The next Bond Girl

28 replies to this topic

#1 Zorin

Zorin

Cadet

• Crew
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 09:00 PM

I would like to know who any of you think would be a good future bond girl. I for one think that they need to have an aussie bond girl, like Nicole Kidman, or a british bond girl, like Rosamund Pike (if she isn't the main bond girl in Die another Day, because she is too hot), if they want to go with an americain girl, they should go with a slightly older bond girl like Julia Roberts.That is just my opinion, but the bottom line is,they need to have a bigname actress for a bond girl, because most bond girls either are only known for their roles in th bond films, or are only get famous as a result from bond films. They aren't getting the opening sales as the used to, so they have to think big. pardon my run on sentence

#2 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 08:41 PM

General Koskov (18 May, 2002 07:43 p.m.):
Is Honour Blackman still the oldest Bond girl to date? Or does Halle Berry take that award? Still, she doesn't look as old as Honour did in '64. I don't think Connery's 'Maternal Instinct' quip helped either! :)

Honour was 37, a *gasp* entire 3 years older than Connery. And she looked great, a real woman and one of the top Bond women of the series, and she had great chemistry with Sean.

I believe Maude Adams was the oldest lead Bond girl at 38 in Octopussy (still 18 yrs younger than Moore). But Cassandra Harris at 39 in FYEO as Countess Lisle might be the oldest, and Serena Scott Thomas was 38 as Dr Warmflash in TWINE. All beautiful sexy women.

Halle is 35 and damned lovely. So were Michelle Yeoh at 35 and Sophie Marceau at 33, and they still are. Age is just a number. :)

MBE

#3 Arrant

Arrant

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 266 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 10:18 PM

If jennifer "tantrum" Lopez sings even the CLOSING song for a Bond Movie,let alone appears in one I would hang up my Walther and sell my DVD collection.

Now Rene Russo,that gentlemen is a woman.
Brosnan & Russo,in The Thomas Crown Affair.Hot enough to melt a plasma T.V.

Lets not forget Brosnan,may be getting better looking but he,s not getting any younger,and I would not like to see a repeat of that creepy moment in FYEO (I think) between an aging Roger Moore and a barely sixteen year old ice skater.
(Agreed,he was a gentleman and asked her to leave)

#4 leviramsey

leviramsey

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 08:20 PM

Is Honour Blackman still the oldest Bond girl to date? Or does Halle Berry take that award?

I posted an analysis of Bond character ages on a.f.j-b a couple of days ago. This data is taken from that post.

Honor Blackman is neither the oldest Bond Girl in the year of release nor is she the Bond girl born the earliest.

The former title belongs to Maud Adams in Octopussy (38 in 1983) while Blackman turned 37 in 1964. The latter title belongs to Zena Marshall (Miss Taro in Dr. No), who was born on 1 January, 1927, while Honor Blackman was born on 12 December.

#5 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 06:43 PM

Is Honour Blackman still the oldest Bond girl to date? Or does Halle Berry take that award? Still, she doesn't look as old as Honour did in '64. I don't think Connery's 'Maternal Instinct' quip helped either! :)

#6 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 06:46 PM

I don't really care if the girl's famous already. If she can act, and is beautiful, then she can be the girl.

If one starts only choosing popular actresses, then none of the new ones will get a chance.

#7 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 01:11 PM

I've mentioned this already in another thread, but I think Uma Thurman would be a great choice, following the tradition started in the Brosnan period of casting beautiful women who already have quite a bit of fame as well as acclaim as actresses (such as Famke Janssen, Michelle Yeoh, Sophie Marceau, Halle Berry) rather than the considerably lesser known likes of Tanya Roberts, Maryam d'Abo and Carey Lowell, who tend to appear mostly in straight-to-video dreck. In the pre-Brosnan era, the idea of a Best Actress winner playing a Bond girl as her next role would have been laughable. Now that Bond is (arguably) more commercially successful than ever, EON seems prepared to employ actresses at a higher end of the salary scale than before.
Anyway, assuming I can manage to type this without covering my keyboard in drool, my top ten future Bond girls list would consist of:
UMA THURMAN
MARIA DE MADEIROS
ZHANG ZIYI
CATE BLANCHETT
ASHLEY JUDD
MAGGIE CHEUNG
LIV TYLER
SALMA HAYEK
CATHERINE ZETA-JONES
RENE RUSSO

#8 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 07 May 2002 - 05:09 AM

Advanced years? Well, if you could see the gray streaks in my hair and watch me crane my head to hear you talk, ya wouldn't be laughing. Anyway, maybe we should start a petition demanding EON cast only women who are between 30-40 in Bond 21? Let's show the world that women born in the 1960s are the most gorgeous ones imaginable!

#9 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 07 May 2002 - 04:39 AM

Hardyboy (07 May, 2002 04:23 a.m.):
Nuts, MBE--I just got back from IMDb and I was going to post this info myself.  But--harumph!--someone born in 1964 is NOT old (I was born in 1966, so let's tread lightly here).  Laura Elena Harring's a bombshell, she doesn't look old, and she's still a heck of a lot younger than Pierce Brosnan.  She'd be great.

Hardyboy, LOL about treading lightly. Sorry sir, I forgot you were of such advanced years. ;-)

But did you not see my sarcasm alert? ;-) I don't think she's too old either. I don't think having the leading lady 11 yrs younger than the leading man is too small an age difference. Sure it's not the 30 yrs we had in the later Moore years but it's still OK. ;-) And I'm sure Pierce wouldn't mind, his first wife afterall was 12 years older than he was.

It's all those squeamish callow teenagers (I am not saying all or even most teenagers are like this, but these are the one's for some reason catered to) though who think any woman over 30 should be shoved in a closet that EON worries about and far too much IMO. Heck, Halle Berry born in 1966 is being called too old by some, rather disturbing.

MBE

#10 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 07 May 2002 - 03:23 AM

Nuts, MBE--I just got back from IMDb and I was going to post this info myself. But--harumph!--someone born in 1964 is NOT old (I was born in 1966, so let's tread lightly here). Laura Elena Harring's a bombshell, she doesn't look old, and she's still a heck of a lot younger than Pierce Brosnan. She'd be great.

#11 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 07 May 2002 - 02:07 AM

Hardyboy (07 May, 2002 02:18 a.m.):
I just rented David Lynch's "Mulholland Drive," and I was stunned by the actress who played the amnesiac.  Dark, sexy, exotic, beautiful. . .and she can ACT!  If I wasn't so lazy I'd head over to IMDb and look up her name, but trust me--she'd make a fantastic Bond girl.

That would be Laura Harring. But jeez shes soooo old like Julia Roberts and Nicole Kidman old, *gasp* actually even older, like she was born in 1964! That's even older than Halle Berry! ;P (I really need a sarcasm emoticon)

But agreed, she's gorgeous, a former Ms U.S.A and a good actress, she'd make a splendid Bond woman. And unlike some of the other women and girls mentioned in this thread she'd be affordable. ;-)

MBE

#12 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 07 May 2002 - 01:18 AM

I just rented David Lynch's "Mulholland Drive," and I was stunned by the actress who played the amnesiac. Dark, sexy, exotic, beautiful. . .and she can ACT! If I wasn't so lazy I'd head over to IMDb and look up her name, but trust me--she'd make a fantastic Bond girl.

#13 FallinRetard9

FallinRetard9

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 12:00 AM

I think that Britney Spears or Jeniffer Lopez would be good bond girls. Julia Roberts is way way way too old, and Nicole Kidman would be o.k but she's getting old too.

#14 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 12:09 AM

What about Liv Tyler?

#15 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 06:22 PM

White Persian (05 Apr, 2002 09:54 p.m.):
Then, if Hugh Jackman is the next Bond, and Patrick Stewart plays Blofeld, you'll be happy man!

Or if Ian McKellen plays a villain.

Dave

#16 Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 02:45 AM

My pick for a potential Bond girl would be Catherine Zeta-Jones. I think she and Brosnan would be great together...not to mention the fact that she's quite exotic looking and exquisitely beautiful.

#17 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 01:04 AM

I personally think that Jenna Elfmann (Keeping The Faith) has the looks to be a Bond girl. She's gorgeous
She could work for MI6 or be Miss. Moneypenny's assitant or something. Or if 007's ever in New York, he should definitely look her up.
What do you guys think?

#18 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 29 March 2002 - 09:48 PM

It's maybe a bit late to say this, but welcome to CBN.

I fancy Nicole Kidman, she'd make a great Bond girl. I also fancy Belinda Carlisle, she'd also make a great Bond girl. So what if she can't act (or maybe she can act, I don't know).

#19 James Bond

James Bond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 March 2002 - 12:27 AM

Hey! Sophie Marceau was already famous before she got the part as Bond-Bad-girl in TWINE
Denise Richards was known pretty well after her role in Wild Things
Tery Hatcher was so called famous after her role in Superman

Just to mention a few

However, I agree with you guys that the upcoming Bond-girls should be more famous than for instance Claudine Auger.
Halle Berry though is pretty well-known in the world.

#20 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 31 March 2002 - 03:42 AM

i DONT want julia roberts anywhere NEAR bond 21...by bond 22 she will be too old. period.

also, halle berry isnt exactly un-known...when was the last time we had a best actress oscar winner as a bond girl?

how about never...until now

i would have liked to have seen sharon stone as a bad bond girl a few years ago but alas her time may have passed....although she could still cut it as a principal villian, i.e. an older electra king type.

#21 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 03 April 2002 - 10:31 AM

Peta Wilson is busy as a new Mum at the moment, but I'd like to see her up for Bond21 heroine, especially if it's shot down under.
It won't happen, but if we ever have another cerebral Bond girl, rather than another Denise Richards debacle, I'd fancy seeing Gillian Anderson in the part.

#22 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 04:20 AM

I would like to make a public plea for Renee Russo to be a Bond girl. Yes she is older, but she and PB are sheer magic together! Those two together would put Connery and Blackman to shame!

-- Xenobia

#23 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 09:23 PM

I'd like to see Rebecca Romijn Stamos as a Bond Girl. Just think - Famke Janssen, Halle Berry, then Rebecca Romijn - all three would also be in the X-Men!

#24 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 08:54 PM

Then, if Hugh Jackman is the next Bond, and Patrick Stewart plays Blofeld, you'll be happy man!

#25 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 06 April 2002 - 02:42 AM

White Persian (05 Apr, 2002 09:54 p.m.):

I'd be one contented feline. :)

#26 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 09:23 AM

General Koskov (18 May, 2002 07:46 p.m.):
I don't really care if the girl's famous already. If she can act, and is beautiful, then she can be the girl.

If one starts only choosing popular actresses, then none of the new ones will get a chance.

I don't say that only famous actresses should be chosen as Bond girls, but it does seem that the huge commercial success of Goldeneye ushered in an era of Bond movies with much more stellar casts than was previously the case. The Bond people's new-found willingness to hire costlier talent is apparent not only in the recent casting of Bond girls but in other cast members: Sean Bean, Robbie Coltrane, Judi Dench, Robert Carlyle, John Cleese, Michael Madsen, etc. (okay, those actors aren't exactly the most famous and expensive in the world, but I bet they command higher fees than did the likes of Robert Brown, Jeroen Krabbe, Robert Davi and Anthony Zerbe). Prior to the Brosnan era, one could count on the fingers of one hand the household names who appeared in Bond films: for the moment I can only think of Christopher Lee, Topol and Christopher Walken (Telly Savalas became a star thanks to Kojak, long after OHMSS).

#27 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 09:55 PM

Mourning Becomes Electra (18 May, 2002 09:41 p.m.):

Honour was 37, a *gasp* entire 3 years older than Connery. And she looked great, a real woman and one of the top Bond women of the series, and she had great chemistry with Sean.

I believe Maude Adams was the oldest lead Bond girl at 38 in Octopussy (still 18 yrs younger than Moore). But Cassandra Harris at 39 in FYEO as Countess Lisle might be the oldest, and Serena Scott Thomas was 38 as Dr Warmflash in TWINE. All beautiful sexy women.

Halle is 35 and damned lovely. So were Michelle Yeoh at 35 and Sophie Marceau at 33, and they still are. Age is just a number. ;)

MBE

I don't have a problem with it, I was just wondering. But I found Dr Warmflash a bit unsexy. Bond should have 'skirted' her. :)

#28 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 09:58 PM

Rather than wondering 'which actress is going to be a Bond girl?', I wonder what role the next Bond girl(s) are going to have. Thought I cannot stand spoilers, I'd rather say: 'well, this actress looks like the type to be a henchwoman', or 'she looks like a 00 agent'.

I imagine it's hard to come up with original roles after Fleming did most of the good ones!

#29 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 09:09 PM

BondChick77 (06 May, 2002 01:00 a.m.):
I think that Britney Spears or Jeniffer Lopez would be good bond girls. Julia Roberts is way way way too old, and Nicole Kidman would be o.k but she's getting old too.

Sure Britney Spears would make a great Bond girl - if James Bond is played by Justin from N*Sync! :) And MoneyPenny can be played by Christina Aguilera, and the villain by Freddy Prinze Jr. And the name of the film could be "About time to die!"