Big Screen Bond

7 replies to this topic

#1 mycroft

mycroft

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2002 - 06:58 PM

Having been a Bond fan since I was a kid, I have seen them all on the big screen starting with Spy Who Loved Me. While I look forward to each new release in the series, I also wish that I could have seen the older ones in the theatre.
Even watching a big-screen tv with surround sound is nothing like seeing Bond in a theatre. The action, sound, stunts, and effects are just not the same. That is why we pay 10$ to go to the show!
I realize that it would have to make money to ever happen, but does anyone out there think the studio would ever re-release the series, even in some sort of limited, nostalgic, midnight showing? Could a fan based, grass roots push have any effect? Who do we go to first? Anyone? Or is this just a pipe-dream?

#2 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 10:25 AM

I remember when it was quite common in pre-video days to precede each new Bond with a re-release of earlier films on the big screen as part of a James Bond Festival.

Now that we can pop a video or DVD in and watch them whenever we have the urge, this rarely happens.

If MGM can build up a real feeling of anticipation for D.A.D., then a limited screening of pristine prints of, say Goldfinger, TSWLM and Goldeneye (to give a good overview of the last 40 years) could work well.

Make it a real event. Come as Bond, in a tux and black tie, or glammed up like a Bond girl. Cocktails at interval. Previews of D.A.D. etc. Imaginatively promoted, it could be a winner.

#3 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 03:37 AM

Well, White Persian, I've not looked at my OHMSS DVD for over a year due to being out of the UK, but I'm pretty sure that the deleted scenes aren't on the DVD version. The safecracking scene IS included, but I'm not sure that that was one of the scenes deleted in the first place. I can only remember one of the deleted scenes, a very short scene (with almost incredibly bad acting - you can tell when it was cut, though heaven knows why anyone thought it worthy of being put back in) with Bernard Horsfall as the other British agent in Switzerland posing as a mountaineer and getting angry with one of Blofeld's guards when told that he's not allowed to climb Piz Gloria.
One interesting thing about the box set video version of OHMSS is an evident lab mistake with the pre-credits sequence, resulting in Bond rescuing Tracy, fighting Draco's men and saying "This never happened to the other fella" in broad daylight!

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 25 March 2002 - 10:33 PM

Personally I think that MGM missed out on a big opportunity by no re-releasing at least some of the films to coincide with the 40th Annivesary. While I can see a reason behind it (public perception, seen one Bond seen them all / novelty wears off) pehaps releasing them in 2003 could be a good idea.

#5 SiCo

SiCo

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 March 2002 - 07:07 PM

I doubt they willl re-release the series soon, maybe one a year, but thats a lot of work and as you say a lot of money, however if you keep your eyes open you some cinemas have special showings of the older films, there have already been about 6 showings this year, so keep looking.

#6 Ry

Ry

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 25 March 2002 - 07:08 PM

Don't know where you live mycroft, but in Los Anegles, I have seen Dr. No, From Russia With Love (twice) and Goldfinger in the theaters. It also seems that they are going to release more in the upcoming months due to the 40th Anniversary and DAD. Perhaps these events will happen across the world as well. BTW when I saw Dr. No and From Russia With Love, it was sold out that night. Pretty good for movies that 40 years old!

#7 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 12:12 PM

Loomis (18 May, 2002 02:51 p.m.):
...about seven years ago and before the days of DVD, MGM/UA Home Video really went to town with an OHMSS video box set (containing a special issue of the James Bond Fan Club magazine and a signed photo of Lazenby) with two deleted scenes newly added to the film (and which are nowhere to be found on the current DVD release).

I have this Boxed Video, and it did restore the missing scenes from the earlier video release (the safecracking in Gumbolt's office and Campbell trying to follow Bond to Piz Gloria), but surely these scenes are in the most recent Video/DVD release too aren't they?

#8 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 01:51 PM

I don't see how anyone could have expected MGM to re-release any of the Bonds theatrically this year (a la the first Star Wars triology and E.T.), given that Die Another Day will be hitting cinemas.
That said, it would have been great if they'd issued a handful of Bonds (say the four or five biggest grossers or the films most commonly regarded as the best of the series: Dr No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, The Spy Who Loved Me, etc.) as special edition DVDs, with any previously unseen footage incorporated into the main feature rather than elsewhere on the disc, as well as a goodies-packed bonus disc. UK Bond fans may remember that, about seven years ago and before the days of DVD, MGM/UA Home Video really went to town with an OHMSS video box set (containing a special issue of the James Bond Fan Club magazine and a signed photo of Lazenby) with two deleted scenes newly added to the film (and which are nowhere to be found on the current DVD release).
Still, it's surely only a matter of time before MGM releases super-deluxe collectors' editions of classic Bonds to part us fans from our money: I just hope the entire canon doesn't get this treatment, or I'll swiftly find myself seriously cash-strapped!