38 replies to this topic

#31 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 06:28 PM

The films you mention Mr. Asterix are the chick flick versions of LOTR and Spiderman, so there. :)

And it is only during the summer when the top ten films all clear over ten million in a weekend.

-- X

#32 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 06:30 PM

A $25 million dollar opening weekend is nothing like a LOTR or a Spiderman. Chick flick or not.

#33 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 06:38 PM

I wonder if LAWS OF ATTRACTION's disappointing performance is the reason Brosnan has abruptly stopped griping about Bond. Perhaps he's desperate to don the tux again.

#34 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 07:13 PM

That could be, Loomis.

#35 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 08:45 PM

I wonder if LAWS OF ATTRACTION's disappointing performance is the reason Brosnan has abruptly stopped griping about Bond. Perhaps he's desperate to don the tux again.

But Brosnan stopped commenting on Bond before the film even opened.

#36 Bond Bug

Bond Bug

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 10:26 PM

Good article Zencat

Yes on a British show Brosnan clearly wasn't talking Bond either

Really? Which show? Maybe I can work that into the article.

I can't find it on the net, he was asked about who he thought would be a good Bond actor after his 5th Bond, but didn't try to correct them and say he wasn't making a 5th.

But I hope this helps!

http://www.ananova.c...ent.celebrities

Farrell not right for Bond, says Brosnan

Colin Farrell would not be right for the part of James Bond according to Pierce Brosnan.

Bond producers are said to be looking for a new leading man and Farrell, X-Men star Hugh Jackman, Orlando Bloom and Ewan McGregor have all been tipped for the part.

But Brosnan, 50, who played Bond in the last four films, said that Farrell was not right for the part of 007.

Brosnan said: "I think he's a great actor but I don't think he's right for Bond.

"Some of the names that will be top of my list are Clive Owen, who's a fine actor, and Hugh Jackman, who is also a very fine actor," he said.

He added: "I was trained and led to believe that I could do anything and I've been pigeon holed.

"It's time in my life to step outside the box."

Edited by Bond Bug, 03 May 2004 - 10:32 PM.

#37 Xenia's Ferrari

Xenia's Ferrari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 02:06 AM

But Brosnan stopped commenting on Bond before the film even opened.

that is right. in the u.s. as i see on cbn Laws of Attraction opens at #4. is that not a good opening?

#38 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 02:14 AM

I think opening at number four for a small romantic comedy is just fine!

-- Xenobia

#39 Jmart007

Jmart007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 04:26 AM

I think opening at number four for a small romantic comedy is just fine!

-- Xenobia

I do too. In fact, I am surprised by the opening it had. I think it overwhelming overachieved. I say this because the film itself got some godawful reviews. I have still yet to see one positive review of the film. And seeing the competition it had this week, I still think it held it's own ground. Here is some of that competition.

#1. Mean Girls (Teen Girl crowd/SNL Crowd)
#2. Man on Fire (Action film crowd)
#3. 13 Going on 30 (Once again the Teen Girl crowd)
#4. Godsend (DeNiro! Do I have to say more?)
#6. Envy (Jack Black, Ben Stiller, Christopher Walken, Barry Levinson. A lot of variety there= A lot of potential viewers, although it got awful reviews and tanked at the Box Office)
#7. Kill Bill: Vol 2. (The Tarantino Crowd/Action film crowd)

* Those films finished in that order, with Laws of Attraction actually finishing 5th not 4th, according to Yahoo.com and Box Office Mojo.com.

Anyways, for the film to open up #5, and making just about $7 million, against that competition, is not bad at all. However, I think after this week the film will vanish pretty quickly. If the film makes $30 million, I think the producers of the film should be pretty happy.

Edited by Jmart007, 04 May 2004 - 04:28 AM.