76 replies to this topic

#61 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

I suppose it's because I think of Max as being lots of wide open, empty spaces; and although that'd be good for depth it doesn't strike me as a hugely 3D-friendly experience (much like I can't get my head around these 3D showings of football matches in pubs: surely in long shot there's not much change in depth to a footy match?), but as you say there'll be more to it than just empty deserts.

#62 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

Well, you can be sure we'll also get the odd shot of a lizard darting out from behind a rock in 3D. B)

Oh, and I think one thing that's really cool about the new Mad Max film(s) is that they're shooting in Australia as opposed to California or Mexico or somewhere. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Australianness is a major, major part of these movies' character.

#63 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

The 3-D thing doesn't surprise me given that
a ) half the "franchise" pictures being made these days are in 3-D
b ) when this was going to be an anime it was going to be in 3-D, and I believe that was before the new wave of 3-D had even really taken off

And Spacehunter a Max wannabe? There were plenty of cheapie MM rip-offs in the 80s, but I wouldn't have said that was one of them. Wasn't it more of a Star Wars cash-in? Mind you, I've never seen it all the way through.

#64 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:03 PM

And Spacehunter a Max wannabe? There were plenty of cheapie MM rip-offs in the 80s, but I wouldn't have said that was one of them. Wasn't it more of a Star Wars cash-in? Mind you, I've never seen it all the way through.

I'm no great authority on SPACEHUNTER (alas), but - having seen it a couple of times as a child (including at the cinema, which was my only big screen experience of 3D prior to AVATAR) - I'm fairly certain that it was basically an attempt at a slightly more family-friendly MAD MAX 2 in 3D. I don't recall it having much to do with STAR WARS beyond the obvious, i.e. the spacehopping sci-fi backdrop.

#65 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:50 AM

Let's bring back The Gib! He certainly isn't lacking in "Mad" or "Fury" :

http://gawker.com/55...-are-now-online

#66 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

Let's bring back The Gib! He certainly isn't lacking in "Mad" or "Fury" :

http://gawker.com/55...-are-now-online

Sounds like there is serious question as to whether Mel can/will work again. Per USA Today, today's edition, his Jodie Forster film--originally scheduled for fall release--has been put on hold...and he's been dropped by his agent. I suppose many will be gloating, but I can't help but feel sorry for the anguish this man seems to be in.

#67 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:08 PM

I'm not gloating, and I'm certainly not going to burn my Mad Max/Lethal Weapon DVDs, but some of this seems pretty reprehensible to be honest. Mind you he did say some pretty nasty things back in the 90s, but he was bankable then....

#68 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:15 PM

Sounds like there is serious question as to whether Mel can/will work again.

I'm sure he can and will. After all, Chris Brown and Roman Polanski still have careers.

The question I'm baffled by is why he doesn't do LETHAL WEAPON 5 and MAD MAX: FURY ROAD and guarantee himself a pair of huge hits.

#69 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:24 PM

I'm sure he can and will. After all, Chris Brown and Roman Polanski still have careers.

Yep, he is just a prime time/Oprah special away from "redemption."

Too bad he didn't just ask Timothy Dalton about her beforehand...

#70 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:37 PM

I'm not gloating, and I'm certainly not going to burn my Mad Max/Lethal Weapon DVDs, but some of this seems pretty reprehensible to be honest.

Yes. I feel more for those who have suffered from Mel's outbursts than I do for Mel himself.

#71 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:04 PM

Yep, he is just a prime time/Oprah special away from "redemption."

Too bad he didn't just ask Timothy Dalton about her beforehand...

Well, that's one of the most enigmatic remarks I've come across. But pursuing the Mel/Tim connection, there's this:

Mel Gibson Insults Timothy Dalton's Son In Latest Rant
July 15th, 2010 2:36pm EDT 2 comments Add to My News Mel Gibson may have incurred the wrath of a former James Bond after taking aim at Timothy Dalton's son in the latest taped rant targeting the boy's mother.

Gibson's reputation has taken a severe lashing after the taped rages were leaked to website RadarOnline.com. On the tapes, a male voice which sounds distinctively like Gibson's can be heard hurling expletives and abuse at his ex-girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva. And, in the latest release, he turns on Grigorieva's skills as a mom to Dalton's 12-year-old son Alexander.

He rages, "Look at what you've done, look at your son, he's a [censored]ing mess, you [censored]ing excuse for a mother." Grigorieva, who can be heard on the tapes, insists she has no idea how the audio got leaked. She and Gibson are currently embroiled in a bitter custody battle over the couple's baby daughter Lucia.

Gibson's legal team has yet to make a public statement about the tapes, but the actor's attorneys insist the audio has been doctored.

#72 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:38 PM

Two sides to every story.

“It is starting to look more and more like a good old-fashioned shake down for money,” added Hollywood image consultant, Michael Sands. “We all know Mel is a childish name caller as those tapes have proved, but that’s very different to being a violent monster. Something just isn’t right here.”

Check this link out for the full story suggesting that all may not be as reported so far:

http://www.foxnews.c...on-expert-says/

#73 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:02 PM

What about the part on the tapes where she mentions the assault and Mel says "you deserved it"? I've no doubt she's not a paragon of moral virtue, but even if some doctoring has been going on the best thing Mel could possibly come out of this as is someone who is so drunk all the time he doesn't know what he's saying.

#74 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:54 PM

How dull life would be, if we were only allowed to enjoy the creative labours of those of whom we morally approved. Most pop stars and footballers are pretty dubious, sexually speaking, but we’re allowed to be fans of theirs. Nobody says Polanski doesn’t make good films, just because he’s a nonce. Damn it, no, I refuse to feel ashamed. I remain passionately keen on the work of Mel Gibson. I just wouldn’t have him in the house. Ghastly man.

From 'Mel Gibson may be a mad racist — but he’s a genius' by Hugo Rifkind, The Spectator.

#75 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:17 AM

I agree with the general principle, but "genius" is going a bit far non? Still everyone else gets called a genius these days, so I guess why not Mel?

#76 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:54 PM

Hasn't a certain Sir Sean occasionally shown himself to be the sort of chap one might not invite round to tea?

#77 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:29 PM

I think that with everything going on with him, these 2 movies would be a huge comeback for him. Too bad he isn't doing them, or any movie right now for that matter.