102 replies to this topic

#31 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 05:12 PM

you didn't even know about Hoagy Charmichael, Fleming's original choice of Roger Moore, and his initial dislike of Sean Connery.

I knew about Fleming's original choice of Roger Moore, and his initial dislike of Sean Connery full well, and Hoagy Carmichael hasn't got much to do with Bond - only some tenuous connection concerning his resembalance to Fleming's Bond. Just because you mentioned the Moore/Fleming/Connery thing doesn't mean I didn't know about it. Don't be so damned arrogant.
As for my supposed 'the rest of the world is wrong and I am right' attitude, well the mind boggles. All I do is state my opinion. That's it. Your attitude is equally as aggressive as mine Irishcrown, so don't keep calling the pot black when you're a kettle yourself.

#32 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 06:43 PM

Who are you calling a kettle there, Bondpurist? Do you write to your mother with that mouth? I don't believe I'm being arrogant. If you want to claim to be a know it all, fine, but when you get caught with your pants down, try and be graceful and know when to get off the stage. Your favorite stage actor, Timothy Dalton, couldn't say it better.

#33 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 07:28 PM

Why Dalton? You know every time I think about James Bond, I think the same thing. I didn't want him for the part.

#34 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 07:30 PM

Oh for god sakes, now you guys are calling each other cookingware?

#35 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 07:41 PM

At least they're not calling each other gardening tools.

#36 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 07:45 PM

Good point there, CB.

#37 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 08:42 PM

Why Dalton? If I have to answer that question one more time.........
My main argument is:
-He was serious
-He was a great actor
-He was closest to Fleming's Bond
-He characterised Bond brilliantly instead of being a shallow, personalityless drone.
- He had the best British accent.
- He was handsome in a slightly cruel, wild sort of way instead of the well polished, overly groomed and comfortable looks of the others.
- He played Bond crueller, harder yet with a slightly vulnerable side. In other words he made Bond human.
That's why Chandlerbing :)
What's wrong with calling someone a piece of cookingware? Don't be such a bunch of bottle openers!

#38 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 08:48 PM

And here was I thinking that Bondpurist had finshed with this thread:rolleyes:. Oh well, I don't think many people will take any notice of Dalton threads now, if BP has replied to them, we'll just get the same old reply. Ok, watching TLD yesterday, I made it clear in my mind, Dalton is about the third best Bond, tieing with Moore, that good enough for ya?:)

#39 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 08:51 PM

No, but it's progress

#40 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 08:55 PM

Hmm, I could accuse you of spamming BP, seen your average post rate lately?

#41 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 08:56 PM

Spamming? I just post a lot. I can't do anything right around here.

#42 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 09:01 PM

Yup, spamming has happened before ya know, and no, you can't do anything right;)

#43 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 09:04 PM

What constitutes spamming?

#44 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 09:08 PM

Its like, your average post rate is 20 something, thats not at all right. And when you click on either new posts or todays posts, your name is on almost every thread. It has happened before, I'm not saying who, but thats all I am saying. BTW, this convo ends here.

#45 14 20 02

14 20 02

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 12:30 PM

Quote from BondPurist "None of Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore nor Pierce Brosnan are fit to LICK DALTON'S BOOTS!"
First i don't want to have an argument with you but just like you i get offended when people bash other people's actors.
About your quote:
I don't think they want to!

Quote from BondPurist "Those who don't like Dalton don't like the real Bond. They like what Bond has evolved into through the whims of those who want to make money, and not Flemingian Bond films."

So what if some people prefer Connery as Bond, Lazenby as Bond, Moore as Bond or Brosnan as Bond. I like all the actors and i can admit this i prefer the movie Bond than the Flemings Bond. In a Bond film i would like a little humour in the film and all the actors of Bond except Dalton have made me laugh. That's my opinion and i respect yours.

#46 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 12:49 PM

Originally posted by Bondpurist
...cheap laughs die but...thrillers, such as...Licence to Kill last forever...None of Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore nor Pierce Brosnan are fit to LICK DALTON'S BOOTS!

Licence to Kill does indeed feel like it lasts forever. You have tapped into my nightmare.

(Apologies for editing your fascinating post just for the sake of a cheap laugh. Let that cheap laugh die)

Why on earth would they want to lick his boots? As for not being fit enough, that might be true: they're all getting on and some of them might have trouble getting back up again if they bent down that far.

The other seventeen films must be utter torment for you. Sorry about that

#47 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 02:22 PM

I was reading the Bond Encyclopedia last night (it's a heavy book to read before you go to sleep and it works wonders!) and I saw that License To Kill is the 2nd longest Bond movie ever. OHMSS is the longest by only 5 minutes. You know what could have helped John Glen when he was doing 2nd unit for that film? He could have learned about pacing. OHMSS flies right by, but License To Kill is like one long 2 1/2 stint sitting on the crapper...it's uncomfortable, it's painful, and when you're done, you're totally numb.

#48 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 07:46 PM

i prefer the movie Bond than the Flemings Bond.

Fair enough. But I don't - it makes a mockery of Flemings artistically accomplished, serious creation in my opinion, but there you go. As for licking his boots - well, it's an English expression meaning that they are not fit to lick (slang for clean) someone's boots - normally it refers to a junior football ('soccer' for all those yanks out there) player cleaning a professional's football boots because they're not good enough to play in them instead. It was merely a way of saying that the other Bond actors' interpretation of Fleming's character was amateur compared to Dalton.

License To Kill is like one long 2 1/2 stint sitting on the crapper...it's uncomfortable, it's painful, and when you're done, you're totally numb.

There are lots of fast paced action scenes in LTK that go very fast and I never realised that it was that long - it seems to go along at an excellent pace and I found it engrossing and very enjoyable. It's both character and plot driven, with great acting and a more realistic incentive to complete the mission - personal revenge. If you think that then fine, but I personally think that people just can't cope with keeping up with such an intricate and finely tuned work of art. LTK is like the opera - people think it's rubbish and few go to see but it's still a masterpiece, just ill-appreciated and ill-attended. For those of you who like Bond-lite, cinematic, honey coated, un Flemingian films won't like it, but the more serious, less light hearted among us love it.
(Since that by expressing my opinion on here I always ends up with being chastised on here by some do-gooder for being strident or arrogant or somesuch, I'd better say that all above opinions are mine and I don't expect anyone else to agree blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda)

#49 14 20 02

14 20 02

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 August 2002 - 09:19 AM

I do know what "They not fit to lick Daltons boots" mean. I am English but you don't need to be so hard on the other Bond actors they are all good in my opinion.

#50 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 17 August 2002 - 01:15 PM

I think you guys are being too harsh on Bondpurist. As a
Dalton fan i understand where he is coming from, many of you might not be able to. However being condescending is no way to treat fellow
forum members

I commend BP for his strongly held convictions on Dalton. He is a man of honour.

#51 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 17 August 2002 - 02:26 PM

At last! Someone to my defence! After so many anti-Dalton activists have put their boot in to my already bloodied wounds, a stretcher bearer has arrived! Thank you Byron!!

you don't need to be so hard on the other Bond actors they are all good in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong - I like the other Bond actors as well (Well, with the possible exception of Moore) but they are dwarfed by Dalton's accomplishments. The more I watch Brosnan the more I like him, and Connery has always been excellent in my opinion - Bourbon and Branch water is fine but nothing compares to a Vodka Martini!!

#52 14 20 02

14 20 02

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 August 2002 - 04:55 PM

Don't get me wrong - I like the other Bond actors as well (Well, with the possible exception of Moore) but they are dwarfed by Dalton's accomplishments. The more I watch Brosnan the more I like him, and Connery has always been excellent in my opinion - Bourbon and Branch water is fine but nothing compares to a Vodka Martini!!

That's absoutely fine Bondpurist. I hope i haven't upset you by my posts but i thought i should send in my opinion.

#53 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 17 August 2002 - 06:43 PM

BP - I don't think there are actually that many people who are anti-Dalton, I believe you are getting a little carried away with peoples opinion, and when they state they don't believe him to be the best you take that as a personal attack and begin to once again explain why they are wrong.

I personally love Dalton and both his movies, but it doesn't mean I hold him in the same regard as yourself, and Im sure there are other people who feel the same.

As for Byron's comments about being condescending towards BP, I dont believe that to be entirely true, its kind of six of one and half a dozen of the other between BP and Irishcrown. BP made his fair share of condescending comments.

BP - I have no problem whatsoever with your love for Dalton, and its cool to have an individual who is as passionate about a Bond actor, as some of us are about, Sean, George, Roger, and Pierce.

However it does sometimes come across that you have to prove some kind of point to each individual about your love for Dalton. It can get a little tiresome after a while, and I think you'll find this is why people don't always act favourably towards you. Its ok 'spreading the word' but be careful you dont put people off Dalton.

#54 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 11:08 AM

Always the diplomat, mrmoon! I have defended Dalton on every thread that I can find where he has been attacked. If I come across as tiresome then I am sorry - I suppose it comes from watching too many episodes of 'Westminister Today' or 'Despatch box', but I am a naturally persistent person, often too much so. Irishcrown was more condescending towards me (and everyone else for that matter) than I am - he has a habit of writing to people like they are a naughty child, and it somewhat annoys me and provokes me. Anyway, can we get back on topic now? This whole thing is a little tiresome now.

#55 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 09:30 PM

Anyway, can we get back on topic now?

Jeez, I thought you'd never ask....

#56 Predator_007

Predator_007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 02:12 PM

I personally think that people just can't cope with keeping up with such an intricate and finely tuned work of art. LTK is like the opera - people think it's rubbish and few go to see but it's still a masterpiece, just ill-appreciated and ill-attended. For those of you who like Bond-lite, cinematic, honey coated, un Flemingian films won't like it, but the more serious, less light hearted among us love it.
(Since that by expressing my opinion on here I always ends up with being chastised on here by some do-gooder for being strident or arrogant or somesuch, I'd better say that all above opinions are mine and I don't expect anyone else to agree blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda)

Not arrogant at all - passionate perhaps.

I think Dalton has had a lot of stick for his portrayal of Bond. He's kinda the Bond actor that should've been. I think he started well with TLD - a good story, but after the excesses of the Moore era, a bit bland. Then LTK ...

I won't repeat anything from the 'lone wolf' post apart from to say, IMO LTK is not consistent with any of the other films in the Bond series and to call all of the others Bond-lite is a little unfair (I know, I know that's not what you meant). It is interesting to compare it with the opera, as it could've been so easily the metaphorical fat lady singing for the Bond series ... :)

I wish he'd been given another Bond so that we could have a little more to judge him on as one traditional Bond film and one that was trying to break the mould doesn't do the actor justice (maybe another director could've stretched him a bit more perhaps rather than Glen often just relying on his Shakespearian talents).

#57 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 02:21 PM

"LTK is like the opera - people think it's rubbish and few go to see but it's still a masterpiece, just ill-appreciated and ill-attended."

Bondpurist, I haven't seen License To Kill in a while, but if there was a fat lady in there, I must've blinked, because I didn't see her.

#58 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 04:15 PM

LTK did Dalton every justice. I do not judge Bond films on what has gone before in the world of Bond films like you seem to do. I judge them on how good a BOND film they really are, taking Bond to be who he really is - a character created by Ian Fleming. Your definition of 'bland' seems to be a film without overt humour. None of Fleming's novels had overt humour. All of Moore's films apart from perhaps FYEO had overt humour. Dalton films kept to being like James Bond -IAN FLEMING'S character, not Roger Moore's. If Roger Moore wanted to characterise a character like he did in the Bond films then he shouldn't of done it to Bond - Bond is and always will be defined by who created him -Ian Fleming. Timothy Dalton defined Bond as who he is - Flemings character. Moore defined him as who he is NOT - Moore's character.
I regard every Bond film individually because they are individual films with individual actors. I try not to clump together as one series as you do with species of fish or snakes.
My comparison with the opera was quite abstract and general. There's no need to take it that far.

#59 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 05:29 PM

I thought the fat lady thing was just what was needed to lighten things up. You take things way too seriously, Bondpurist. I saw on your personal page and was shocked at the details of..some things. Are you really writing these posts yourself? If so, I'm impressed.

#60 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 05:32 PM

Damnation. I knew I shouldn't have revealed that. Yes, of course I write my own posts. Yes, I do take things seriously. I am a naturally serious person.