7 replies to this topic

#1 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 07:21 PM

Can someone explain to me what War Head was? I know it was going to be another film with Timothy Dalton in it, but that's all, can anyone tell me more?

#2 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 04:38 PM

Thanks Zencat! Now I know. :)

#3 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 07:15 PM

I recall seeing somewhere that it was to star Connery & Dalton. But I doubt that would have ever happened.

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 15 September 2001 - 02:19 AM

zencat (14 Sep, 2001 05:06 p.m.):
Wasn't there supposed to be a book about the ENTIRE McClory saga from Fleming right up to Sony? Seems to me I heard this was in the works around TWINE time. What happened?

I'm not sure Zencat. If McClory was helping with it someway, I'm sure it's scrapped now!

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 10:54 AM

I think you summed it up perfectly Zencat. I think the only thing that McClory didn't attach Warhead to was his James Bond TV series!

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 10:53 AM

I think you summed it up perfectly Zencat. I think the only thing that McClory didn't attach Warhead to was his James Bond TV series!

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 08:15 PM

Dave (13 Sep, 2001 08:21 p.m.):
Can someone explain to me what War Head was? I know it was going to be another film with Timothy Dalton in it, but that's all, can anyone tell me more?

I don't think it was ever a legit film. I'll try to explain the history. I'm sure someone can add to this.

Kevin McClory's first attempt to make a rouge Bond film was in 1976 when he wrote a script w/ Len Deighton and Sean Connery called "JAMES BOND IN THE SECRET SERVICE." It was a loose remake of Thunderball and featured then oft-mentioned Statue of Liberty climax and robot sharks. By 1978, the title of the script was changed to "WARHEAD." WARHEAD and JAMES BOND OF THE SECRET SERVICE are the exact same script.

in 1982 Lorenzo Semple, Jr. substantially re-wrote WARHEAD into what eventaully became NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN. Most "first drafts" of NSNA are the old WARHEAD script. After NSNA, McClory started saying he was going to make a James Bond series and the next film would be called S.P.E.C.T.R.E.

Of course, nothing happened.

In 1990 McClory reappeared like a bad case of herpes and announced Pierce Brosnan would star in his Bond film, now called "ATOMIC WARHEAD." When PB became Bond, McClory started saying Tim Dalton was going to star in "WARHEAD 2000 A.D." I don't believe there was ever a legitimate WARHEAD movie with either actor.

So, in short, "WARHEAD" was a script written in 1976 which eventually became NSNA. Ever after it was simply a title that McClory attached to all his delusional ideas.

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 04:06 PM

Right. I'm impressed you remember this Blue Eyes. That was one of McClory's lesser-known exploits.

Wasn't there supposed to be a book about the ENTIRE McClory saga from Fleming right up to Sony? Seems to me I heard this was in the works around TWINE time. What happened?