mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 03:09 PM

THE TANGER TRIAL

Contestants,

As I see it, the problem we have before us is deciding whether or not one of your fellow contestants is telling the truth.

The incident occurred during the previous challenge when a new CBn member named 'the brenden hater' posted :

BRENDEN YOU HAVE A GAY NAME AND YOU ARE SAD CAUSE YOU ARE ALWYAS ON HERE.

The spelling deprived member went on to make similar insults toward Mole player Brendan007, amongst others, for a further two hours. Directly after the first post, fellow contestant Tanger posted :

Ok lad. We don't need any of that round here.That's taking it too far.

However after repeated threats from staff members closing in on him Tanger told his version of the truth.

Ok, I've just PM'd Dave telling him about this whole debacle and I feel I should let all players know what has been going on.

First of all, it was not me that set the account up and it was not be who was posting all those insults. It was however somebody that I know who had recently taken in interest in the game.
It was a close friend of mine who saw me playing the Mole this week and asked me what I was doing. I of course told him all about it, what we were doing and where we were up to. He learned about the latest challenge and because of this, took a disliking to some people.

I suggested that he set up an account so that he could be an active spectator such as the Mole and Dolce but I didn't realise he'd take it this far. I'm terribly sorry for any insults he has thrown around and anything that has been said. This was not meant in anyway to give me an advantage it was just a case of a friend of taking it too far.

I apologise for any harm that's been done and hopefully my friend will not be coming back. I'll make sure he doesn't. 

[SIZE=1]

The issue before the nine other players is deciding whether Tanger's actions went outside the "no rules" policy of the game or not. Is the above statement believable, does this 'friend' even exist and is it a valid excuse? Is the entire incident grounds for dismissal?

It is you his actions have affected and perhaps offended and thus you will decide his fate. The nine of you are the jury and at the conclusion of the trial will vote guilty or not guilty. A majority guilty vote will see Tanger leave the game, a majority not guilty verdict will allow him to stay.

The accused will be representing himself, the case against him led by Brendan007. Both Tanger and Brendan007 have been sent more specific details regarding the trial. The other eight of you can simply watch, or pose questions to Tanger if you wish. Each side will be allowed to call up to three witnesses to support their case.

The Tanger Trial begins soon.

Judge Matthew Bowyer

#2 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 03:27 PM

Bye, bye Tanger.

#3 SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1946 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 03:32 PM

This is a bit silly, because that's basically saying he isn't the mole as there is a chance for him to be booted. A high chance I might add.

Well, at the moment im on the fence (I don't like it, but I am). If this 'friend' exists, then it's just too bad. You can't blame Tanger for having :) friends.

However, what if it wasn't him? I think he should get the boot from the mole and perhaps CBn...

If it was him, I should add, then it was pure guts to pull something like that off. No rules means no rules and it's a shame people had to cry over some harsh words, but it worked, and Brendan caved in.

Or maybe he is the mole with some trix up his sleve to stay in anyway...

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 03:34 PM

Well, I can safely say that the now banned member was totally out of line to everyone he spoke to in the Mole thread.

Not pointing any fingers until this challenge picks up and this 'case' begins.

#5 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 03:41 PM

Point away, point away.

#6 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 04:13 PM

I wish to ask Tanger if his friend was logging on to his PC to make the posts?

#7 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 04:16 PM

I think they said the IP's matched

I will wait for the trial before I really make up my mind.

#8 SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1946 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 04:21 PM

The IPs will match because he will be on the same network (school/college?).

I had a similar thing happen to me with the planet quake forums about 4 years ago when I was in college. Took alot of explaining and tracerouting to get them to understand it wasn't me posting crap from that IP.

I believe Tanger, after consideration, and therefore I consider the events that happend to be ok. Even if he arranged it Brendan shouldn't be such a baby and cave in. I'm with Tanger.

#9 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 04:49 PM

I;m with Brendan. Tanger's "friend" had no business getting involved and the "no rules" issue went beyond simple gameplay to a personal attack. Also, Tanger at first denied knowing anything about it and then suddenly, when facing fear of discovery from the staff, this "friend" appears and suddenly Tanger has all the answers to make it go away.

I might not have agreed with the solo vs team approach Brendan took with the last round, but was content to let the points (or lack thereof) fall where they may. Nonetheless, no one had the right to publicly make it so personal with an alias, or an alleged "friend". GUILTY.

#10 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 07:38 PM

Innocent until proven guilty? At least let the poor man give his account before you all condemn him.

#11 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 07:41 PM

Also, can I ask what the outcome of this challenge will be? I mean...if he is found guilty is he dismissed? What happens if he is found to be innocent? Somebody has to go. What is the format for this?

Most importantly - where do the points and the Mole come into this?

#12 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 07:45 PM

As part of my job I have to be fundamentally opposed to any and all forms of homophobia. I'm not bothered that he did the act but I am bothered about the form that the act took - namely an attack ( no matter how jokingly ) against someones sexuality which I will NOT stand for.

Boot him. I don't care for anyone who even stands people who believe that gay people should be made fun of - why should I not turn round and poke fun at the rest of you because you're all heterosexual ?

Boot him. And let me get one step closer to the next round - I've had one free pass snatched from my hands and I'm not about to loose another.

Boot him.

#13 SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1946 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 08:16 PM

I think if Tanger isn't booted, he should get to decide who is.

That makes it interesting.

It also makes it even more likely that people will want to be his best chum all of a sudden.

I too am curious how the points fit into this. Surely this should be a side show with a real challenge 6 round the corner?

#14 Q-Zar

Q-Zar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 299 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 10:32 PM

I think if Tanger isn't booted, he should get to decide who is.

That makes it interesting.

It also makes it even more likely that people will want to be his best chum all of a sudden.

Or, to make it easy, everyone will declare him guilty and save their spot in the game :)

Now, personally, I wasn't insulted by "brenden hater" (which would have been weird as I was on a holiday :)), but that kind of person seems so retarded, it gets hard to believe someone like that can really exist.

However, my years surfing the internet have shown me more than once that such people do exist (unfortunately :) ), so, I won't make a judgment until the case has started and until I hear both sides.

#15 Baron Samendi

Baron Samendi

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 229 posts
  • Location:New Haven, IN<br>Bond Melee: Referee<br>CBn Mole 3: watch ur back

Posted 28 March 2004 - 10:38 PM

Ah, yes.

People like "The Brenden Hater" do certinly exist! If any of you have some evidence of him or not, tell me!

Cheers,

Baron.

#16 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 06:39 AM

This thread was closed because it was thought to be... oh, a little out of hand subject wise... but now as I have had a little chat with Matt (yes, chat with matt :)) I've opened it back up...

ok boys, play your game... but I'm telling you... if you vote Tanger out, you're erasing the wrong man...

#17 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 06:44 AM

ANNOUNCEMENT

Players,

The staff have expressed concern at where this thread could go. It is not a judgement about Tanger's place in CBn, but rather of whether his conduct in the last challenge permits him to continue playing in this game. Tanger is a valuable member of CBn, and personally I would like to see him continue in The Mole. But the decision is yours, his fellow players.

Just to clarify, the trial will work as follows.

An opening statement will be made by both Tanger and Brendan007. After this you may all ask question's of Tanger, which he may answer or not. Obviously transparency will do him the most favours. Tanger or Brendan007 may ask others for specific evidence - particularly Athena007 who initiated the investigation will have important information. After the questioning process is done (give approximately 48 hours to do so) both sides may make their closing statements before we go to the Jury vote.

Please keep this professional, if it turns into a slanging match the thread will be closed and we will have to go straight to elimination. I should add that The Mole would be very happy to see that happen - don't play into his hands.

I declare the trial now open, awaiting statements from Brendan007 and Tanger.

mb

#18 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 07:16 AM

As part of my job I have to be fundamentally opposed to any and all forms of homophobia. I'm not bothered that he did the act but I am bothered about the form that the act took - namely an attack ( no matter how jokingly ) against someones sexuality which I will NOT stand for.

That is what i took offence to as well. Brenden hater could attack me all he wants, I didnt care.
But to come out and call me 'gay' (as if its a bad thing) and the countless other homphobic comments he made was just competely out of line and should not be put up with in a forum like this.
After reading **** like this, i suddenly didnt have the enthuisiasm to spend half an hour of my time playing blackjack for this team. It wasnt the team that wore me down, it was reading homophobic **** like that which made me stop caring about a silly mole game.
This week though, I'm ready to go again, and will present my case shortly. Hopefully Tanger will make interesting (and appropriate) rebuttles to make this challenge a great one.

#19 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 07:49 AM

I'm going to close this topic again until all the CBn team members get a chance to discuss this matter further.