14 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 06:45 PM

Today we launch a new main page feature, the CBn CLASSIC, reviving past stories that deserve a second look. There's some real gems hidden in our archives, and we start with what has always been one of my favorites; Ross Sidor's look at John Gardner's The Man From Barbarossa.

So click and enjoy this first CBn CLASSIC: A Failed Experiment? The Man From Barbarossa by Ross Sidor.

Also, tell us what you think of this idea...or maybe even suggest a future "classic." :)

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 08:49 PM

I have read this article before, many thanks for bringing it back around!

I try so hard to love this novel, I've read it many times, but this is the one I just don't like much. I only wish I did more, and I read it again once after reading this article, but I'll just say The Man From Barbarossa is my least favorite.

Terrific article and interesting points, but I just can't say this one is memorable to me.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 08:51 PM

I have a VERY hard time with this book as well, Qwerty, which is why I so appreciate this article, it's helps the reader see it in the correct light.

But I still can't enjoy it. The book, not the article.

#4 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 09:12 PM

I've never read "Barbarossa", but from Sidor's article it sounds a fascinating, original and complex piece of work.

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 09:13 PM

I've never read "Barbarossa", but from Sidor's article it sounds a fascinating, original and complex piece of work.

Loomis, I think the best way to approach it is, not expecting it to be the normal Bond novel you're used to.

#6 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 09:19 PM

Well, to be honest I don't really have any firm preconceptions of what "a normal Bond novel" ought to be. I mean, I don't consider "The Spy Who Loved Me" a failed experiment, or "The Man With the Golden Gun" a turkey. I think "Colonel Sun" is better than some of the Flemings, and I greatly enjoy the likes of "Licence Renewed" and "For Special Services", even though Gardner's Bond and Bond universe bear very little resemblance to Fleming's (not too keen on what I've read of late-period Gardner, though); and, while Benson's writing style is very, very different to those of Fleming, Amis and Gardner (although he's much more faithful to Fleming's Bond and Bond universe than Gardner), I enjoy most of his books, too.

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 09:21 PM

Perhaps I should have worded that better, I must agree.

This is my opinion, but I think of this novel as the most different when compared to the other fifteen Bond novels by Gardner.

I do recommend it to all, it's a fine novel, but certain, actually a lot of it for me, is just....not enjoyable.

#8 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 01:04 AM

I remember doing a report on this book earlier in the year. It seemed like more of a Bond book you would read in class.

I think if I hadn't been so rushed in reading this one, I may have enjoyed it more. I certainly don't hate this book, but this isn't one I plan on re-reading many times over in the future.

#9 James Boldman

James Boldman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 08:24 AM

A nice article. It's interesting that most Bond Fan's find this a hard novel to get through, as the actual novel is John Gardner's favourite and the novel which he thinks has the best plot (out of his novels). I have never read it myself but I know what happens. Seemed like an interesting experiment but I would say a failed one, in the eyes of most Bond Fans. :)

#10 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 06:04 PM

A very nice article, I might give the book another shot at some point. :)

#11 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 07:51 PM

Interesting article, really!!
But it doesn't change my mind! I don't like this book at all!! So boring!!

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 07:53 PM

Interesting article, really!!
But it doesn't change my mind! I don't like this book at all!! So boring!!

I am able to accept changing and switching of some elements around, and I think the article is correct in that it might have been different if it wasn't a Bond novel, but it is.

One gripe I have the is sorely missed action scenes, a few more would have been nice I think.

#13 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 11:38 PM

Does anyone know if Ross Sidor is doing any more bond Fan Fics? DTS & TMFV are meant to be coming to CBn soon. I just wondered if he'd got some more in the works. According to info on MI6 he appears to have done a fleming in writing them - about 2 months per novel.

Hawk

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 01:20 AM

Does anyone know if Ross Sidor is doing any more bond Fan Fics? DTS & TMFV are meant to be coming to CBn soon. I just wondered if he'd got some more in the works. According to info on MI6 he appears to have done a fleming in writing them - about 2 months per novel.

Hawk

I haven't seen Rossman on CBn for a long time.

#15 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 07:29 PM

I actually bought this book (The Man from Barbarossa ) today...I'm waiting till it arrives...hope it's good and fun to read! :) :)