18 replies to this topic

#1 Jazzy Bond

Jazzy Bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 07:03 PM

I bought a Nintendo 64 system with 4 to five games at a yard sale a couple fo weeks ago and was pleased to find Goldeneye as one of the games. I was stoked this was supposed to be a fantastic game I had heard so many great things about it. Then comes the time to play it and boy am i let down! I mean it's challenging it has good graphics for 1997. The reactions of the hoodswhen they are shot is well done. But that's about it! where is the variety of vehicles, gadgets. Where is the Bond feel I can't believe people are seriously saying this is better than EON. On what level??? Every level in GE is basically shoot 50 - 75 bad guys and accomplish a couple of tasks. Not nearly the variety of EON where you are in bikes, tanks , cars other cars and other bikes and helicoptors. There is an enjoyable tank sequence in GE where you can run over folks but that's it for vehicles . I mean for 1997 it was the bomb, I'm sure. It was probably one of the first FPS games butto say this isbetter than every Bond game that has followed is crazy. i have afeeling that the guys and gals on our forum who love it probably had it as one of their first games and like your first true love it's hard to have someone better come around. But get ober it guys, open your eyes and your heart to EON and even GE2. Like Q said in DAD "It's the future get used to it!"

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 07:08 PM

Whereas GoldenEye is indeed more shooting, and EoN seems to be more thinking, I think that's how they've developed the games since the beginning of the Bond games, so I can't blame GoldenEye for not being as complex a game as some of these past ones have been.

True, that it is more concentrated on shooting, but the game does it well, and is never boring, so I suppose it works.

#3 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 07:21 PM

I don't think you can look at GE and EON and compare them as games as a whole, because of course EON is going to have better graphics etc... it

#4 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 07:52 PM

Here's something to think about... The classic Nintendo 64 game marked an impressive pinnacle in first-person shooters on consoles.

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 07:58 PM

Here's something to think about... The classic Nintendo 64 game marked an impressive pinnacle in first-person shooters on consoles.

You got it Athena, yes it seems that finally with EoN, we've found a game that can be said to be better or on par with GoldenEye, but there's something about this first game. It never seems to get old.

#6 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 08:03 PM

goldeneye was good for what it was at the time but technology has grown so much that now goldeneye now pales to the newer games and thats just like anything else today...like time technology marches on

#7 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 09:53 PM

Comparing GoldenEye to EoN like that is like blasting Goldfinger's special fx because Die Another Day's are so much better. EoN might be a more advanced game, but it will never be a better game in my opinion because it's not nearly as advanced for its time as GoldenEye was.

#8 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 10:32 PM

I believe Goldeneye was a great game for it's time, but should be respected as a classic in video game fame.

The newest Bond titles have much more to offer in terms of graphics, sound, etc. Everything Or Nothing features many changes, including a third pesron perspective, vehicles and hollywood cast voice acting, but the multiplayer was a flop, they took out the 'jump' button, there were fewer weapons, and the 'lock on' system was a little complex. I'm still wondering today if Everything or Nothing was a flop in itself.

My personal favourite was Nightfire, because it stuck closely to the Goldeneye tradition and offered better graphics and sound. They also stuck closely to the 007 tradition, unlike Everything Or Nothing.

#9 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 01:18 AM

Comparing GoldenEye to EoN like that is like blasting Goldfinger's special fx because Die Another Day's are so much better.

Goldfinger's special effects are better than the special effects in Die Another Day. :)

#10 Bizzare8

Bizzare8

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 02:40 AM

I think that the best part of Goldeneye was the multiplayer. Even with the better graphics, sound and weapons of the newer games you just don't get the same feel as Goldeneye. Perfect Dark was the only game that came close and in some aspects surpassed.
The multiplayer levels of GE are much larger than the ones I remember from Nightfire. As well I think the basic controls has alot to do with it.

#11 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 02:50 AM

Yep, yep, yep. Blah,blah,blah. Goldeneye was good at its time...

All I hear is this!

Goldenye still holds up then and now! And I totally agree with Athena's analogy on the difference between EON and GE, and its timespan! When I play EON, yes it's a great game, but didn't make much of an impact on me. (it feels like Splinter Cell, which is a better game). Goldeneye did, and I still play it! It revolutionized the gaming industry and paved way for future games to come.

Like Jim Rome...MY WORD IS OUT!

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 02:52 AM

I think that the best part of Goldeneye was the multiplayer. Even with the better graphics, sound and weapons of the newer games you just don't get the same feel as Goldeneye. Perfect Dark was the only game that came close and in some aspects surpassed.
The multiplayer levels of GE are much larger than the ones I remember from Nightfire. As well I think the basic controls has alot to do with it.

I don't think a Bond game has surpassed GoldenEye 64. EoN may be on par with it I suppose, but there is something about this game.

The multiplayer, as simple as it is, is indeed rather fun, Bizarre8. I still pop it in sometimes to play one of the missions, and had quite fun discovering the "Citadel" level when that was annouced.

Perfect Dark enhanced that aspect, but there's nothing like the original.

#13 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 02:56 AM

Goldeneye's mulitplayer was obvious to the success...

Other Bond games had good multiplayers as well; TWINE on the N64 was solid, as well as Nightfire. But I didn't really appreciate the EON cooperative mode that much...

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 02:57 AM

The World is not Enough's was fair, and the AI bots are good fun, but it lacked the spark of GoldenEye's.

#15 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 03:10 AM

Comparing GoldenEye to EoN like that is like blasting Goldfinger's special fx because Die Another Day's are so much better. EoN might be a more advanced game, but it will never be a better game in my opinion because it's not nearly as advanced for its time as GoldenEye was.

Quite.

EoN is evolutionary, GoldenEye was revolutionary.

#16 James bond Agent OO7

James bond Agent OO7

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:17 PM

I agree with Freemo. Goldeneye was revolutionary for it's time and to this day no other bond game, in my opinion has been as reolutionary as Goldeneye. Everything or Nothing is a good game and I enjoyed it very much, it is very evolutionary for the Bond gaming franchise. I am hoping that the new Goldeneye: Rouge Agent will be a revolutionary game and that it will live up to the goldeneye name. I may be setting my sights a little too high though.

#17 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:22 PM

Personally, I find it hard to leap back to Goldeneye after playing games that are more up-to-date, like NF, EoN, etc. I remember and admire Goldeneye, but feel I should move on to newer things.

#18 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 07:54 PM

Personally, I find it hard to leap back to Goldeneye after playing games that are more up-to-date, like NF, EoN, etc. I remember and admire Goldeneye, but feel I should move on to newer things.

Well yes, since these newer games are much more advanced graphic wise, but as pointed out before, can't compare them for that alone. I think it's pretty fun to play these newer games and then go back to play GoldenEye a bit again.

#19 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 08:03 AM

GoldenEye was voted the best game of all time. So it's kinda argue with that. Jazzy, there is no way I can expect you to know just how could this game was (is), as you have seen and experienced what is available in games today.

Back in old '97, this game was THE pinnacle of gaming technology. It had everything. We marvelled at the bullet holes in walls, the ability to hop in and out of tanks, the way St. Petersburg and oh so many levels look as they did in the film. But, crowning the king was the unbelievable mulit-player. This feature alone was the main staple of hundreds of sleep-overs and get-togethers, the friend on rainy days and hot discussion at school.

We had no idea what the future could bring, but oh so many things have happened since GE's release, but the nostalgia for a truly pioneering game still lasts. It's like dissing the original stone wheel, and comparing it to today