A good argument always livens things up

#62 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 06:28 PM

5 more posts for you until you're an agent...and then you can have your own Max Smart survival shoe!:)

#63 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 06:33 PM

Hey, Carver, you started this topic, where are you at? I hope you've got some entertainment over the last half hour or so.

#64 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 06:36 PM

You just want Carver to back you up. I had a row with him the other day.

#65 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 06:39 PM

Not at all. You can have at me today, tomorrow, and day after that. Until I have to go to work (yes, I have a job AND a life).

#66 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 06:41 PM

Alright, alright. Keep your hair on

#67 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 06:43 PM

Bondpurist, you made it!! You're an agent now! How does it feel? What are you going to do next?!

#68 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 06:45 PM

Have a wild, wild guess.

#69 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 06:46 PM

Not even a trip to Disneyland? How about a sticker book of happy faces to cheer you up!:)

#70 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 08:45 PM

Originally posted by IrishCrown
Hey, Carver, you started this topic, where are you at?  I hope you've got some entertainment over the last half hour or so.

I'm here, just can't keep up with all the slanging matches going on all the time. Just don't try and drag me back into it again:rolleyes:. I really, really appreciate you sticking up for me IC, its nice to know that someone out there agrees with me. If I had been on here earlier, I would have stuck up for you aswell mate, but then, BP would stick his oar in:rolleyes:. Hmmm, last time I checked, this thread had 1 page, and now there's three of 'em! I wonder who BP will agrue with next?:)

#71 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 01:46 PM

Good to see you back on the boards, Carver. A big hello out to Bondpurist (I spelled your name right, please give me the same consideration).

#72 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 03:03 PM

I really can't understand why you people think Tim was a wimp. He was the only Bond ever to headbutt anyone, and threw a hell of a lot of mean punches in LTK, especially in the bar scene with Pam, and he takes out the guards in his meeting with M pretty damn well. He is a tall, strong man. When he takes his top off in LTK and is confronted by Sanchez and then Lupe you can actually see he has quite impressive muscles. You can make criticisms of Tim galore but I think the whole wimp thing is a little bit sour. From when he headbutts Dario until when he sets Sanchez alight in LTK he takes a LOT of punishment, but comes out pretty well. He was a pretty hard man, and if you're going to call hima wimp at least come up with some creditable evidence.

#73 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 03:07 PM

He turned Bond into a one-woman man in The Living Daylights. Fleming would have **** bricks. Fleming was definitely not a one-woman man. I still believe Necros was throwing him around like a rag doll in the back of the plane. The little girly punches he threw on the net were groan-inducing. What happened to the Bond who smacked the women around? Dalton tried it once to his credit in LTK, and looked out of place. Dalton was better suited in a part as a thug or a villain's henchman, something along the lines of what he did in The Rocketeer.

#74 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 03:12 PM

1) Bond was almost always a one woman man in the books.
2) Necros had the element of surprise. Dalton didn't know he was there. All he did was try and strangle him with a rope. He isn't superman you know - he is only human.
3) He did not throw girly punches. He almost punched Necros off the net for godsakes. I wouldn't want to be on the end of that punch, not unless I wanted a facial reconstruction.
4)And yes, as you pointed out, he got pretty damn mean with Pam in LTK. What do you want him to do? Kill her?
5)He made a great Bond and would make a great villain also.

#75 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 03:14 PM

Using that same line of argument, what the hell is wrong with Connery and Brosnan? Why is Dalton better than these guys? Since you're right about all this, and we're of course wrong, I'm very anxious to hear your line of thought {no, that's not a typo} on this subject.

#76 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 03:20 PM

Well, I think they are both good Bonds. I'm not saying they weren't. But Connery was too humourous and had too many unsubtle one liners. Plus he made a show of himself - did anyone NOT hear his 'Bond, James Bond' in Dr No or any of the other films? A secret agent should be discrete. Tim had only a few, subtle humourous lines and was much more low key, which made him more realistic. As for Pierce, well he's good too- he owes a lot to Tim Dalton's serious portrayal, but nothing stands out from his portrayal. Everything is fine but there is nothing outstanding. Tim is better than them both, but that doesn't mean I think they're bad.

#77 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 03:21 PM

Thank you for that monumental post. I will put this up for all to see that you had something nice--not outstanding, but nice--to say about Connery and Brosnan. Bondpurist, you have made my day.

#78 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 03:26 PM

I don't hate all the Bonds apart from Dalton. Just Moore and Lazenby.

#79 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 03:27 PM

Personally, I think Lazenby is an idiot as a person, but his movie was quite good. Moore had his moments.

#80 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 03:34 PM

OHMSS was a good film in spite of Lazenby and not because of him. Moore had some one film in which he was good as well; FYEO. He was much more ruthless in that, especially when he ficks Locque's car off the cliff. The rest of the Moore performances were pants apart from TSWLM which was OK.

#81 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 03:37 PM

Octopussy had some great moments, and that film was right where he should have called it quits. Hey, while we've got you here, want to discuss Moonraker. I wonder what Tim Dalton would have done with that!

#82 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 03:40 PM

Tim Dalton would of refused to do it. At least I hope he would of. Octopussy is OK in parts but Moore has far too many one liners and too much slapstick.

#83 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 03:43 PM

Ah, but Dalton was making Flash Gordon at the time, so he couldn't have done it. You gotta love the Tarzan yell in Octopussy--wait, no, you don't. I wonder whose idea that was. Glen's or Moore's?

#84 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 03:47 PM

I HATE that part. Ian Fleming would have died if he wasn't already dead. God knows whos idea it was. The mind boggles.

#85 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 03:49 PM

Hey, I was just thinking, I was going to start a topic on this, but I'll just ask you. Do you think it's true that Dalton didn't get along with Director John Glen?

#86 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 03:52 PM

Well, I don't think they did. I don't think Tim liked John's directing and John didn't like Tim's portrayal of 007. If you've just been working with Roger, then Tim's a bit of a contrast!

#87 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 03:54 PM

Glen also had experience working with Lazenby on the second unit for OHMSS, though, so that's even more contrast.

#88 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 03:57 PM

Yes, it is. Tension adds something extra to the film though - Rumours was recorded when Fleetwood Mac were being divorced, for instance!

#89 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 03:59 PM

Speaking of tension in film, where's Jim Cameron been anyway? Quick, someone get back on topic...Okay.

#90 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 04:01 PM

Back on topic then. Erm, yes. Don't you think Dalton was a good actor in general, at all? surely you can't say he was a bad actor totally