2226 replies to this topic

#2101 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:16 AM

Just finished Stephen King's fantastic collection of short stories, Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

Wonderful stuff from the mind that brought us Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.

There are countless unmade classic movies within his work.

-

#2102 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:25 PM

KGB, The Inside Story Of Its Foreign Operations From Lenin To Gorbachev - Quite interesting, but at the speed I'm reading at I'll never finish it!

#2103 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:41 PM

I've just finished reading Duncan Hamilton's book on the famous football (soccer) manager, Brian Clough, called Provided you don't kiss me.

It's an excellent and honest account of Hamilton's 20 years covering Clough's teams when he was a journalist. Well worth reading for any fans of football but also any fans of people with overwhelming personalities.

#2104 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:51 PM

RASHOMON AND 17 OTHER STORIES by Ryunosuke Akutagawa

The most profound, moving literature I've encountered in a long time. Akutagawa's language, as rendered by translator Jay Rubin, is admirably precise and clear, as is his storytelling; Akutagawa uses a little to do a lot. In addition to his marvelous translation, Rubin must receive a great deal of praise for the manner in which he has assembled this sampling of Akutagawa's work; these pieces compliment each other exceedingly well.

QUICKSILVER by Neal Stephenson

This 1000-page novel, which kicks off Stephenson's "Baroque Cycle," makes for strange reading after Akutagawa. Akutagawa's work, so carefully composed and delicate, is nothing like Stephenson's work, which adores excess and indulgence. Nevertheless, there's an admirable exuberance behind the absurdity and insanity of Stephenson's work that compensates for his weaknesses.

#2105 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:56 PM

I've recently finished Irvine Welsh's excellent Ecstasy

and I've also just quickly read British comedian Peter Kay's second book Saturday Night Peter

-

#2106 Sark2.0

Sark2.0

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:58 PM

It's the Crude, Dude: Greed, Gas, War and the American Way.

#2107 Kilroy6644

Kilroy6644

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:53 PM

Finally finished Michener's Alaska. I flirted with the idea of staying in Alaska with Louis L'Amour's Sitka, but instead I went with Pirate Latitudes, by Michael Crichton.

#2108 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:52 PM

QUICKSILVER by Neal Stephenson

This 1000-page novel, which kicks off Stephenson's "Baroque Cycle," makes for strange reading after Akutagawa. Akutagawa's work, so carefully composed and delicate, is nothing like Stephenson's work, which adores excess and indulgence. Nevertheless, there's an admirable exuberance behind the absurdity and insanity of Stephenson's work that compensates for his weaknesses.

Do you recommend Neal though? People always suggest him to me but I never got around to it.

#2109 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:37 PM

Do you recommend Neal though?

He's not to all tastes. But if you're interested in the same things that Stephenson is--math and science, largely--and have a sense of humor that relishes absurdity, then yes, I wholeheartedly recommend Stephenson.

#2110 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:42 PM

The most profound, moving literature I've encountered in a long time. Akutagawa's language, as rendered by translator Jay Rubin, is admirably precise and clear, as is his storytelling; Akutagawa uses a little to do a lot. In addition to his marvelous translation, Rubin must receive a great deal of praise for the manner in which he has assembled this sampling of Akutagawa's work; these pieces compliment each other exceedingly well.

Dunno if you know this, but Rubin is also the English translator of many if not most of Haruki Murakami's novels.

#2111 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:33 PM

Dunno if you know this, but Rubin is also the English translator of many if not most of Haruki Murakami's novels.

I did, actually (Murakami actually provides the introduction to that Akutagawa collection).

#2112 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:07 PM

TREMOR OF INTENT by Anthony Burgess

More intriguing in concept than execution, this minor work of Burgess is entertaining enough, but given the richness of Burgess' body of work, nevertheless seems a bit disappointing. The notion of a spy adventure rooted in a broader spiritual conflict (the cover of my edition touts it as "An Eschatological Spy Novel") has a great deal of promise, but TREMOR OF INTENT feels somewhat half-hearted.

#2113 Kilroy6644

Kilroy6644

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:44 PM

All this talk of Neal Stephenson has led me to choose Cryptonomicon as my next book. I've only just finished Pirate Latitudes though, so taking it off the shelf is as far as I've gotten.

#2114 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:56 PM

THE EBONY TOWER by John Fowles.

I'm not sure the novellas/short stories that make up this book make for a compelling unified whole in the way that other short story collections come together (like Bradbury's THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES), but taken individually, they are marvelously accomplished. I loved Fowles' THE MAGUS, but he's in finer form here. I can't wait to start THE FRENCH LIEUTENANT'S WOMAN.

#2115 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 01:48 AM

THE EBONY TOWER by John Fowles.

I'm not sure the novellas/short stories that make up this book make for a compelling unified whole in the way that other short story collections come together (like Bradbury's THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES), but taken individually, they are marvelously accomplished. I loved Fowles' THE MAGUS, but he's in finer form here. I can't wait to start THE FRENCH LIEUTENANT'S WOMAN.

Hmmm.... THE EBONY TOWER is a book I've long been thinking of getting hold of. The idea of Fowles on finer form than with THE MAGUS really has me intrigued now.

#2116 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 02:14 AM

Hmmm.... THE EBONY TOWER is a book I've long been thinking of getting hold of.

It's worth it.

The idea of Fowles on finer form than with THE MAGUS really has me intrigued now.

Let me adjust my claim, just so you don't get your expectations mixed up. I wouldn't say THE EBONY TOWER is as consistently impressive as THE MAGUS. If I were speaking only of the first story, the one titled THE EBONY TOWER, and the last, THE CLOUD, then I would have no qualms about proclaiming THE EBONY TOWER to be superior to THE MAGUS. THE EBONY TOWER and THE CLOUD are beautifully composed, with a preciseness and a delicacy that isn't quite present in THE MAGUS.

But, admittedly, THE EBONY TOWER isn't just those two entries. It also has ELIDUC, a translation of a classic Marie de France story, and POOR KOKO and THE ENIGMA, which are well written but aren't as striking. These sections do not show up THE MAGUS, even if they are ultimately worth reading in some capacity.

#2117 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:18 AM

Figured since I'm so obsessed with Dwight Frye as Renfield, I should read Dracula, so I am. Yup.

#2118 Kilroy6644

Kilroy6644

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:49 PM

Figured since I'm so obsessed with Dwight Frye as Renfield, I should read Dracula, so I am. Yup.

Great book, and no sparkles.

#2119 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:34 PM

THE MEANING OF NIGHT by Michael Cox.

Eh, it's okay. I might push on to something else.

#2120 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:06 PM

The Blue Nowhere - Jeffery Deaver

Where the villian is palying out a computer game in real life.

#2121 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:24 AM

THE MINISTRY OF FEAR by Graham Greene.

I greatly admire the work of Greene, but this one didn't quite work for me, or at least it didn't until we entered the second half, where things pick up and the character relationships achieve a greater depth than they had previously. I daresay there's the seed of an especially fine film in here, and indeed, the great Fritz Lang adapted it into cinema form in the 1940s. I may have to give it a look.

#2122 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:45 PM

Hmmm.... THE EBONY TOWER is a book I've long been thinking of getting hold of.

It's worth it.

The idea of Fowles on finer form than with THE MAGUS really has me intrigued now.

Let me adjust my claim, just so you don't get your expectations mixed up. I wouldn't say THE EBONY TOWER is as consistently impressive as THE MAGUS. If I were speaking only of the first story, the one titled THE EBONY TOWER, and the last, THE CLOUD, then I would have no qualms about proclaiming THE EBONY TOWER to be superior to THE MAGUS. THE EBONY TOWER and THE CLOUD are beautifully composed, with a preciseness and a delicacy that isn't quite present in THE MAGUS.

But, admittedly, THE EBONY TOWER isn't just those two entries. It also has ELIDUC, a translation of a classic Marie de France story, and POOR KOKO and THE ENIGMA, which are well written but aren't as striking. These sections do not show up THE MAGUS, even if they are ultimately worth reading in some capacity.

Well, I'm now reading this book. So far, I've read THE EBONY TOWER and am about to start on THE ENIGMA. I'm not sure that THE EBONY TOWER (which in some ways is like a mini-MAGUS) is any better-written or more interesting than THE MAGUS. It's a decent enough short story, but I never felt that Coetminais had the magic of Bourani or that Breasley was as compelling a character as Conchis. Funnily enough, THE EBONY TOWER was filmed for television (with Laurence Olivier) - I write "funnily enough" because I really can't imagine how this story could be made to work onscreen, but I may have to check this TV adaptation out at some point. THE ENIGMA was also filmed for TV, I believe.

BTW, if you're up for more Fowles, I recommend DANIEL MARTIN and THE COLLECTOR.

#2123 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:18 AM

TALIBAN

Ahmed Rashid

#2124 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:55 AM

Started reading My Liverpool Home (Kenny Dalglish's memoir/autobio) last Sunday. Then it's on to Curtain (which I can't believe I haven't read) and Resolution by Richard B. Parker.

#2125 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:29 AM

Eventually finished Lost Hero after keep getting interrupted - that's a book in two weeks - next up is Red Leech, followed by the first two Harry Dresden novels.

#2126 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:07 AM

It's a decent enough short story, but I never felt that Coetminais had the magic of Bourani or that Breasley was as compelling a character as Conchis.

Well, on the former, that's probably true. But not every story location is meant to have the same magnetic pull as an island in Bourani, and to compare the settings so directly seems to miss the mark. THE EBONY TOWER is concerned with different things than THE MAGUS. Setting, frankly, isn't as big a player. THE MAGUS is an overblown, absurd, strange novel with grand gestures; THE EBONY TOWER is a more delicate, disciplined tale. But it is the quality of the prose that ultimately separates the two works in my eyes; THE MAGUS, for all its considerable merits, has some significant deficiencies in this regard, deficiencies which THE EBONY TOWER does not share.

Regarding Conchis, I fail to see how he's genuinely much of a character at all. I was never genuinely interested in the windbag as much as I was in Nicholas and Alison (especially the latter, who provides the heart of THE MAGUS). I appreciated Conchis and the rest of the characters as effective narrative devices, but they were far from a source of genuine humanity. Breasley may not be as enigmatic, and thus not as immediately appealing--he's a boorish, washed-up artist--but he's nevertheless quite human in a way Conchis is not, and given a choice between the two, I'd choose Breasley.

BTW, if you're up for more Fowles, I recommend DANIEL MARTIN and THE COLLECTOR.

I've been meaning to get my hands on THE COLLECTOR for a while now. I'm partway through THE FRENCH LIEUTENANT'S WOMAN right now. I'm loving it.

#2127 The sniper was a woman

The sniper was a woman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:27 AM

Pierce Brosnan the biography by York Membery.

#2128 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:01 AM

It's a decent enough short story, but I never felt that Coetminais had the magic of Bourani or that Breasley was as compelling a character as Conchis.

Well, on the former, that's probably true. But not every story location is meant to have the same magnetic pull as an island in Bourani, and to compare the settings so directly seems to miss the mark. THE EBONY TOWER is concerned with different things than THE MAGUS. Setting, frankly, isn't as big a player.

Not as big, perhaps, but I do believe that it's intended as a player and supposed to have its own magnetic pull - a pull that I wish I'd felt more strongly as a reader. There's the idea of a young Englishman from London given the chance to tear off his cloak of middle class repression in the wilds of rural France. THE EBONY TOWER does have obvious parallels with THE MAGUS, so I think it's legitimate to compare the two works. Both stories concern a young man who finds himself becoming the pupil and pawn of an old man who lives by his own rules and presents him with a rural idyll, sexual temptation and new ways of looking at art and life. Perhaps to acknowledge the similarites, Fowles goes as far as to reference THE MAGUS. (He could read the title of the Freak's book: The Magus. He guessed at astrology, she would be into all that nonsense.)

Breasley may not be as enigmatic, and thus not as immediately appealing--he's a boorish, washed-up artist--but he's nevertheless quite human in a way Conchis is not, and given a choice between the two, I'd choose Breasley.

Admittedly, Breasley is a very well-drawn character in that it's easy to believe he was a painter who really existed. And he's slightly underused insofar as Fowles refrains from shoehorning him into the story as much as he might have done. He's kept slightly in the background in a way that Conchis isn't, and is of course all the more interesting for that reason. I'm quite curious to see how Olivier plays him.

More human than Conchis? Certainly. Compared to Breasley, Conchis is a larger-than-life supervillain who's given a lot more to do by Fowles.

#2129 Kilroy6644

Kilroy6644

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:46 PM

I'm still on Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon. I'm not progressing as fast as I'd like. I'm really enjoying it, but I made the mistake of starting it at the same time as I bought a new smart phone. Quite often, when I should be reading, I'm playing with the new phone. At the pace I'm going, I don't think I'm going to accomplish my goal, which was to finish it in time to reread True Grit before the new movie comes out.

#2130 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:31 PM

Just finished ONE DAY by David Nicholls. Excellent. Looking forward to the film adaptation with Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess that is apparently in post-production.