95 replies to this topic

#31 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:12 PM

I hate to say it...but a TCA II sequal would be cheezy, unless, as someone else has suggested they do it ala "The Thin Man."

A THOMAS CROWN 2 might have worked a few years ago, but I think they've left it too late now. The main problem is that Rene Russo turned 50 this year - can you imagine a studio pouring tens of millions into a romantic comedy with a 50-year-old female lead? I don't think they could recast the role of Catherine Banning, and what would be the point of getting a new character for Thomas Crown to fall for? For me, the chemistry between Banning and Crown and their passionate yet very odd relationship was what made THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR work, and I do believe the film left scope for those things to be developed further in a followup. But now it's just too late in the day.

Also, not sure that there's any public demand for THOMAS CROWN 2. TCA wasn't that big a hit.

#32 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:15 PM

TCA only took in about 70 mil in the US, but then again, MGM did greenlight a Cody Banks 2, which only took in 47!

#33 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:16 PM

A THOMAS CROWN 2 might have worked a few years ago, but I think they've left it too late now. The main problem is that Rene Russo turned 50 this year - can you imagine a studio pouring tens of millions into a romantic comedy with a 50-year-old female lead?

Loomis I have three words for you:

Something's Gotta Give

Yes, it can be done, but scripts like that are few and far between.

And getting back to Mr. Ry....for the record his friend reminds me of Minnie Driver from Good Will Hunting, so it looks like Ry is on the right track after all. :)

-- Xen

#34 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:20 PM

I hate to say it...but a TCA II sequal would be cheezy, unless, as someone else has suggested they do it ala "The Thin Man."

That's what I just said, "The Charactures have done their story, there's no where to go without it being a bad-cheesy sequal."

I also think that done in any way it would be cheezy. Unless they compleatly re-cast Rene, but they can't do that becasue on of the point of the first film was that these two twisted people finally found their mate, they would be married (which the producers said) in the 2nd film. You change cast in the second film you totally scratch the first film. You bring them back married, it just doesn't work.

TCA was good. The producers are right to not mess with it.

#35 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:24 PM

I have yet to understand why folks think that two people can't be married, whacky, and still have lots of fun.

I forgot to add the bit "I agree with Athena" but then again, I thought everyone would know I was agreeing with you. Alas.

I don't know folks...is the best we can hope for is Renee as a Bond woman and her and Bond doing the tango?

-- Xenobia

#36 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:26 PM

Just for a giggle, does anyone have any cool ideas for a THOMAS CROWN 2? Xen? zen? Athena? Anyone else?

My own initial idea would be: Crown and Banning are now living in Monaco or somewhere like that (think 60s jewel thief caper-type flick), and Crown's gorgeous adopted daughter flies in from New York with a new boyfriend in tow. Guess what? They're going to get married! The boyfriend is a mysterious young smoothie whom Crown immediately has checked out, but he can't seem to find any information on him. And then the guy spills the beans to Crown one night over a few drinks: he's an international jewel thief, rather like David Niven's character in the PINK PANTHERs. And he needs Crown's help. He wants Crown to aid him in knocking off a museum somewhere in Europe to steal something that (and we'll think of a reason why later on) his fiancee really, really needs. The ideal wedding present, perhaps. Crown, being a devil-may-care adventurer and risk junkie, agrees to help his future son-in-law plan and execute the job, but soon starts wondering whether the guy's an undercover cop just trying to set him up.

Well, that's all I can think of for now. :)

#37 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:28 PM

People can be married and have fun. But at the end of TCA they were done with their shenanigans. So you can

#38 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:28 PM

Or, if you want, you could turn it around, have both Crown and Catherine help with the job, and then at the very last minute, they nap the fiancee for being a jewel thief because...TATA....Crown and Banning are both now working for the insurance companies.

Hey...that works.

Kinda.

It's better than Kangeroo Jack.

*ahem*

I'll go back to work now.

-- Xenobia

#39 Clopin

Clopin

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:34 PM

Okay, now that everybody who was there at the screening has agreed that it was a fun night, well, why don't you throw some light on this event let the rest of us know a bit more about the atmosphere and which questions where asked - and more important - which were answered. Is nobody able to give us some kind of report on this event? I guess some others out there - including myself - would really like to share your happiness about this event and know more about it. I mean with 6 hardcore CBn Bond fans on the location it should be possible to put together some kind of a great report with all your different views to a thrill... :)

#40 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:37 PM

Clopin... I'm planning on writing up a detailed "report" :) BUT... can't really do it while I'm at work... BUT I will have one done soon enough :)

#41 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:38 PM

I think Athena was saying on the other page she is working on typing something up. Patience Clopin. Good things come to those who wait.

-- X

edit: OK....great minds think alike, as you can see. :)

#42 Clopin

Clopin

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:40 PM

Finally... It doesn't need more to make me happy..! Thanks in advance, Athena. I'm really looking forward to this.

#43 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:40 PM

A question from a big fan of TCA's director, John McTiernan, which I'd be grateful if Athena could answer in her report: did Brosnan talk about McTiernan? If so, what did he say?

#44 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 11:04 PM

Loomis... I hate to say this, but I don't remember hearing anything about John McTiernan, but i could have just been zoneing out looking at Pierce at the time they mentioned his name. Zencat might have to take this one...

oh and since I don't have a write up yet... more pictures...
"The Bond Boys" :)

Attached Files

#45 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 11:07 PM

The Bond Girls :)

Attached Files

#46 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 11:10 PM

Loomis... I hate to say this, but I don't remember hearing anything about John McTiernan, but i could have just been zoneing out looking at Pierce at the time they mentioned his name. Zencat might have to take this one...

That's cool, Athena (and cheers for the very speedy response). :) To be honest, I wouldn't have expected Brosnan to talk much about McTiernan. I guess he was really only a "hired gun" for MGM/IDT. Poor chap's career seems to be really in the toilet after ROLLERBALL and BASIC. :) Hopefully, if THOMAS CROWN 2 does happen, they'll get McT back.

#47 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 11:11 PM

Nice shots....you ladies certainly did give Keely a good run for her money.

Speaking of....was the Mrs. there?

-- Xen

#48 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 11:15 PM

Great pic Athena!

I will add that I got to drop a good line on Athena last night as we said our farewells.

With my upcoming travel with 004, this was to be the last time I'd see everyone before leaving.

Looking the lovely Athena up and down I simply said:

"Well Moneypenny, anyone seeing you in this outfit would most certainly be discouraged from leaving the country....But I'm going anyway."

We already have agreed on what is to be brought back from Holland.

Looking forward to the full story later my dear.

:)

#49 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 11:19 PM

The Mrs [Keely] was no where is sight... which is why Pierce was hott for me :) Ok, I'm dreaming there but we did meet eyes... eeeee!!! I know, I'm a dork... but it was really great, I really appreciated his attention. I admire him so much, he

Attached Files

#50 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 11:24 PM

Man - I love that pic!

:)

#51 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 12:36 AM

oh and since I don't have a write up yet... more pictures...
"The Bond Boys" :)

Both Pierce and Beau talked about McTiernan quite a bit, but they always said "McT," which is why you don't remember (AND you were zoning on Pierce). They seemed to be big fans. But it was clear Pierce really loved John Calley who ran MGM back then (and later gave MGM grief when he went to Sony and hooked up with Kevin McClory). Pierce said just like the character Thomas Crown, because of Calley they "got away with it" back then (i.e., making an intelligent, good movie).

#52 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 02:38 AM

ok... NO laughing :) I already know I'm a cheeze-puff :)

This is just my little moment with Pierce :)

I felt like a shy little girl inching my way up to a man that I admire so much. But inside I was as nervous as a butterfly. Soon I made my way through, getting closer and closer to him. I was looking up at him; he

#53 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 02:54 AM

and very well done it was Athena.

You're cooler under fire than you think.

MEANWHILE - Zencat and I chatted (albeit briefly) with the lovely and obviously weary Beau St. Clair. She certainly knew Zencat (who was kind enough to allow me an introduction - things like this can always be awkward - Thanks John :) ) and I brought up the "Thin Man" notion - Of the question cards handed out, mine was one of the selected one's - YES, I too locked eyes with Pierce (from a considerably greater distance than Athena). He now knows the name and the face....Speaking of which, he hasn't called about catching a few pints tonight - He's probably out with Athena...

It was just an amazing night and fun time with 007 himself (even if he was not in 007 mode) and all those present.

Great pics Athena. Zencat - Thanks again for the moment of intro. Ry - We've got some scripts to swap. Solex - Bad Golf soon, eh?

Cheers all.

#54 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 06:02 AM

You know...last night I thought playing with my Bond dolls was enough. Clearly, it isn't. :)

I am very proud of you Athena. You did a great job talking to the man. He is a technophobe, so he probably looks at the website from a distance, nods, runs, and hides. :)

Very nice work one and all.

-- Xenobia

#55 Ry

Ry

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 06:02 AM

Zencat and Bryce..let's PM tomorrow and I'll get the scripts out to you ASAP.

#56 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 07:07 AM

Ry... Maybe you could Kill Bill II [too?] when you PM with ZenCat? That would be great. :)

#57 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 18 March 2004 - 09:36 AM

Here's a quick shot I took during the "shop-talk".

A damn fine night!

"A Pink Rose With Two Thorns"

#58 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 09:49 AM

Here's a quick shot I took during the "shop-talk".

"A Pink Rose With Two Thorns"

Great quote, BC... I love it! :) LOL

#59 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 12:23 PM

Inside the theater we weren

Attached Files

#60 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 01:59 PM

[quote name='Athena007' date='18 March 2004 - 12:38'] ok... NO laughing :) I already know I'm a cheeze-puff :)

This is just my little moment with Pierce :)

I felt like a shy little girl inching my way up to a man that I admire so much. But inside I was as nervous as a butterfly. Soon I made my way through, getting closer and closer to him. I was looking up at him; he