25 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 09:16 PM

Learn the history of Ian Fleming's least known short story... :)

Learn what Bond considers to be the best meal in NYC... :)

Learn the recipe for Scrambled Eggs "James Bond"... :)

For all this and more, click HERE.

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 09:18 PM

I read it before you even put up this post Zencat! :)

Terrific job on it, I've always found this story to be rather fun.

And I've yet to try out that recipe for eggs-Bond style. :)

Superb work!

#3 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:26 AM

Way too much butter in that recipe. I doubt you would be able to taste the eggs.

#4 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:50 AM

Where's the recipe for quiche?

Cubby ought to have included it the end-titles for A View To A Kill. :)

#5 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 05 April 2004 - 01:36 AM

Did Fleming (or anyone else for that matter) ever explain why a fictional story ended up in the non-fictional "Thilling Cites" book? It just seems a little strange.

#6 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 01:41 AM

I've had the eggs. Good enough, but not recommended for those who want live past 56.

By the way, "007 In New York" is the only Bond short story that mentions Felix Leiter.

And to answer the above question, the short story was not included in the book out of the blue. Fleming prefaced it in his chapter on New York by explaining a part of the New York experience, in this case through the eyes of the same James Bond whose various adventures were written about from time to time. All tongue-in-cheek, you understand.

Edited by Donovan, 05 April 2004 - 01:45 AM.

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 01:50 AM

To add to that, perhaps he just wanted to balance out that particular chapter with his dislike of the city, and Bond's more of a liking to the city.

#8 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 04:50 AM

The eggs are wonderful (as is the man who cooked them for me :) ), and I look forward to reading that short story.

Now, please folks don't PM me for the title of this book, but somewhere out there right now is a collection of spy short stories, and I believe "007 in NY" is in it.

But I will be buying the new edition of Octopussy to get this story.

-- Xenobia

PS: Can someone remind me which edition of Thrilling Cities has the short story in it.

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:21 AM

Now, please folks don't PM me for the title of this book, but somewhere out there right now is a collection of spy short stories, and I believe "007 in NY" is in it.

PS: Can someone remind me which edition of Thrilling Cities has the short story in it.

"007 in New York" is in another book of spy stories? This is news to me (and I think it might be news to the IFP). Are you sure you're not thinking of "From a View to a Kill" in the book, "To Catch a Spy"?

And, as I said in the article, "007 in New York" is only in the U.S. edition of Thrilling Cites.

#10 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:03 AM

It is in another book, along with some Tom Clancy pieces, so it is relatively modern.

And no, it wasn't AVTAK, because that was what I was expecting. I also remember an excerpt from FRWL being in there, if that helps someone to place it.

-- Xenobia

#11 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:39 AM

It is in another book, along with some Tom Clancy pieces, so it is relatively modern.

:)

Do you have a title, Xen? I'd really like to find this and include it in my article. This comes as a complete surprise to me.

#12 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:50 AM

Zencat...if I did, I'd tell you. I just know I was in Barnes and Noble recently, and saw it there.

-- Xen

#13 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:16 AM

Serve it in copper bowls, cut frickin' chives into it but it's still what it is - how would you like your heart attack served?

#14 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:22 AM

Over a double portion of well done bacon thank you.

-- X

#15 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:28 AM

Over a double portion of well done bacon thank you.

-- X

How very Atkins.

Don't go slipping on any ice, now.

#16 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 11:17 AM

:)

Do you have a title, Xen? I'd really like to find this and include it in my article. This comes as a complete surprise to me.

Nice! A surprise here too! This little, relatively unknown story in a whole different book all together?!?

Will have to find this one someday.

#17 INTREPID

INTREPID

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:56 PM

Wow! I'm really intrigued.

It's kind of weird how much navel-gazing Fleming's 007 does. He's such a Mary Sue, always putting his own musings into the mouth of his character. It makes 007 seem really slothful. What with the Martinis, and the 40 cigarettes a day, and the half-pound of butter with eggs and all this, it makes Bond seem less and less like a tightly coiled spring. And yet I love sequences like the card game in Moonraker where he doses up on benzedrine on top of alcohol and all the other things. It'd never work in real life though.

I love the Fleming short stories too, they're much more of a mixed batch than the 007 novels. Good for a quick read, and they always include some fatuous opinions of the author. :) And they usually have some kind of action sequence in them. Can't wait to read this one.

#18 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 01:36 PM

So, the big question to those in the know...

Is 007 In New York any better than Hercules In New York?

#19 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 03:07 PM

The first time this story was published in the UK was 1999. It came in a Sunday Times Bond supplement that celebrated the release of TWINE. I happen to have that magazine although it's not in the best condition because I've read it so many times. The art that accompanies the story is pretty nice too.

#20 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 10:41 AM

There's a preface by Peter Janson Smith in the recently released editions (last 12 months) that explain why it's included now and was released in Thrilling Cities.

There's also from memory a mention in Andrew Lycett's bio. Or maybe that's Pearsons. but it's explained from memory with something to do with the publisher's not being happy with Fleming's account of New York, so he wrote the story to say the Bond's view of it differs from his to keep them happy.

#21 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 02:36 PM

There's a preface by Peter Janson Smith in the recently released editions (last 12 months) that explain why it's included now and was released in Thrilling Cities.

There's also from memory a mention in Andrew Lycett's bio. Or maybe that's Pearsons. but it's explained from memory with something to do with the publisher's not being happy with Fleming's account of New York, so he wrote the story to say the Bond's view of it differs from his to keep them happy.

Yep, I've included this in my article.

The story was included in this book as a counterpoint to Fleming's own harsh judgment of the city and alleviate fears that American readers would take offense. Fleming may not love New York, but James Bond does, so...

#22 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 06:32 PM

I take it that we all realise that Solange is a prostitute?

#23 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 07:33 PM

I take it that we all realise that Solange is a prostitute?

No! :)

I hope he watched his wallet this time.

#24 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 11:58 AM

007 in New York has never been translated nor published in France too.
In no books our magazines.
I read it in italian a few years ago in " M Rivista del Mistero" ( M magazine of mystery).
I only read it in english last year when a got the new "Octopussy and the living daylights "penguin book. I find it great!
I've got the right to translate it in french and to publish it in the french 007fan-club (Club 007.FRance) fanzine "Archives 007" this year. So it will be published in french this year.
And I'm happy and proud that a french James Bond fan-club publish an unreleased short story. As we published the full version of "Blast from the past" by Raymond Benson in 1999. With Italy we are the only one in the world to have published this version of the Raymond short story.

#25 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 01:56 PM

...I've got the right to translate it in french and to publish it in the french 007fan-club (Club 007.FRance) fanzine "Archives 007" this year. So it will be published in french this year...

Excellent, Cesari. Please keep us informed on this.

#26 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 03:30 PM

...I've got the right to translate it in french and to publish it in the french 007fan-club (Club 007.FRance) fanzine "Archives 007" this year. So it will be published in french this year...

Excellent, Cesari. Please keep us informed on this.

Yes, please do. :)