18 replies to this topic

#1 MI-6 Director

MI-6 Director

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 10:32 PM

Anybody think a Bond game would work as an epic role playing game? With the game structure similar to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic?

#2 SeaNNy-T.

SeaNNy-T.

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 10:47 PM

no that doesnt sound cool i hate RPGs, but its your own feelings so like what you want, it will never be cool though for bond to be an rpg.

#3 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 10:51 PM

Bryce was born out of role playing game systems - Top Secret to be exact.

I always thought - and did participate in - the Victory Games system in the early 80's that it was the best Bond game around.

Having gamed with experienced D&D players, we simply eliminated the whole "bidding system" of role-playing (turned the damn game into bridge or poker) but we did keep it on a similar timeline with the films. During the hiatus (for lack of a better word) 89-95 some of our gaming adventures certainly filled the void. Many of the events depicted in "True Lies" made us all wonder if our gaming sessions were bugged by James Cameron.

No...Really.

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 11:11 PM

I would be interested to maybe see something resembling one tried out with the fans to see the response to it, I'd try it out.

#5 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 12:04 AM

Oddly enough... I used to be involved in a Bond RPG. And I had a blast!!!! :) We had a LOT of characters. My main girl was

#6 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 02:49 AM

I would rather have the first or third person shooter/adventure game rather than the RPG. What other character would people want to play other than James Bond?

#7 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 06:17 PM

Easy. My own prefix, 008 :)

#8 James Swallow

James Swallow

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 08:14 PM

I always thought - and did participate in - the Victory Games system in the early 80's that it was the best Bond game around.

Hear, hear! I ran the 007 role playing game on and off in the 1990s, and while the rules were a bit clunky, we got into the spirit of it and much fun was had. I especially loved the marvelous handouts that came with the boxed scenarios, although the rehashes of the movies as game plots always struck me as a bit lame.

I remember speaking about the 007 rpg to one of Eon's marketing people just before TND came out, and he seemed interested in the idea of re-launching the licence, but I guess without an interested company with the time (and money) to take it on, we're not likely to see a Bond game outside of software form any time soon...

#9 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 02:43 AM

I'm surprised that no one has been interested in relaunching the pen and paper James Bon role playing game. Is Eon or MGM/UA asking too much in licensing? Does Ian Fleming Publication and the Fleming estate need to get involved?

We've had other companies pick up the pen and paper role-playing licenses for Star Trek, Star Wars, and The Lord of the Rings. I'm surprise we haven't seen Bond again.

#10 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 03:01 PM

You guys do realise that he's talking about a COMPUTER RPG game right?

As to that, absolutely not. Can't stand them. Tried playing a few of the Final Fantasy's and just got bored out of my mind after 5 minutes. Too much aimlessly wondering around trying to find stuff. It just doesn't work for Bond. Bond games should always be shooters, be it 1st or 3rd Person.

#11 MI-6 Director

MI-6 Director

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:49 PM

Until this thread I didn't know about Bond pen & paper RPG's. They've expanded my knowledge. :)

#12 00Kevin

00Kevin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 01:34 PM

I think a game in the style of Dues Ex: Invisible War would be awesome. It would have to be uped in action though.

I think a bond game that is mostly action, but some RPG type levels would be more like a bond movie then any game befor it. It would be awesome to walk around a level that had a bunch of civilains, you could walk around, talk to people, do mini missions and objectives (like the party in 'the exchange' from NF, only more options). It would be cool to see a bar setting, or a party or something.

#13 LeChiffre1

LeChiffre1

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:33 AM

New here to the site, gents, but this particular thread caught my eye, as I was looking form something of this sort, and stumbled across CBN!

What does everyone think of a Message Board based RPG, I've participated in several Star Wars type games, even a Superhero based one, and most recently a mafia based game.

Using the Bond universe as a base, we could have several people creating their own characters and such for various countries, terrorist groups, etc. I'd be willing to lend a hand in running one, as I have experience in RPG administration, but I just need the support!

#14 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:38 PM

We did have a thread where something like that went on... it was fun.

It's in the CBn Forum Games area -> http://debrief.comma...showtopic=11234

#15 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:53 AM

Ah yes....That was a time.

I recall writing a good bit in that where Bryce runs into Sir Miles at the event.

I loved the RPG days. Computers have eliminated a good bit of the nights of endless cans of Coca-Cola, cigarette haze and ten sided dice rolling across the table.

Good times. :cooltongue:

*shudders* Dear Lord...It's been nearly 22 years since John Bryce became "003" - Royal Navy, SAS/SBS, NSA. *ponders*...

I've played Bryce since 1978.

*shakes head*

At least I'm still alive.

#16 RTGarcia

RTGarcia

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:13 AM

I do recall back in the late 80s and early 90s, in the format of Dungon and Dragons, there was a James Bond rollplaying game.
I did own the game and all of the books. It very much entertaining. Then this was way before the invasion of the playstation, nintendo, and x-box video games.
I do wish they had made into a computer game like CSI games.
I did enjoy creating my own charactor and being the "M" of a game and selecting the missions and of course directing how the game was suppose to flow.
You would use similar dices like other RPG games of the times.

#17 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

I do recall back in the late 80s and early 90s, in the format of Dungon and Dragons, there was a James Bond rollplaying game.
I did own the game and all of the books. It very much entertaining. Then this was way before the invasion of the playstation, nintendo, and x-box video games.
I do wish they had made into a computer game like CSI games.
I did enjoy creating my own charactor and being the "M" of a game and selecting the missions and of course directing how the game was suppose to flow.
You would use similar dices like other RPG games of the times.

I also owned the pen and paper Bond RPG and many of the supplements (the Q branch supplement being my favorite) and would dearly love to see a computerized version. Indeed, that might be the one thing that would drag me out of retirement from computer games (the last game I was strongly into was from the Marathon series by Bungie).

#18 chris-o

chris-o

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 308 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 05:22 PM

I don't know, I mean KOTOR takes place in the Star Wars universe and it's much bigger than the Bond world. Maybe it would be online better.

#19 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:28 AM

I don't know, I mean KOTOR takes place in the Star Wars universe and it's much bigger than the Bond world. Maybe it would be online better.

Well a Deus Ex-like Bond game would be kind of cool. That's an FPS, but it's also an RPG. Without a doubt one of the best games of all time. A KOTOR-style game just doesn't sound like it would work for Bond. I don't know... Mass Effect looks awesome though. That's the next RPG by Bioware (developer of KOTOR). I guess Bond could do something similar. It all depends on how they'd attack it.