10 replies to this topic

#1 White Knight

White Knight

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 11:54 PM

Goldfinger is one of my favorite Bond movies, but it just doesn't do it for me any more. I love Thunderall though, it is My absolute favorite! what's yours?

#2 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 16 February 2002 - 01:32 AM

From Russia With Love... to me it's the archetype. Love Blofeld, love Kerim, love the gypsy women, love Klebb, love the helicopter chase, Kronsteen... love it all! The plot is nice and understated compared to the latest Bond films... oh and for some reason I love part of it being set on a train which I find refreshing (and very 60's somehow) and classy compared to the usual big action of the films after Goldfinger. Yup FRWL is my fave Connery.

#3 piotr007

piotr007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 February 2002 - 12:12 PM

I think "Thunderball" has the same problem as TND. The film is excellent until Bond goes to Nassau. That all Shrublands (sp?) stuff and Vulcan hijacking is just perfect, and then is gets forgettable, if not boring. The same thing happens when 007 leaves Hamburg in TND.

#4 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 16 February 2002 - 08:08 AM

For some reason I find Thunderball a complete bore, i find it somewhat lame and cheap. Sorry, thats just my opinon. (And the ending is to quick and not very spectacular.

#5 Sanchez

Sanchez

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 February 2002 - 02:12 PM

"For your eyes only"(1981) is my personal favourite, good plot, action, locations & girls(well most of them, one used to be a guy). Great stunts too, especially Rick Sylvester's cliff fall. There's some pathos at the beginning too when Bond puts some flowers on Theresa's grave. And, there's not a gadget in sight!

#6 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 25 March 2002 - 06:31 PM

mrmoon (16 Feb, 2002 02:38 p.m.):
No offence to anyone but it would perhaps be better if we talked about Thunderball in the Thunderball thread. Just so if anyone checks it out it'll actually have our opinions on Thunderball.

erm, very succinctly put.

#7 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 16 February 2002 - 02:38 PM

No offence to anyone but it would perhaps be better if we talked about Thunderball in the Thunderball thread. Just so if anyone checks it out it'll actually have our opinions on Thunderball.

#8 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 16 February 2002 - 09:11 PM

I quite enjoyed T-Ball. I think it even improves Fleming's original with the inclusion of Fiona Volpe and Vargas. My major complaint is I often get bored, or if it's late fall asleep during the underwater stuff. I enjoyed the final battle though.

#9 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 25 March 2002 - 07:27 PM

Thunderball used to be my favourite. I went through a period where I watched it over and over again for a week because I liked it so much. I still like it now though, just not as much as I did. The best bits are the underwater fights. The score's quite good too.
Is there anyone who thinks that 'Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' should have been used as the title theme? If so which version do you prefer; Dionne Warwick or Shirley Bassey?

#10 ThomasCrown76

ThomasCrown76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 March 2002 - 06:20 PM

John Barry's score at the end is absolutely phenomenal. Only Connery could do the scene on the boat beating the **** out of all of those guys at once! Wow! Yeah, the rear projection stuff is lame, but it's still exciting with what else was going on. It also has a classic Bond opening with the jetpack and Bond beating up one of his stuntmen.

#11 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 16 February 2002 - 12:16 AM

Thunderball is my favourite connery movie