You Only Live Twice

9 replies to this topic

#1 mi6op

mi6op

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 02:54 AM

Hi all, I just finished the book YOLT (I've read all the Flemings in the correct order to now) and I am aware of how TMWTGG and Octopussy is kinda messed up in regards to following the flow because Fleming died while they were in progress.

My question is did any of the authors pick up where Fleming left off in how he left us in YOLT, whith Bond experiencing amnesia and finally retracing his steps, while also being an unknown father.

Perhaps TMWTGG touched this but it actually was the first Bond Novel I read, even though it was 7 years ago, I don't remember Bond coming off amnesia. I could be wrong though.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Edited by mi6op, 25 March 2004 - 02:55 AM.

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 02:56 AM

Yes, the novel, The Man with the Golden Gun, does pick up on where he left off somewhat, with Bond while unaware who is actually is, sent to murder M in London, he then remembers and the story takes place.

By the way, a hearty welcome to CBn! :)

#3 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 02:25 PM

[...] sent to murder M in London,

WOW! to murder M , that is strange... :) :)

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 05:11 PM

It's a good novel Agent76, the weakest of Fleming's, but still very good.

#5 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 05:38 PM

My question is did any of the authors pick up where Fleming left off in how he left us in YOLT, whith Bond experiencing amnesia and finally retracing his steps, while also being an unknown father.

I've not read it, but Raymond Benson's 1997 short story "Blast From the Past" (which as far as I know was only ever published in a magazine, possibly Playboy, and isn't even available online) may be considered a direct sequel to Fleming's "You Only Live Twice". I gather that the plot involves:
/spoiler.gif
the adult James Suzuki [imaginative naming there, Ray :) ], son of Kissy and Bond, working in a bank in New York, and Irma Bunt planning to avenge the death of Blofeld by murdering 007.
/gen_line.gif

Reportedly, John Gardner was often asked by fans why he didn't use the character of Bond's son. Supposedly, Glidrose (Ian Fleming Publications) wouldn't allow him to be used, but The Powers That Be obviously changed their minds after appointing Benson continuation novelist.

Also, there are brief references to the events of "You Only Live Twice" in Kingsley Amis' "Colonel Sun" and John Gardner's "For Special Services". There may be other references in other continuation novels and short stories I haven't read.

#6 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 09:13 AM

The story of TMWTGG has often been reported in that, Fleming finished it, or that he didn't.

Im of the opinion he finished it, simply because he died in August '64 and he did all his writing in Jamacia from January to March with the books published the following year. He certianlly wasn't well when he wrote it. But it's Fleming's work.

There's stories of a ghost writer being brought into polish it up. But I seriously doubt it, or at least huge sections of the book I don't believe were, or would have been changed if this were the case.

#7 Station Domino

Station Domino

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 03:16 AM

Anyone who likes Fleming's You Ony Live Twice must read Benson's short story Blast from the Past in Playboy ( Jan. 1997) and his novel the Man With the Red Tatoo.

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 03:18 AM

"Blast From the Past" is, along with "A Midsummer Night's Doom", the only two short stories I don't own yet. I look forward to getting these in the future though, as I know quite a bit about them, and would love to see the continuity.

#9 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 03:22 AM

Hi all, I just finished the book YOLT (I've read all the Flemings in the correct order to now)

Wish I should have done that! I'm planning to read YOLT for the first time when I buy it.

#10 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 08:07 AM

YOLT is definitely my favourite Fleming book. I got both YOLT and TMWTRT for Christmas and read one after the other.