28 replies to this topic

#1 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 06:19 AM

Read up about Willard Whyte's prison, protected by Bambi and Thumper... and how you can rent it on your next vacation... Right Here from CBn's Main Page

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 06:27 AM

I've been to Palm Springs several times, but I never knew where this house was. This is VERY cool. Hmmm...we do have a 3 day weekend coming up. :)

#3 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 06:29 AM

yes... but the bigger question is: Do we have $8,871 to blow? :)

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 06:30 AM

Ummm... would you settle for a tulip?

#5 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 06:32 AM

If we could organize Bond fans around the country, and they could each chip in a bit, and the management company could, maybe, do us a deal, we could put together a two-day DAF extravaganza, including a showing of the film on a BIG-SCREEN television. I'm incredbiyl up for this. Anyone think this is a great idea?

#6 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 06:34 AM

Ummm... would you settle for a tulip?

Mmm, yes.

#7 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 06:36 AM

If we could organize Bond fans around the country, and they could each chip in a bit, and the management company could, maybe, do us a deal, we could put together a two-day DAF extravaganza, including a showing of the film on a BIG-SCREEN television. I'm incredbiyl up for this. Anyone think this is a great idea?

Wade... I like your thinking. It would be great if one could get a bunch of people interested in this. But how many people would one have to get to cut that pri$e down, eh? Would be QUITE cool... a Bond Sleepover :) lol

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 06:38 AM

BCW8.

We need to talk to Matt. :)

#9 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 06:42 AM

Good idea, Zen... Matt, yes... I'm going to e-mail him right now :)

#10 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 06:42 AM

Maybe we could also invite Trina Parks and Lola Larson. :)

#11 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 07:27 AM

Double the trouble... double the fun... :)

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 12:09 PM

Oh, very neat! I've always thought that sequence in the film to be quite cool! The price definitely shows that others also like the place.

#13 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 09:30 PM

Is there a telephone in the bathroom and a video unit where we can see what goes on in the other parts of the house?

#14 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 10:15 PM

hee hee... probably not, Turn. That could be dangerous :) :)

You know... the main room with the retracting ceiling is just cool. I mean what a great atmosphere! :)

#15 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 06:55 PM

Nice house, shame about the film.

#16 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 07:52 PM

Nice house, shame about the film.

We may disagree about Brosnan... but I do think we see eye to eye on DAF :)

#17 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 08:31 PM

Oh, c'mon, that house, for the few minutes it was in Diamonds Are Forever, rocked! And the film itself is rather good. :)

I've just always thought it a neat little place in the film!

#18 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 08:33 PM

Oh, c'mon, that house, for the few minutes it was in Diamonds Are Forever, rocked! And the film itslef is rather good. :)

I've just always thought it a neat little place in the film!

To be fair, that house scene is one of the highlights of the film. I bet Sensualist likes Bambi and Thumper - very, very kinky indeed! :)

Hmmm.... actually, I'm now in the mood to give my DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER DVD another spin. Later. :)

#19 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 08:36 PM

LOL! Enjoy!

I don't know exactly why, but Diamonds Are Forever has really grown on me since the first time I saw it years ago.

Bambi and Thumper are indeed two girls that can really kick :) too! :) Even so, the house itself is really neat. The rock that Thumper is on, the overlooking of the pool, I just love it.

#20 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 10:56 PM

LOL! Enjoy!

I did, to my huge surprise. :)

I've realised I've really underrated DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER all these years. It really is quite terrific fun (although, with my "critical" hat on, I'd still say there's an awful lot wrong with it - for instance, and as weird as this sounds, Connery seems to be trying simultaneously to play Bond in a more serious fashion than usual and a more jokey fashion than usual.... which doesn't quite work).

All the Connery/Jill St John scenes are pure gold - never realised before quite how much chemistry there is between them. Not sexual chemistry, but they seem to play very well together as actors. Also, there are plenty of enormously funny lines (from all and sundry - every man and his dog gets at least one funny line in this film), and lovely moments - hey, can you really dislike a movie in which 007 strikes up a polite conversation with a rat? (I also love the shot of Wint and Kint driving away from the pipeline, laughing like Beavis and Butt-Head.)

DAF is great to look at, too, but what truly makes the picture is Barry's gorgeous score.

Like I say, tremendous fun. :) I think I've become a DAF convert (which I'm sure Freemo will be pleased to read). :)

#21 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 02:01 AM

I love DAF, warts and all. Always have. Always will. Maybe because it was my first. :)

#22 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 04:09 AM

Thanks for the article Athena! Its great to finally see the floor plan to the Elrod-Lautner estate, get a glimpse of other rooms in the house, and see how it was remodelled/updated since Diamonds Are Forever.

Are the yellow glass flowers on the ceiling in the kitchen by glass artist Dale Chihuly?

#23 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 08:54 AM

I think I've become a DAF convert (which I'm sure Freemo will be pleased to read). :)

Very pleased to hear it Loomster. Leave the critical hat on the hat stand and enjoy Diamonds Are Forever for the splendid piece of cinema that it is.

#24 BondNumber7

BondNumber7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 10:16 PM

Read up about Willard Whyte's prison, protected by Bambi and Thumper... and how you can rent it on your next vacation... Right Here from CBn's Main Page

I was born in Palm Springs in 1975, and the Whyte, Thumper, Bambi house was open in the early and late seventies for tourism in which my parents took me to see on a couple of occasions when I was around 2, 3, and 4 years of age. They visited the house even before I was born, so this is nothing new Athena. I guess it reopened after many years of being closed to the public.

#25 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 10:22 PM

...so this is nothing new Athena.

Actually... what I reported on the house was and is new. The fact that it's for rent -- It's not brand-brand new news, but it is new news. You see, it was open to the pubic as you say and then for a while there it was on the market to be sold, unfortunately (or fortunately, however one sees it) it didn't sell. So now it's out there for vacation rent.

it's cool that you got to see it back then though :) Great stuff. I hope I can get out there sometime too.

#26 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 10:35 PM

Well it's ALL news to me...and I've been to Palm Springs several times. How did I miss this?

I wanna go see it. :)

#27 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 05 April 2004 - 01:45 AM

I really love this house, but even being a Bond fan my favourite dream house is Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water. That house is way too famous now to be used in a Bond movie nowadays I guess, but it would've been a really cool place to have been used in the earlier movies, even if it wasn't set in the US.

#28 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 04:05 AM

How about Bond battling Blofeld in the Brady Bunch house? There could be an epic struggle on the staircase, and then Alice sneaks up behind Ernst and brains him with a frying pan. We could call it, "A View to a Skillet." "Marcia Never Dies." Or "Mike Another Brady"

(I apologize in advance.)

#29 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:50 AM

Frank Lloyd Wright's work is fantastic. I'm not really one to remember most names (of anyone, including archetects), but I've always loved architecture -- I took a 3D art class once where we had to design houses and build models of them. I designed one house, 2 stories -- the 2nd story was only one room, a round room which rotated and the ceiling opened up so one could view the stars at night.