This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Is Goldfinger really the best Bond film?

48 replies to this topic

#31 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 12:58 AM

it's not the best, but it is the seminal film of the series, it created the formula, it perfected the elements of a bond.....with the bond series, unlike most film series, the first is not the best, but in comparing bond to say something like jaws for instance, people think the first is the best because it had all the elements right, well goldfinger is kind of the first bond and everything after is like a sequel, but critics do tend to think of it as the first, meaning best and the rest pale next to it.....it may be the best one, but many don't even allow the possibility of successive films being better...

#32 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 06:08 AM

I think that "Goldfinger" has the best crafted story and has the best assemblage of characters of the entire series. A basic successful screenplay consists of a beginning, middle and end. In between these three acts are plot points, also known as turning points. A plot point is a situation that takes the direction of the story and spins it in another direction. "Goldfinger" follows this structure quite well. The first act has Bond trying to figure out how Goldfinger smuggles gold from country to country. He discovers one method is with his Rolls-Royce.

But Tilly's bungling, the Aston Martin chase, and the laser beam scene take the story and swing it into another direction as Bond hears the words "Operation Grand Slam". This is the first plot point. The second act has Bond deeper in Goldfinger's empire where he eventually learns what "Grand Slam" is all about. The second act usually has all odds stacked against the hero. Bond is imprisioned and cannot warn authorities about Goldfinger's plans. His seduction of Pussy Galore is the second plot point, as she turns to good and alerts the US military and switches the Delta 9 canisters.

This leads to the third act, the climax of the story, where there is a great battle and "Grand Slam" is foiled. The pre-credits scene establishes (or re-enforces) the Bond character as an action hero. The end scene is the resolution as it ties up loose ends (Goldfinger's escape from Fort Knox) and leaves Bond with some well-deserved TLC under the parachute. So that's what's right with the script. True the special effects are mostly unconvincing, especially by today's standards. But music, acting, set design, camera, editing, everything all clicked perfectly. Yes, this is my favorite Bond film.

-Joe

#33 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 11:20 AM

"Goldfinger" is THE classic Bond film, since it perfected the formula "Dr No" and "From Russia With Love" were building towards. But is it the best of the series AS A FILM? Perhaps. If not, it's probably second only "From Russia With Love".

#34 BondChick007

BondChick007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 04:11 AM

Well i think Donovan basically sumed it up for me... Goldfinger is defined as the classic bond film. I agree with what people said before, It is the formula

#35 Colonel Moon

Colonel Moon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 404 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 08:51 AM

He is one of the best

#36 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 05:52 PM

It's not the best. I like Thunderball and You Only Live Twice as the ones that made Bond what he is. Goldfinger is a bit overrated, and I'm not big on Guy Hamilton.

#37 Sir James

Sir James

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 12:11 AM

There are different kinds of Bonds for different kinds of people. The Connery's are so popular becuase they explore all the varations of a Bond film. Godlfinger and its "Goldfinger Approach" has its appeal and influence on the series just as much as any other Bond. To me I think From Russia With Love is Connerys Best and with TSLWM and GoldenEye, one of the series best. Goldfinger's importance to the series should not go unchecked however. Goldfinger put Bond on the map, and for that we are grateful. However, I think it should be judged as all the other Bonds are. It is a classic, as all the Connery's are IMO, but the series best comes down to what style of Bond you like. I will watch any style becuase in the end I am a Bond fan.

#38 boytown

boytown

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 September 2002 - 03:51 AM

I have been a 007 fan for a lot of years and saw Goldfinger as a kid. I have all the dvd's and Goldfinger is the one I can still sit all the way through for the upteenth time. There are many others that rank close honours but, in my opinion, Goldfinger is magic and my source of passion for the series. Lets hope DAD ranks as Brosnan's best to date.

I thought Connery's first 4 films were all terrific and also OHMSS, TSWLM, and Goldeneye. Guess its just opinions all around but I struggled with many of Moore's efforts which have some great Bond scenes but as a whole fall way down my list.

#39 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 05 September 2002 - 12:48 PM

I have to agree with Mr * and say that Goldfinger contains all the classic Bond elements in place for the first time and whilst not necessarily the best is absolutely the quintessential Bond film. The reputation it has has probably been perpetuated by the media rather than the fans. Goldfinger works as a model for the rest of the series to copy - it lacks the hardness of the Young films but introduces the jokieness that became a staple of Hamilton's films.
All these comments about the production values of Goldfinger are easy to defend:
It has bad back projection because that is how things were done in 1964! Back projection was the norm...as CGI is now - it is all fake! It's only a movie!
Yes, Goldfinger has weaknesses, but not many. A classic plot, a Classic villain, a classic heroine, a classic score - all neatly packages into 109 minutes without an ounce of wasted film.
The term "Best" is very hard to define - how can you pick out one film from 20 that is the best. It is like all the other pointless lists on countless forums. Opinions differ and if you like another film better then hooray for you it proves you are not a sheep and don't fall into the trap of liking something because everyone else does. It is called "Hype" backed up by "Marketing" - Ok this worked for Goldfinger and look at the reputation it has today! We are all still discussing it's merits 38 years later....
I think at lot of how you percieve a film depends on your age and which generation you grew up in. Goldfinger is certainly a product of it's generation and one that is perhaps hard for the children of the Brosnan era to understand. Goldfinger was one of the biggest films the world had ever seen at that time. It changed the way films were viewed and distributed forever. Let us say that Goldfinger is not the best Bond film but it is certainly up there with the best and always will be. It was pure gold in 1964 and still has the power to get people watching. It constantly amazes me that millions will still watch it on TV - littered with ads, cuts and interruptions. Not many films retain their original power - Goldfinger is one of that few.

#40 BondNumber7

BondNumber7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 03:04 AM

One of the great things about Connery's performances in Dr.No and From Russia With Love, is that he was dark and serious. As he killed professor Dent you knew this guy was a cold blooded killer. However, in Goldfinger Connery is given a little sunshine in which he plays the role lighter and doesn't take it as seriously. Infact, Connery acts in Goldfinger as if he thinks the producers are nuts for making this cheesy stuff. I almost think he is going to turn around and say to Guy Hamilton, "Are you kidding me with this material?" In the first two adventures Connery shows us a Bond who thinks his cases are worth investigating, and actually finds importance in them. In Goldfinger he would much rather exchange goofy remarks with Pussy Galore and look at Auric as if he's dressed as Santa Clause. Connery feels quite silly in Goldfinger as opposed to his more serious approach to the role in the previous films. Personally, I like Connery best in Dr.No, FRWL and Thunderball. I do think Goldfinger is a great film, but I feel as though Connery did what Moore would eventually do and played the role for laughs. I usually prefer the darker approaches to the role that not only Connery affectively did three times, but that has been demonstrated by Dalton and Brosnan. On the other hand there will always be a place in my heart for Moore, which might not sound believable to some who read this post.

#41 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 09:05 PM

I like Gf but i dont think its the best. maybe its me but i like to go against the norm and my fav is FRWL.

#42 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 09:10 PM

The best? No. I think because it was the first 'breakthrough' Bond film, it is generally regarded as the best by some, but over the years, many people don't always list it as Number #1. (Although it is almost always listed when one is talking about James Bond. It's certainly one of the best, and for that reason, it distinguishes itself from many of the other Bond films.

#43 Gumbold's_Safe

Gumbold's_Safe

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 10:45 PM

Yeah, it is kind of funny that I really do like GF but am rarely in the mood to watch it, preferring to watch TB, FRWL or OHMSS. What I figured out is that I am not that big a fan of the Bond films which take place in the States, such as GF and LALD. I can visit Kentucky and new Orleans fairly easily, but will probably never see Phuket or Tokyo or Egypt anytime soon. These are the Bond locations I prefer, so GF can seem a little plain to me due to its mostly Stateside setting (I like the Austrian portions best!).

#44 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 12:45 AM

i agree with the mood thing.But the originality was whats made the film what it is today.

#45 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 03:47 AM

Originally posted by Alex
-Goldfinger somehow manages to fit his enormous frame through the window and he gets sucked out to his doom.

This can happen easily with enough difference in air pressure (between inside and out). Remember, in Fleming's book (which I consider superior, by the way) it was Oddjob's fat **** which got through the window!

I'd like to re-argue that Fleming's plot for stealing the gold was better, but I've started another thread on that. Answer me this: is it really true that gold (especially gold which is locked away from nearly everyone) looses value when radioactive?

#46 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 04:19 AM

I think FRWL is the best but Goldfinger is the most classic Bond film. It's The one to show the Aliens from another galaxy when they arrive:"this is a James Bond film".

#47 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 05:11 AM

Originally posted by Donovan
I think that "Goldfinger" has the best crafted story

Interestingly enough it was A View to a Kill that corrected one of the biggest script flaws in all the 007 movies.

Why did Goldfinger feel the need to explain his plan to all those hoods if he planned to kill them anyway....It makes no sense whatsoever - the rumpus room, trick pool table, the whole thing makes absolutely no logical sense.

Jump forward 21 years and we have Max Zorin explaining his plan to industrialists on an airship in a scene that was obviously inspired by Goldfinger .... However Zorin does not kill them because he needs them as business associates to gain the monetary profit of Project Main Strike.

#48 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 06:18 AM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow

Interestingly enough it was A View to a Kill that corrected one of the biggest script flaws in all the 007 movies.

Why did Goldfinger feel the need to explain his plan to all those hoods if he planned to kill them anyway....It makes no sense whatsoever - the rumpus room, trick pool table, the whole thing makes absolutely no logical sense.

Jump forward 21 years and we have Max Zorin explaining his plan to industrialists on an airship in a scene that was obviously inspired by Goldfinger .... However Zorin does not kill them because he needs them as business associates to gain the monetary profit of Project Main Strike.

Good point. Strange that a problem in one of the most highly regarded films would be solved in one of the films that is not generally looked upon with a favorable eye. :)

#49 Oddfeld

Oddfeld

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 08:42 AM

To me, Goldfinger was the first one where all the elements that made up a Bond film for years to come fell into place. I thoroughly enjoy it every time I watch it.

The best?
No such thing.
That would require a unanimous vote, whatever the movie.