11 replies to this topic

#1 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 02:48 PM

I haven't read any of the Gardner novels yet (besides the GoldenEye novelization) and I was wondering if there is any continuity from these novels in the Benson books. By continuity, I mean it in the same way that there is continuity between the Fleming Novels and Benson's, rather it be in the form of characters, or flashbacks to previous missions.

#2 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 02:54 PM

I haven't read any of the Gardner novels yet (besides the GoldenEye novelization) and I was wondering if there is any continuity from these novels in the Benson books. By continuity, I mean it in the same way that there is continuity between the Fleming Novels and Benson's, rather it be in the form of characters, or flashbacks to previous missions.

Pretty much nothing- except, ironically enough given that GoldenEye is your only Gardner - the female M; but one can hardly chalk that invention up to either Mr Gardner or Mr Benson.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything Mr Benson retained.

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 03:29 PM

Benson mentions a few things of Gardner

#4 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 03:40 PM

[quote name='Mister Asterix' date='14 April 2004 - 15:29'] Benson mentions a few things of Gardner

#5 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 03:54 AM

Yeah, Benson totally dismisses Cedar Leiter & Q'ute, who takes over Major Boothroyd's job. With Benson, Boothroyd is back in harness.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 04:07 AM

I asked Benson about this in our interview (Part I), in relation to ALL the continuation novels, not just Gardner. Here's what he said:

Benson: Fans have to realize that every author's oeuvre of Bond novels should be taken as a whole and separate from other authors'-- with the exception that Fleming's original books are the groundwork, the basis for the Universe. That original Universe is free to plunder, and that includes characters Fleming created. A writer of Star Trek or Star Wars would do the same thing. I didn

#7 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 03:49 PM

I just got two James Bond novels: The Facts of Death by Raymond Benson and The Man from Barbarossa of John Gardner .

and here it is the portuguese version of the covers:

Attached Files

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 03:51 PM

Cool. Thanks for the pic. I love seeing covers that I haven't seen before.

#9 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 04:47 PM

Fredericka von Grusse, Harriet Horner and Easy St John are mentioned in "Zero Minus Ten", as Bond looks back on his past loves. Weren't they all Gardner creations? (I don't know, since I've not read much Gardner.)

Nice of Benson to acknowledge Gardner's work in this way. He didn't have to. He might just as easily have concentrated solely on the Vesper Lynds and Kissy Suzukis.

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 06:59 PM

Fredericka von Grusse, Harriet Horner and Easy St John are mentioned in "Zero Minus Ten", as Bond looks back on his past loves. Weren't they all Gardner creations? (I don't know, since I've not read much Gardner.)

I'll have to look for these mentionings again when I read Zero Minus Ten, and yes they were of Gardner's creation.

#11 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 07:02 PM

They're near the beginning of chapter 15, "Day Trip to China".

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 07:05 PM

Cool, will remember that hopefully when I read that book again. Thanks.