#2 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:45 PM

why is this a milestone?

....because they finally finished printing them?

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:54 PM

Did you read my article? Starting with second paragraph...

The publication of these books marks a milestone event in the history of the literary James Bond. This will be the first time in over 30 years that a single U.S. publisher has released all the Fleming books in a uniform set. (Signet Books prevented this by holding onto their original publishing rights to these last two books in the U.S.) Also, the text of these new U.S. editions are, for the first time, the complete and unabridged versions that have always been available in the UK--including the restoration of racially insensitive language in Live And Let Die.

As an additional bonus, the short story "007 in New York" has been added to Octopussy and The Living Daylights. For many years this relatively unknown Ian Fleming short story was available only in the U.S. edition of Fleming's non-fictional work, Thrilling Cities. It was first published in the UK in 1999 in a Sunday Times supplemental magazine released as a tie-in with the film The World Is Not Enough. This marks the first publication of "007 in New York" together with the other James Bond short stories.

I wasn't sure of the word "milestone"... I orginally had "historic event," but this sounded a little silly when talking about James Bond books.

#4 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 05:15 PM

zencat, do you know if it's possible to buy all these books in a box set?

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 05:44 PM

zencat, do you know if it's possible to buy all these books in a box set?

Didn't I put that in the article too? :) Last paragraph

#6 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 05:59 PM

They really do make a gorgeous set.

If I wasn't so dead set against buying copies of every last thing that gets reissued, I'd be tempted to pick this lot up.

These have surpassed in terms of light years anything that the UK has been up to recently - what on earth were they thinking with the modern classic covers. Oh dear.

#7 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 06:00 PM

[quote name='zencat' date='30 March 2004 - 17:44'] [quote name='Loomis' date='30 March 2004 - 09:15'] zencat, do you know if it's possible to buy all these books in a box set? [/quote]
Didn't I put that in the article too? :) Last paragraph

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 06:06 PM

They really do make a gorgeous set.

If I wasn't so dead set against buying copies of every last thing that gets reissued, I'd be tempted to pick this lot up.

These have surpassed in terms of light years anything that the UK has been up to recently - what on earth were they thinking with the modern classic covers.  Oh dear.

I really think these are the BEST reissues yet of the Fleming books -- US or UK -- and I would recommend these to anyone who doesn't yet have a set. I like that they are trade size, I like the inclusion of "007 in New York", I LOVE the retro look...

The only thing I didn't like about these books was that it took two freakin' years for Penguin to put them out. Why the slow roll out is a mystery. But as of today, we have them all!

A box set would make them all the more perfect. If they do one, I

#9 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 06:15 PM

Hehe. :) It's a short one.

Ha! Don't worry, zencat, I always enjoy your articles, even though I sometimes only skim them initially. BTW, any more "subtext" pieces or reviews in the pipeline? :)

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 06:17 PM

No...my Benson interview series is taking up all my time at the moment. Speaking of which, Part II is imminent. :) (In fact, it would have gone up today if it weren't for my surprise "shipping notice" from BN.com.)

#11 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 06:19 PM

Part II is imminent. :)

Cool, bring it on. :) Part I dramatically increased my respect for Benson. I've said it before and I'll say it again: a class act.

#12 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 07:08 PM

Very cool, John. Looks like I might have to grab a second copy of Octopussy. :)

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 08:06 PM

Yay, more Bond books to buy! More publications to adorn my shelves! :)

Be nice to have all 14 of the Penguin's finally, then back to work on the Jonathan Cape first editions! :)

#14 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 10:12 PM

IMHO, these are the most beautiful series of Bond book covers ever.

I love the Octopussy/TLD cover and that 007 in New York will be part of it. (I have both Thrilling Cities and the Times SUnday SUpplement but will get this version as well.

Time to haunt the bookshops!

#15 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 02:02 AM

I'm going to try out Borders, WaldenBooks, Media Play or the local Barnes & Noble's by me before I go to the internet.

However, for the previous three, I ended up getting impatient and just ordering them off amazon or B & N or something.

Nice to see the release date is finally here!

#16 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 05:18 PM

I really think these are the BEST reissues yet of the Fleming books -- US or UK -- and I would recommend these to anyone who doesn't yet have a set. I like that they are trade size, I like the inclusion of "007 in New York", I LOVE the retro look...

Trade size? I'm guessing by that they are bigger than a standard paperback. Does that mean the print is super big as well or have they maintained a normal size there?

Otherwise, I think they are probably the best too, although I do have a soft spot for the artwork Pan covers of the 50's and 60's. A different animal though.

I'll have to mull your recommendation over....

#17 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 05:27 PM

I'm glad the last two are finally out. I have been waiting for them. I have read all the other new releases, and have them on my bookshelf.

4A

#18 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:06 PM

Trade size? I'm guessing by that they are bigger than a standard paperback. Does that mean the print is super big as well or have they maintained a normal size there?

Otherwise, I think they are probably the best too, although I do have a soft spot for the artwork Pan covers of the 50's and 60's. A different animal though.

I'll have to mull your recommendation over....

They are oversize paperbacks, Simon. I quite like them like that, pretty nice looking, and the print seems the regular size still though.

#19 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 09:06 PM

Cheers fella.

#20 The Silver Beast

The Silver Beast

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 08:11 PM

MI6 is reporting that these books have been "delayed" and aren't coming out until April 6. That's news to me...considering I found my books today at the bookstore! LOL.

#21 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 09:45 PM

Officially, they maybe right. I only say that as I picked up a copy of the TWINE Making of a few days early.

Their response to why it was on the shelves early was simply, "They sent it early, it goes on the shelf early."

Probably comes down solely to that.

#22 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 09:57 PM

Simon
Posted: 1 April 2004 - 13:45

Their response to why it was on the shelves early was simply, "They sent it early, it goes on the shelf early."

I don't know about this whole "early" thing (which is why I didn't report this as being an "early" release -- I would have liked to, that would have been a scoop!). BN.com has always shown a March 30 release date and the books shipped to me on March 30 right on schedule. The fact is the books are out there now. True, Amazon does show April 6, but they did this with the other books as well...showed a later release date. I've always figured that was just for safety -- factor on a week so they're sure to get their books from the publisher. Unless it's a major book, Amazon rarely ships on street dates, which is why I order more from BN.com. (Strangely enough Amazon UK shows April 1.)

But I could care less really. I'm just happy the set is complete. It took Penguin so long to put them out I was afraid they'd pull the plug before the set was complete -- like what happened with the German titles (that story HERE).

Isn't it weird that the IFP website makes no mention of these books? They certainly could have played them up in the way I did here. I think it's very cool that this is the first time in over 30 years that one publisher has put out all the books in the U.S. But maybe I'm just a geek. :)

#23 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 10:35 PM

I was out last night, BN did not have them, B Dalton did not have them, Waldenbooks did not have them, and Borders did not have them.

And all of them carry these Penguin releases. :) :)

#24 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 10:42 PM

Sorry to hear that, Johnboy. You should order them online. I've had terrible luck in bookstores with these titles. Bookstores only get about 2 or 3 copies and that's it! (and they are usually crammed away in the shelves). Besides, I worked in a bookstore in my early 20s and I know that new books would sit in boxes in the back for weeks. Heck, I remember going to another store and seeing they had Role of Honor! I ran back to our store and had to go through box after box until I found it. If I wasn't such a Bond fan, who knows when we would have shelved it!

Maybe this explains the week delay thing? Maybe the publisher assumes it will take stores at least a week to recieve and stock the book. Makes sense.

I've pretty much given up on bookstores. Not only do you get the books online as soon as they're released, but you get 20% to 30% off and no tax and I can usually find a coupon that gives me free shipping.

#25 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 03:59 AM

Johnboy, those bookstores usally get them a week after the release date, check again then, Borders is the most reliable. :)

#26 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 09:59 PM

Update: I have the books in hand. :)

One surprise is that the book features an introduction to the short story "007 in New York" written by Peter Janson-Smith. He says Fleming's original title was "Reflections in a Carey Cadillac." This I didn't know.

#27 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 10:59 PM

LOL! Not surprised at all! :)

Hopefully I'll be going out to get mine tomorrow.

#28 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 01:24 AM

One surprise is that the book features an introduction to the short story "007 in New York" written by Peter Janson-Smith. He says Fleming's original title was "Reflections in a Carey Cadillac." This I didn't know.

The introduction also appeared in the recent UK reprints.

A short, interesting read as to the history of this forgotten Fleming short-story.

#29 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 03 April 2004 - 01:52 AM

The introduction also appeared in the recent UK reprints.

A short, interesting read as to the history of this forgotten Fleming short-story.

Yes it is, and can anyone tell me what a "Carey" is please?

#30 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 08:09 PM

Picked up the final two today, look excellent, glad to have them all on the shelf now. :)