Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:59 AM

click to read ---> CBn's Main Page Story

#2 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 26 May 2004 - 10:47 AM

The DVD must be making some money. :)

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 11:16 AM

Quite interesting! I recently bought a few opies of publications of this book I didn't own, when I grabbed some more Bond books the other day.

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 03:41 PM

Very interesting. Of course, Eon produced Chitty so I wonder if this impacts them? This is good story to follow because it may reveal just how bad relations are between IFP and Eon/MGM. Seems the Fleming nieces have some new lawyers looking over the old contracts. I wonder if we will see some kind of lawsuit in the future regarding Bond?

Nice find Athena.

#5 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 04:58 PM

I saw Sly on the factor and he was saying MGM won't let him make Rocky VI...Now, I think he deserves a chance to redeem Rocky V; nobody wanted to see Rocky retire from Boxing in poverty. He seems really sincere in wanting to right the ship with that series and I'd actually like to see it happen. Comon MGM! Don't be such *&^%$#@! Bond and Rocky kept that joke alive the last 25 years... :)

#6 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 02:28 AM

I'm surprised they're not jumping up and down about these Ian Fleming books that Quinn Fawcett is writing.

Mustn't be much money in them. :)

#7 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 02:40 AM

Interesting news. First we have a new teen James Bond series of novels and next we have Ian Fleming Publications suing over the rights to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang telling MGM/UA that it can no longer profit from the film.

I wonder if IFP intends to have a series of novels based on Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, develop the property for other media, like computer games, or intends to sell the film rights to someone else and wishes to get MGM/UA out of the picture?

Or it could be that MGM/UA had to renew its rights to the property in 1992 according to its original deal with the Ian Fleming estate (IFP) to make the original film? Perhaps IFP was negligent in enforcing its copyright until now? Perhaps the new board its as amiable as the one headed by Peter Janson-Smith?

With a new board at IFP dominated by the banking side of the Fleming family, I wonder if there will be any changes with the film rights agreement with Eon Productions over James Bond? Does anyone know if the James Bond film rights purchased by Eon Productions had an expiration date?

#8 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:13 AM

Who gives a [censored]ty [censored]ty dang dang?

Just kidding. Had to say that! :)

#9 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 10:38 AM

Very interesting. Of course, Eon produced Chitty so I wonder if this impacts them? This is good story to follow because it may reveal just how bad relations are between IFP and Eon/MGM. Seems the Fleming nieces have some new lawyers looking over the old contracts. I wonder if we will see some kind of lawsuit in the future regarding Bond?

Nice find Athena.

Yes, good find. Much of interest (by interest I mean "while away the hours speculation", but hey...)

And I'd certainly agree there's substantial newbroomery going on here; Mr Benson out, a "paralysis" on continuing adult Bond, a "new direction" with Mr Higson, yet further reissues, and now this.

Looks like someone, somewhere, has taken IFP by the throat and has decided to get ruthless. Regardless of the output, this may prove a good thing because with the attitude taken towards marketing the continuation novels, the impression was of a certain complacency setting in. The "soft life" as some bloke once called it.

#10 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 29 May 2004 - 10:34 AM

Looks like someone, somewhere, has taken IFP by the throat and has decided to get ruthless.

Seems to describe bankers quite well, actually.

#11 quiller

quiller

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 359 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:46 AM

Looks like someone, somewhere, has taken IFP by the throat and has decided to get ruthless.

seem more like merchant bankers to me

#12 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 12:03 PM

seem more like merchant bankers to me

I believe Fleming was a merchant banker in his youth. :)

As for the points Jim makes in his latest post on this thread, it appears to me that:

THEN - IFP seemed like a couldn't-be-bothered cowboy outfit/Mafia front (or something), but at least commissioned (to colossal public indifference and unimpressive sales, it is true) continuation novels that many Bond fans wanted to read;

NOW - IFP seems like a go-getting, dog-eat-dogging, y'know, proper business that actually wants to make money, but no longer commissions (and doesn't seem about to commission) continuation novels that many Bond fans want to read.

If only they could combine the best bits of THEN (bringing out new novels that many Bond fans want to read) and NOW (being commercially astute and proactive).

#13 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:30 AM

I wonder if IFP intends to have a series of novels based on Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, develop the property for other media, like computer games, or intends to sell the film rights to someone else and wishes to get MGM/UA out of the picture?

You are prophetic indeed. Shame you're no longer with us Triton.