7 replies to this topic

#1 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 12:15 PM

When reading Fleming's RISICO, I came across a curious line about M: he (M) would never have dreamed of sending Bond out on an assignment without proper briefing.

Ha-ha! Tell it to John Gardner :)

#2 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 01:52 PM

John Gardner wrote spy stories ABOUT a man called James Bond. But few are real James Bond stories like Fleming, Amis or Benson did.

#3 IanFleming007

IanFleming007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 08:01 PM

That is the only thing that has ever bothered me while reading a John Gardner novel.

"Okay James this job is simple" said M, "Just get the girl out of there"

Bond reluctantly agreed "Yes, sir"

Two days later Bond is attacked and is dying in the hospital

M smiled at Bond in the hospital bed "Sorry, old chap...forgot to tell you she was a traitor"

:)

Besides that, the John Gardner novels are pretty good, not on the scale of Fleming but then again Benson isn't either. Amis is probably the closest to Fleming then them all.

#4 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 02:54 PM

I don't agree. I would happily read Gardner over Amis. I'm reading Colonel Sun at the moment and only one thing springs to mind - overrated!! It's taken me three weeks to get to chapter seven! Not because I'm a slow reader, but because I find it such a boring read.

Licence Renewed on the other hand, which I only started on Saturday is a cracking thriller and I've nearly finished it!

#5 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 03:03 PM

Wouldn't call not telling Bond that Miranda Frost is SIS a proper briefing.

#6 IanFleming007

IanFleming007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 03:05 PM

Colonel Sun is one of the few Bond books I don't own but I have read it (Thank God for the library!). But I will be taking it out again this week and my opinion may change.

But it's good to see there are alot of John Gardner fans out there, I love his works and he is way underrated.

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 06:33 PM

Colonel Sun is one of the few Bond books I don't own but I have read it (Thank God for the library!). But I will be taking it out again this week and my opinion may change.

But it's good to see there are alot of John Gardner fans out there, I love his works and he is way underrated.

Slightly underrated, but not always the best. Still a fan though.

#8 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 10:10 PM

Wouldn't call not telling Bond that Miranda Frost is SIS a proper briefing.

True - but Fleming's M and Judi Dench's M are two entirely different characters inside the Bond universe.