I'd rather not have the space lazer, Jimmy Dean, and some corniness with Blofeld. I truly wish that they would have used the Tiffany Case character from the book and not cast Jill St. John in the role. There's just something about the character in the book that I really liked. I also liked Tifanny's rescue on the ship at the end... that was a fun scene to read.....

#21 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 07:11 PM

From Chapter 18:

"Bond braced himself as the tyres screamed and the car lurched on two wheels and tehn righted itself and stopped."

Could this be the inspiration for the two-wheeled alleyway drive?

It seems that Mankiewicz took lots of littel things from Fleming to make his own story.

#22 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 07:14 PM

Nice obsevation B007GLE! :)

I was wondered why the took away the, I suppose it can be called, the villainous marking on Wint of his wart that he always sucked on. A bit disturbing and odd, but then they often seemed fond of that distinguishing mark on the villains. (Blofeld's scar, Scaramanga's third nipple, Teehee's claw, etc.)

#23 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 08:16 PM

Putter Smith was odd looking enough probably without the wart.

Quick question: Did you notice that the two gansters following Bond and Cureo in the Jaguar are referred to as "pansy's" which made me think at first they were Wint and Kidd, but they were two other guys.

What is the deal with the Spangled Mob anyway?

#24 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 08:20 PM

Putter Smith was odd looking enough probably without the wart.

What is the deal with the Spangled Mob anyway?

True, such a odd, but good henchman.

The Spangled Mob, and Wint and Kidd in the book? Not too much to say about them. Rather bland, but they might have been better if they could have made a transfer which highlighted it in the movie.

#25 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 04:47 PM

The key to Wint and Kidd in the movie is that very creepy way they talk to each other and finish each other's sentences.

It is so good that the cartoon "Codename Kids Next Door" parodied it recently. I think my 8 year old may have beenthe only kid in America who got the joke.

#26 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 06:59 PM

The key to Wint and Kidd in the movie is that very creepy way they talk to each other and finish each other's sentences.

It is so good that the cartoon "Codename Kids Next Door" parodied it recently. I think my 8 year old may have beenthe only kid in America who got the joke.

Definitely agreed. Two of the most disturbing people you'll ever see in a Bond film. Far more effective than other characters. Wint's overbearing control, and Kidd's just odd looking character make them work. And of course the lines for the other to finish. :)

Don't believe I've seen that cartoon.