Where it actually has been the same character but as a kid

Smallville - (TV Show + also books) [at school]
SuperBoy - Also was (comics and tv) [at school]
Young Indiana Jones (tv) [not sure]
Mupper Babies (tv) [pre school]
Young Sherlock Holmes (film) [at school]
Hercules - (Disney tv spin off) [at school]
Star Wars Episodes i ii and iii (film) [Darth Vader as a Kid / in schoolish]

It seems to me that Superman, Sherlock Holmes, Indiana Jones and Darth Vader are pretty major cultural characters that have had the 'imagine they were a kid' treatment. I guess the same could be said of the Muppets. And although Disney's Hercules may not be a classic certainly the guy himself is one of the most enduring heros of all time.

I think there may have been a 'Young Tarzan' ? [yet another heroic cultural icon].
No real evidence Batman got up to anything in his youth - training by all accounts.
No tales of the young Dracula that I know of

So are there anymore for anymore?
[oh and I guess the above shows that rather than be original this is par for the course for a character like Bond - and rather than be shocked at the news I guess we should be shocked it never happened before - although it did]

#2 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 11:00 PM

The young Tarzan seems to be different from the others "heros" of the list above. Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote his first Tarzan novel telling yet the story of the young Tarzan. And later he wrotes short stories about Tarzan's youth.

#3 Civilian_007 Samurai_*

Civilian_007 Samurai_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2004 - 11:04 PM

replying to my own message - what ever next?

but just remembered

A Pup Named Scooby-Doo
+
Filnstone Kids

It has to be said two more cultural giants - but then I think that perhaps the difference between many of these is that the original target age group was still quite young.

#4 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 11:31 PM

Flintstone Kids got it wrong though because it showed Fred as having Dino since he was a kid. In one of the early episodes of the Flintstones they actually find Dino whilst they are out camping in the wilderness. Ok, so he's blue and talks but it's still the same character. That always confused me when I was a kid.

#5 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 11:57 PM

Wasn

#6 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:53 AM

Mupper Babies (tv) [pre school]

I don't think Fleming can compare in greatness to that show :)

Just for fun: :) :) :) :)

#7 Coop

Coop

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 03:51 PM

Captain WE Johns wrote two books that showed Biggles as a schoolboy and a kid in India.

There was also a TV serial called Young Sherlock which pre-dated the Spielberg-produced film by about four years.

Both are quite good. But Higson's books probably won't be :)

#8 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 04:58 PM

And there is also a cartoon series "Jungle Book Kids". Never actually seen it (but thatt's kind of thing you get to know when you produce a TV guide), so don't ask me how they manage to get Mowgli involved, as he actually is a kid in the original "Jungle Book". And there's the other series of which I don't know the original title, in which some of the Jungle Book characters seem to play different roles.

Not that the old Disney movie isn't already some kind of "Jungle Book Kids" thing already, compared to the books. Don't get me wrong, I really love that movie, but I prefer reading the original Kipling ever since I did that for the first time.