2 replies to this topic

#1 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 02:54 AM

Moonraker features a bit where Bond reads a description of the Inspectoscope, a seven thousand dollar, eight foot long, seven foot high, three ton device that requires two trained operators to use. It detects metal objects concealed beneath the clothing. It's too be used at airports.
Upon reading this, Bond decides to find a better place to hide his Beretta, other than under his armpit.
Ahh, security was so good back in the day. This is the kind of thing that really puts the stories in thei true context. This was the fifties.

Anything else like this people have noticed?

#2 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 01:40 PM

Quite interesting reading about the device. I found it interesting that they said the device was used to help detect diamond smuggling out of Africa. One wonders if this spurred Neal and/or Bobby to use the AFRICAN CONFLICT DIAMONDS in DAD.

In the same section I found it quite hilarious when talking about the Philopon that apparently that Japanese drug is likely to addict the user on the first shot just

#3 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 01:44 PM

Quite interesting reading about the device. I found it interesting that they said the device was used to help detect diamond smuggling out of Africa. One wonders if this spurred Neal and/or Bobby to use the AFRICAN CONFLICT DIAMONDS in DAD.

Nearly, but you just need to pronounce it [font="Impact"][color=yellow]AFRICAN CONFLICT DIAMONDS for the full effect.