PDFs?

15 replies to this topic

#1 DJ Rin

DJ Rin

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 10:55 PM

I'm dying to read the fan fiction stories on this site but i have one question... what do you do once the Adobe Acrobat reader is done downloading??? Any help would be great

#2 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 01:13 AM

Wow, it's been a while since I've actually downloaded anything except the upgrades, but I'll give it a go. Someone correct me if my memory fails me.

If I remember right, after you've downloaded the the file you simply run the installation program file that you've downloaded. Acrobat Reader should expand itself (or download more if needed) and create a folder for the Acrobat Reader Program. It may ask you how you want to handle PDF files that you download; whether you want the PDF files to Download to disk or to load in a browser window. I would choose to open the file in a browser window because you can always right click the PDF link and choose 'Save Target As...' to save the PDF to your harddrive. After it's installed you should be able to read the fan fic in either a browser window or download it and read it offline.

Okay, I was pretty vague, but hopefully that will at least get you started. Let me know if you have any more question.

#3 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 11:24 PM

Just wondered if Mr* could update me on the printing pdfs he spoke of a while ago. I'd like to get several of the fan-fictions printed and bound in book form. Prob very expensive but for quality work well worth it, especially with nice snazzy cover by Mr*. It would be nice tio have them on my shelf next to the official releases.
Any news?

Hawk

#4 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 11:32 PM

You know if you go to... http://www.cafepress.com and sign up for a shop (a free shop will work), one of the items which they offer is pdf into a book printing. Check it out. :)

#5 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 11:43 PM

Why thank you. I'll check it out. :)

#6 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 02:13 AM

Sorry Hawk, I

#7 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 02:43 AM

Oh really. Hum. Well, I've never had them print any fan fic, so that shows what I know :)

#8 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 01:30 PM

I was really interested in doing this aswell. The more and more excellent fan fiction I read. the more i want to print them out, bind them and stick them with my novels.
I really wanted to do this with From Death's Door when I was reading it but I didn't have a clue how to print it correctly and bind it.

Is it true that you are working on a guide for it Mr. *?
Also, to make them even better, will we be able to download full covers with a back and spine?

#9 scaramanga1

scaramanga1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 02:36 PM

Really it is going to be necessary to get a whole book typesetting program. The pdf's may have to be somehow converted back to say word document format before this can begin -and then once they have typeset in the proper size and format it will be easy to print them off crop the pages and get them bound. Most universities and colleges have binding facilities. Then its just a case of making book covers into dust jackets. :)

Here is a dust jacket template that may help.

http://www.cs.uiowa..../book/dust.html

#10 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 07:21 PM

Ok so cafe press is out then. Oh well. Thanx for replay Mr*, i'll mention it again further down the line. I think i remember a post where you said you'd done full covers for all the cBn fanfic, am i right?

Scaramanga, cheers for DustJacket download. I'm at Uni for 2 more years so i'll be sure to make good use of any binding facilities they have - we have a very helpful creative writing department and library here so i'll tap them for stuff when the time comes.

Hawkeye

#11 scaramanga1

scaramanga1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 04:30 PM

Scaramanga, cheers for DustJacket download. I'm at Uni for 2 more years so i'll be sure to make good use of any binding facilities they have - we have a very helpful creative writing department and library here so i'll tap them for stuff when the time comes.

Hawkeye

My pleasure Hawkeye -it is good to get fanfiction bound properly. :)

#12 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 09:36 PM

Ok I know this is about printing PDF's but how does one even MAKE a PDF? I'm looking to print some things through cafepress and have no idea how to make a PDF. ThanXXX. :)

#13 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 04:32 AM

At the risk of egomania being apparent, if one of the books you would like is Heaven Isn't Too Far Away, let me know.

I might be able to help you out.

-- Xenobia

#14 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 09:06 AM

Heaven Isn't Too Far Away, From Death's Door and Mightier Than The Sword (perhaps in a better edited version) are all top of my list to be printed and bound.

#15 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 08:09 PM

Indeed, all of the above are on my list, as is JIMS when it's complete. I wouldn't mind Ross Sidors too, but i'd like to design a Fahey style jacket for them 2, just cos they are set in Amis era and it would look nice next to my new flemings. Not that i don't like Mr*s jackets of course.

Hawk

#16 scaramanga1

scaramanga1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 05:18 PM

Ok I know this is about printing PDF's but how does one even MAKE a PDF? I'm looking to print some things through cafepress and have no idea how to make a PDF. ThanXXX. :)

To convert your documents goto:

http://www.pdf995.com

Its what I use -and if you have adobe acrobat reader -you will see your documents exactly how you want them to be. :)

The program that you download adds a "PDF Printer" so to convert say a word document -you put the pdf-"printer" as your default printer -then go back to your word document a click print. Instead of a hardcopy coming out of your printer you get your pdf on the screen - it's as simple as that!

Remember though after you have converted your documents to set your original printer to default again. Or otherwise you will make more pdf's instead of printing off the document you want.

Hope that makes sense. Good luck.

Sc1